Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:44:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized?  (Read 46592 times)
MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:04:50 PM

A second document alleges that private communications recovered from the Silk Road's computer server suggested the suspect had been willing to pursue violent means to defend his interests.

It said that messages sent in March and April indicated he had "solicited a murder-for-hire" of a Canadian Silk Road user nicknamed FriendlyChemist who had tried to extort money by threatening to release the identities of thousands of the site's users.
FBI notice It is no longer possible to access the Silk Road's website

Subsequent messages indicated he had been sent a photograph of the victim after paying $150,000 to have the blackmailer killed.

"I've received the picture and deleted it. Thank you again for your swift action," Mr Ulbricht is alleged to have written to an assassin.

However, the court documents note that Canadian law enforcers have said there was no record of a homicide taking place in White Rock, British Columbia at the time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KGambler

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:06:29 PM

I like the quote on page 13 of the criminal complaint (http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf).
"Bitcoins are not illegal in and of themselves and have known legitimate uses."

lol

I guess they intend to sell the seized BTC at auction.  Roll Eyes

Likely to be used in more honey pots.

Good point.  They may be able to keep them for use as assets in future investigations.
arabianights

Activity: 53

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:06:41 PM

pretty obvious TOR has a vulnerability that is being actively exploited - I suppose it's just about possible that freedom hosting was coincidentally found and then every other TOR site was screwed from TORMAIL... but I doubt it.

Wonder if the blackmailer was the prick behind freedom hosting. It's not as if he was a nice guy.

I have some unencrypted stuff on silk road but I have already had the joy of being convicted for it so I hope they waste many hours investigating me  Grin (sniffer dog coincidentally finding something then watch put on my mail, combined with me not really giving a shit about consequences - not likely to have been a sophsiticated operation!)

As for putting a hit on someone, obviously it's not something that most of us could ever justify. But I can see how an idealist could. One prick blackmailer dead versus the many deaths and thousnads of ruined lives that would be an inevitable consequence of a massive silk road leak.

Remember the reason drug dealers (some of them) are so violent is ultimately because they cannot go to the police. It is a direct consequence of the state sponsored war on drugs and the blood is on the politicians' hands.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:08:41 PM

However, the court documents note that Canadian law enforcers have said there was no record of a homicide taking place in White Rock, British Columbia at the time.

Do you really think a person on the silk road just went up and shot someone. They probably used a poison method.

Death by poison would be considered a homicide as well, Sherlock..

arabianights

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:09:19 PM

By the way, if I were trying to get DPR and were a shady spook, I would arrange this sort of thing so he can deny being responsible for the messages... at which point the question becomes which messages WERE you responsible for? After all denying responsibilty 100% ain't gonna wash. Plea bargain here we come...
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:09:42 PM

so is it confirmed bitcointalk admins turned him in basically? in regards to gave his gmail account from his forum post?  thats really shitty to do IMO knowing you are risking the safety of many forum users

You should probably learn to read: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47811.msg568744#msg568744
i did read, do you think i made this out of nowhere? look:
Agents attempting to track the Silk Road founder looked back into early promotion of the site, looking at messages posted on drug discussion forums and WordPress blogs by a user named “altoid”. Agents tracked this name to a Gmail address, which they then claim was registered to Ulbricht.
Read more at http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/10/silk-road-founder-arrested/#JY38196O3lX0cPIz.99

i was misinformed, SORRY ADMINS MY BAD.

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:10:08 PM

A second document alleges that private communications recovered from the Silk Road's computer server suggested the suspect had been willing to pursue violent means to defend his interests.

Not to be a broken record, but nothing that the FBI alleges originates from the server can be trusted.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:10:15 PM

Do you really think a person on the silk road just went up and shot someone. They probably used a poison method.

Not if they aren't looking for it. Look up Robert "Iceman" Kuklinski, many of the people he killed were never linked due to the fact he used poison and it looked like a heart attack.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:10:30 PM

I've read it all now, and it was interesting.  They definitely did a lot of work on it.

It should be useful for anyone setting up a S.R. replacement as a list of things to avoid doing.  

Overall, after reading the report, I must say that I was impressed by the good work of the FBI on this case.
cbhelp

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:11:22 PM

pretty obvious TOR has a vulnerability that is being actively exploited - I suppose it's just about possible that freedom hosting was coincidentally found and then every other TOR site was screwed from TORMAIL... but I doubt it.

Wonder if the blackmailer was the prick behind freedom hosting. It's not as if he was a nice guy.

I have some unencrypted stuff on silk road but I have already had the joy of being convicted for it so I hope they waste many hours investigating me  Grin

As for putting a hit on someone, obviously it's not something that most of us could ever justify. But I can see how an idealist could. One prick blackmailer dead versus the many deaths and thousnads of ruined lives that would be an inevitable consequence of a massive silk road leak.

Remember the reason drug dealers (some of them) are so violent is ultimately because they cannot go to the police. It is a direct consequence of the state sponsored war on drugs and the blood is on the politicians' hands.

I think:

Blackmailer = Assassain.

They found no proof that anyone was murdered, as the assassain stated.  Assassain  and blackmailer, one and the same.  Only reason the blackmailer stopped blackmailing after payment received.  Obvious scam against DPR is obvious
LilGhost

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:12:13 PM

It JUST happened.....I see btc going down a bit, but rebounding.  Might be a nice time to buy

My thoughts exactly.
arabianights

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:12:43 PM

Not if they aren't looking for it. Look up Robert "Iceman" Kuklinski, many of the people he killed were never linked due to the fact he used poison and it looked like a heart attack.

The messages allegedly gave the blackmailer's "details".

And yeah I agree that if it wasn't a government, the blackmailer was definitely the "contract killer". Probably pissing himself laughing until he hears about this.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:13:22 PM

Considering that proof of the murder was sent via a photo, the method probably left more of a mark than poison or a heart attack.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
arabianights

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:13:57 PM

It JUST happened.....I see btc going down a bit, but rebounding.  Might be a nice time to buy

My thoughts exactly.

I was going to dump a hell of a lot of bitcoins but decided against it given the big money is clearly on the bid again. Still, I dumped a few...
arabianights

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:15:07 PM

Considering that proof of the murder was sent via a photo, the method probably left more of a mark than poison or a heart attack.

It is well known photos cannot be edited and there is no such thing as makeup or special effects
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:15:40 PM

IMHO, it was a good thing for bitcoin that it was taken down. It made people think that bitcoin was a currency used only for illegal purposes. Of course, people are going to hate this post.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
KGambler

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:16:12 PM

It's naive to believe that the way they say they found him is the way they actually found him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_construction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_mass_surveillance_disclosures

The Special Operations Division (SOD) of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration advises DEA agents to practice parallel construction when creating criminal cases against Americans that are actually based on NSA warrantless surveillance.[3]

There could be a CI involved... the NSA could have sifted through emails... there could be a vulnerability of TOR that the NSA would not like to make public...  There is just no reason at all to believe what it says in the indictment is the actual way they identified him.  We already know that they make a mockery of the "justice system" by engaging in what they call "parallel construction".
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:16:40 PM

It is well known photos cannot be edited and there is no such thing as makeup or special effects
I'm just saying that a picture of someone just lying there, with no obvious signs of trauma, wouldn't be much proof.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

Ugh. Posting your email on the forums, advertising SR...paying for a hit on someone.. come on man.

Yes... paying for a hit on someone Huh, his image has gone from Entrepreneur Genius to Clever Thug. Hell, they even confiscated his bitcoins. Why weren't the majority of them in a brain wallet? And still living in the USA? He should have been living incognito in Russia or SE Asia by now.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:19:31 PM

It's naive to believe that the way they say they found him is the way they actually found him.

There are a lot of naive people in Bitcoin. I could list examples of scams but we all know them already.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: