Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 01:54:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silkroad closed down. Owner Arrested.  (Read 9641 times)
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 05:27:41 PM

Bitcoin is much bigger than SR, in the long run this will be a good thing!

Not really. Most (all) of the sites that accept bitcoin directly, or through a payment processor, look like bodega shops.
Counterexample: OKCupid (Alexa <1000, used by plenty of non-technical people). Also premium subscriptions on 4chan (Alexa <1000) and reddit (Alexa <100).

Long-term, this is not going to have a catastrophic effect. Short-term, well, we're seeing a crash at this very moment, and it'll probably go some distance before things level out.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:28:56 PM

How did they "seize" bitcoins? 

Just how they can seize your computer Smiley.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 05:29:45 PM

How did they "seize" bitcoins?  
Silkroad has a government closure notice, so they obviously obtained control over its servers.

Given that, and given that Silkroad didn't use brainwallets for ops money, control over the Bitcoin private keys - and thus, the bitcoins - is trivial.

Edit: Then again, unless we've seen a huge, tens-of-thousands-of-BTC transaction in the last 48 hours, it's possible that the FBI has merely assumed the above without actually taking possession of the bitcoins. In which case, if a bailed Ross Ulbricht has access to a wallet backup...

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:33:44 PM

The FBI has also seized approximately $3.6m (£2,2m) worth of bitcoins - a virtual currency.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24373759

The question then becomes. Will the US Government sell the BTC to pay its debts or hold?

The wallet is mostly likely password protected.  The feds can see the balance but wont be able to spend it without a password.  Either a keylogger needed to be installed or ulrich gives the password.
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 05:40:24 PM

The wallet is mostly likely password protected.  The feds can see the balance but wont be able to spend it without a password.  Either a keylogger needed to be installed or ulrich gives the password.
That's only the case if Silk Road didn't support instant withdrawal.

If instant withdrawal was supported, then there was a hot wallet that can't be password protected (or is password protected with a plaintext password stored elsewhere - equally useless). Of course, given that the seized BTC stash is less than 10% of the supposed commissions collected during Silk Road's operation, there's a significant chance that Silk Road has a cold password-protected wallet not covered by the reported seizure, and a near-surety that Ulbricht has other coins at some other address.

Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:42:12 PM

The FBI has also seized approximately $3.6m (£2,2m) worth of bitcoins - a virtual currency.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24373759

The question then becomes. Will the US Government sell the BTC to pay its debts or hold?

He will definitely give the password if it gets him a plea of some sort. Thats a lot of money to just leave hanging out there and the FBI will probably want to do something with it. Especially considering there is a chance that somebody else out there knows the password and has the wallet.dat

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 05:49:26 PM

Watching the recent block confirmations. A lot of big transfers by fat wallets. Either some involved party is busy hauling off Silkroad's corpse, or this crash is going deeper than I expected.

Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:50:12 PM

I don't think the btc can be seized. I imagine the private key is stashed somewhere far away from any digital device he may have utilized.

If I was him I would have had the private key laser-etched into a piece of gold jewelry and stashed in a safe deposit box in some unknown country. Come back from prison 20 years later and collect your btc.

I don't think anyone will ever get at it, or at least if he was smart they never will.
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 05:52:12 PM

I don't think the btc can be seized. I imagine the private key is stashed somewhere far away from any digital device he may have utilized.
So your contention is that Silkroad, a website that processes tens of thousands of bitcoins worth of transactions every month, has no hot wallet?

Rival

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:53:41 PM

So your contention is that Silkroad, a website that processes tens of thousands of bitcoins worth of transactions every month, has no hot wallet?

A hot wallet is only required to make payments, but is not needed to receive them.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 05:53:49 PM

Wow. That happened very suddenly, didn't it?

Question is, is Bitcoin now dead? Probably (hopefully) not.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:55:48 PM

So reading the complaint IF (and this is a big IF) the FBI is correct then the SR is many magnitudes larger than most predicted.

All told, the site has generated sales revenue totally over 9.5 million Bitcoins and collected commissions from these sales totaling over 600,00 Bitcoins.  Although the value of Bitcoins has varied significantly during the site's lifetime, these figures are roughly equivelent today of approximately $1.2 billion in sales and approximately $80 million in commissions.

pg 6 (section 16).  Sadly the pdf is an image not copyable text so I am not going to hand copy a larger quote.

http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf

On edit:  I guess that isn't as surprising as I thought.  SR has been around ~30 months.  $1.2 billion / 30 = $40 million per month.  In 2012 a study estimated volume at $10M to $15M per month.  In a followup about 6 months later sales were reported to have increased significantly and the author said $40M wasn't unlikely.  I guess just seeing it as a single aggregate figure was shocking.
Gimmelfarb

Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:57:16 PM

So reading the complaint IF (and this is a big IF) the FBI is correct then the SR is many magnitudes larger than most predicted.

All told, the site has generated sales revenue totally over 9.5 million Bitcoins and collected commissions from these sales totaling over 600,00 Bitcoins.  Although the value of Bitcoins has varied significantly during the site's lifetime, these figures are roughly equivelent today of approximately $1.2 billion in sales and approximately $80 million in commissions.

pg 6 (section 16).  Sadly the pdf is an image not copyable text so I am not going to hand copy a larger quote.

http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf
and who said that bitcoin economy wasn't made by silk road!!? now all we have are half-baked gambling sites and ghetto-as-shit merchants via bitpay!!
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:57:21 PM

Wow. That happened very suddenly, didn't it?

Sure, Bitcoin died many times already - it is getting good at that.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:57:34 PM

I would think that Silkroad's hot wallet is encrypted as well. I mean, you'd probably just store the encryption key in memory, and just re-enter the key every time you reboot, or am I missing something? Most things aren't smart enough to get the encryption key directly from memory rather than just taking the private keys from the disk.

Chronikka

Merit: 504

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:58:48 PM

Watching the recent block confirmations. A lot of big transfers by fat wallets. Either some involved party is busy hauling off Silkroad's corpse, or this crash is going deeper than I expected.

Oh its a full on crash at this point. Look at the trade volume on http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:00:57 PM

Bitcoin existed before Silk Road.

It'll exist after.

Maybe we'll return to $2/coin for a while, but whatever. Even if you think the black market is necessary for a bitcoin-denominated economy to sustain itself (I don't), that just means it's an obvious niche and sooner or later someone with better identity security will step in to fill Silk Road's shoes.

and who said that bitcoin economy wasn't made by silk road!!? now all we have are half-baked gambling sites and ghetto-as-shit merchants via bitpay!!
Don't forget OKCupid (Alexa <1000), 4chan (Alexa <1000), and Reddit (Alexa <100).

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:01:51 PM

If they sell it and cause a flash crash, there are plenty in the wings waiting to pick them up.

This is undoubtedly going to cause a significant drop in price. The question is for how deep and how long before it rises back up again.
like me ill swoop up as much as i can for anything under 50

Rival

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:02:11 PM

My website has two wallets. One holds the customer accounts and balances, and the other holds the "house" profit. The private key for the house wallet does not exist anywhere in digital form. No one ever anywhere can possibly compromise the house wallet without physical access to that private key. And that key is not even in my personal possession, although I know exactly where it is. Someday I will use it, but not for many years to come.

Kind of like burying gold bricks in the desert. No one will ever find them without the map. If he thinks like I do those btc will never be recovered unless he chooses to recover them.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:02:19 PM

Goddamit!

Just like DPR got fucked over by technology, so did I!

I had both http://www.bitcoin-tools.de/index.html AND http://namcdn.com/btcalarm/
running on Firefox AND Opera with alarms set to under 137$ and they all failed me!

Dammit.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: