Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:46:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized?  (Read 46592 times)
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:35:17 PM

I knew it was a human mistake... thanks for clearing that up, though I don't like the part where the information was extracted from the forum...

I wonder what will happen to all of those 3.6 million BTC that was seized.

>3M USD in BTC, not 3M BTC...

I hope you are right on this one. I wouldn't like the feds to have the power to dump 3m btc, 24k btc can't actually hurt the market...

uhh, silkroad was a huge part of BTC economy.. its not just the bitcoins that will be dumped, its the impact on the btc economy itself..

Winterfrost

Activity: 633
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:37:42 PM

Read the indictment. They are monitoring these forums (and much more), they looked how a guy called "altoid" mentioned SR very early on, he had registered that account with his real email (BTW, Theymos: how did they get the email through which he registered his btctalk account?).

See this post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47811.msg568744#msg568744

He put his email in the thread itself.

IncreaseMyT

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 04:39:01 PM

I knew it was a human mistake... thanks for clearing that up, though I don't like the part where the information was extracted from the forum...

I wonder what will happen to all of those 3.6 million BTC that was seized.

>3M USD in BTC, not 3M BTC...

I hope you are right on this one. I wouldn't like the feds to have the power to dump 3m btc, 24k btc can't actually hurt the market...

They won't dump it, they just secured some interest in an up and coming market Smiley
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:39:10 PM

uhh, silkroad was a huge part of BTC economy.. its not just the bitcoins that will be dumped, its the impact on the btc economy itself..

It wont take long for several other darknet marketplaces to fill that vacuum.
UncleBobs

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

It From Bit

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 04:42:09 PM

The real fallout will only become apparent when Hank's team gets the results of their analysis of the bitcoins that have flowed through SR.  Then we're all going to find out what "pseudo-anonymous" really means.

Probably a good time to sell, speculation-wise...

Disobey the Thought Police.  Resist Totalitarian Humanism.
http://attackthesystem.com/?s=totalitarian+humanism
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Hello!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:43:12 PM

How many silkroad clones will there be next month?
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:43:42 PM

Wouldn't it be more likely that the owner made a human mistake and got caught somehow?

Read the indictment. They are monitoring these forums (and much more), they looked how a guy called "altoid" mentioned SR very early on, he had registered that account with his real email (BTW, Theymos: how did they get the email through which he registered his btctalk account?). So they thoroughly monitored "Ross Ulbricht", and they realized he had the same interests of DPR - they wrote about the same books, liked the same videos... So they started to follow his moves... And they caught him.

They are watching.

Of critical interest?

BTC Long.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:43:59 PM

Wouldn't it be more likely that the owner made a human mistake and got caught somehow?

Read the indictment. They are monitoring these forums (and much more), they looked how a guy called "altoid" mentioned SR very early on, he had registered that account with his real email (BTW, Theymos: how did they get the email through which he registered his btctalk account?). So they thoroughly monitored "Ross Ulbricht", and they realized he had the same interests of DPR - they wrote about the same books, liked the same videos... So they started to follow his moves... And they caught him.

They are watching.

source?

The indictment: http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:44:09 PM

How many silkroad clones will there be next month?

Probably a dozen with 11 of them figuring out a way to steal the bitcoins being used from gullible users.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:44:19 PM

Has anybody posted "THIS IS A GOOD THING" yet?

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:46:23 PM

What's good about theft and the results unfavorable regulatory environments?

BTC Long.
MoneyMorpheus

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 04:48:30 PM

I've read that already somewhere around, one claimed that he didn't wanted btc associated with SR, to be honest I feel the same way.

Best altcoin exchange: https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=241-35101
https://bter.com/signup/121418 | You may run into issues some time, but support will take care of you threw qq in chinese hours
1EGoA5LMV391Psf8ZHShTkTd3tQ6URKQEp
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:50:21 PM

If his onion site was compromised, that means that these communications about DPR ordering hits could also be faked.
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:51:35 PM

I've read that already somewhere around, one claimed that he didn't wanted btc associated with SR, to be honest I feel the same way.

How do you feel about cash being associated with buying weed? Or cocaine? Maybe you should tell those folks you don't like your dollars being associated... bottom line is currency will be used to purchase items. There is nothing inherently wrong with what SR was doing - what's wrong is the overstepping of jurisdiction by the US, crushing personal freedoms and enforcing lifestyle mandates as well as long term incarceration for voluntary behaviors. If no one was buying anything, what's the point of a medium of transfer? Let people buy what they want, so long as they aren't bothering you. SR wasn't just a boon to BTC, it was a boon to the world, circumventing tyrannical oppression of lifestyle mandate...

Hell, our tax -dollars- buy bombs and murders all day, far more than have ever even been considered to purchase with coin, I don't see enough people complaining to those ordering the hits..

BTC Long.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:51:42 PM

They are watching.

Of critical interest?

Remember that db leak back in 2011?

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:51:57 PM

That the US govt has agents who can actually catch somebody if they put their minds to it and prove they are not incompetent?

That the golden boy of silk road was scum if the accusations are true and really belongs in prison?

That we can wait and see if bitcoin has legs and can withstand SR failing overnight?
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:53:03 PM

For those worried about the effect it's going to have on the price of Bitcoin, it seems to have stabilised around 134 and there are plenty willing to buy at that price point.

Who knows what 24 hours will bring!

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:53:55 PM

Crazy shit:

bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:55:48 PM

Probably a good time to sell, speculation-wise...

Or to buy  Wink

Let's see how good our forecasting skills are.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:57:47 PM

Crazy shit:

Wow I hate to say this.. but the owner of silkroad is an idiot..

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: