Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:37:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp is goxing?  (Read 4938 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:16:23 PM

it's not like I have a life to live besides reading and scouring bitcointalk

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:35:34 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2013, 04:57:44 PM by Trading

Basically, they are blackmailing customers: give me copies of your personal documents or say goodbye to your money. Paypal and Gox do the same thing. The only correct way to implement a new KYC policy is to freeze the selling of bitcoins, but still allow bitcoin withdraws and the buying of bitcoins with fiat in order to withdraw.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:38:22 PM

Basically, they are blackmailing costumers: give me copies of your personal documents or say goodbye to your money. Paypal and Gox do the same thing. The only correct way to implement a new KYC policy is to freeze the selling of bitcoins, but still allow bitcoin withdraws and the buying of bitcoins with fiat in order to withdraw.

yup; which is why i'm boycotting their service now

bitdraw

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:59:35 PM

email notification about the change would have been nice ... not like it's some small change to the service.

I just don't want to send my scanned passport, what to do now? :/

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:01:38 PM

email notification about the change would have been nice ... not like it's some small change to the service.

I just don't want to send my scanned passport, what to do now? :/

how much do you got with them?

Trading
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:18:55 PM

I also ceased trading at Gox and Bitstamp.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
ronaldlee0917

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:19:28 AM

How are they goxing?
USD withdrawals processed and arrived within 3 business days, can't even get it processed by MtGox after waiting for 3 months.
Bitcoins withdrawals processed almost instantly, can't even get MtGox broadcast it on blockchain after waiting for 5 hours.

Donation:    18zXsfnSvGjQFJ6pEiKMg2uWGcxUCfJLzu
Mastercoin - A new protocol layer built on top of Bitcoin
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 02:05:18 AM

I used bitstamp today without issue.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 07:57:45 AM

in our news section, on our Facebook page, on our g+ account, on reddit, on bitcointalk.org and on our twitter account

Great, I better watch Chase bank's twitter because apparently banks might announce some restrictions I'd need to know about on social networks and not to me directly that would freeze my account!

bitstamp ridiculous.

Totally agreed, this is a complete scam.  They have stolen our coins.

They know how to email all their customers.  They've emailed me several times, at least once a month for the last year.  But when announcing a policy change that has a chance of trapping peoples' coins on the equity side of their balance sheet, they want to "be social" and "share" instead of using the most direct and reliable communication mechanism.

Now they've basically stolen my money and won't give it back unless I send enough high-resolution documentation to steal my identity to some dude in Slovenia.

I've offered to let them wire the funds to my US-based bank, which has full AML documentation for me on file and who will confirm that I am the signatory for the account.

I want to stop using bitstamp and get my coins back.  They're refusing to close my account.  Scam scam scam.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:54:48 AM

Now they've basically stolen my money and won't give it back unless I send enough high-resolution documentation to steal my identity to some dude in Slovenia.

I've offered to let them wire the funds to my US-based bank, which has full AML documentation for me on file and who will confirm that I am the signatory for the account.

I want to stop using bitstamp and get my coins back.  They're refusing to close my account.  Scam scam scam.

I wonder what an identity packet sells for in Eastern Europe these days.  Especially one from someone who has a decent job and some money?

Thank god I didn't make the mistake of considering Bitstamp.  I did eventually capitulate and send some docs to Mt. Gox after years of holding out.  Not that it did me much good...no wire yet after several months of waiting.  My gut sense is that Mark would not stoop so low as to sell my identity information, and I hope he's got data security figured out a little bit better with several years of experience under his belt.  But even if both of these are true, he certainly employs people and it's always possible that one of them would decide to take personal compensation into their own hands.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
PrintMule

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:39:51 PM

How are they goxing?
USD withdrawals processed and arrived within 3 business days, can't even get it processed by MtGox after waiting for 3 months.
Bitcoins withdrawals processed almost instantly, can't even get MtGox broadcast it on blockchain after waiting for 5 hours.

What he said.

I got my recent withdrawal in 1-2 days. Giving my info was a pain in the ass, they bounced back my docs 2 times, but those were my mistakes.
Show me an anonymous way to convert to fiat without bank transfer commissions, as I do have the need to pay my bills time to time.

Btc-e does SEPA but for orders of 500eur minimal.

Localbitcoins suck so much donkeyballs that I won't even start.

I'm completely ok with Bitstamp from the very start and even after these changes.

EDIT:
And what would be the difference between this and sending your data yourself?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 03:49:38 PM

EDIT:
And what would be the difference between this and sending your data yourself?

Huh?  The bank would not send the documentation (to an unknown individual in Eastern Europe in this case.)  They would simply take on the role of verifier such that the exchange could be confident that they are sending funds to a positively identified individual.

This should be a perfectly satisfactory solution both for exchanges and for regulators if simply solving the KYC issue were desired.  For fiat movement in the e->c direction at least.  Regulators might be pushing on exchanges for harrassment reasons, or exchanges may simply not be terribly broken-hearted that they cannot send out funds and have to instead sit on them and/or obtain high quality docs which themselves could have significant value in certain kinds of exit events.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 04:05:43 PM

LOL @ the amount of FUD in this thread.
A sour LOL, though.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 04:43:13 PM

They should allow people to close their accounts and should send their bitcoins to an external address indicated by the customer. Keeping their customers bitcoins is stealling, pure and simple.

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 04:55:34 PM

They should allow people to close their accounts and should send their bitcoins to an external address indicated by the customer. Keeping their customers bitcoins is stealling, pure and simple.
Or, you could just get verified.
We're talking about a legal company trying to exchange your money without getting closed in the meantime, what were you really expecting?
Either you go full legal or full illegal, if you stay in-between you'll be crashed.

prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:26:55 PM

Huh?  The bank would not send the documentation (to an unknown individual in Eastern Europe in this case.)
Just for the record, slovenia is central europe (and is in fact a lot more west than other central europe countries), not eastern europe, since you've made that mistake at least twice now already.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:30:02 PM

Huh?  The bank would not send the documentation (to an unknown individual in Eastern Europe in this case.)
Just for the record, slovenia is central europe (and is in fact a lot more west than other central europe countries), not eastern europe, since you've made that mistake at least twice now already.

Apologies.

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:34:21 PM

Sure, but it was part of the soviet block, and it is pretty common to talk about the whole block as "eastern europe".

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 05:38:20 PM

How are they goxing?
Show me an anonymous way to convert to fiat without bank transfer commissions, as I do have the need to pay my bills time to time.
Bitcurex with BCC VISA card?  I have been using Bitcurex for years.  They never asked for any papers.  You can trade directly in EUR as well.  No currency conversion fee.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
PrintMule

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:44:17 PM

How are they goxing?
Bitcurex with BCC VISA card?  I have been using Bitcurex for years.  They never asked for any papers.  You can trade directly in EUR as well.  No currency conversion fee.

Never heard of it, will look into. Although if they are a growing exchange they may and in a same way as stamp and gox. It's a big european union country after all.

████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████