Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2018, 11:42:38 AM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Forks -How to Claim the most valueable ones with Coinomi(trusted wallet)  (Read 122 times)
bitmover

Activity: 238
Merit: 410

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:28:24 PM
Merited by stingers (2)

Hello,
Since August 1st with Bitcoin Cash fork, many BTC forks are going on, and some of them are pretty valuable, like BitcoinCash and Bitcoin Gold.
I am a bit paranoid, and I don't like to install wallets from these obscure forked coins in my computer, I am afraid these wallet may be infected with malicious software, virus, whatever.

Coinomi Android Wallet has a very good reputation in cryptocurrency community, and it supports most of these forks. In this guide I will show how easy is to claim them.

First, these are the supported forks:
   Name                  Fork Date         Price USD  (03/03/2018)
   Bitcoin Cash            Aug 1st, 2017         1200
   Bitcoin Gold            Oct 24th, 2017         110
   Bitcore                  Nov 2nd, 2017         18
   Bitcoin Atom         Jan 24th, 2018         17
   Bitcoin Private      Feb 28th, 2018         ?

If you held BTC in any of these dates, you have these coins in your bitcoin address. Not all of them are 1:1, Bitcore is 1:0.5 ratio (0.5 BTX for each BTC you own).

To claim them, follow these steps:

1 - Move all your Bitcoin (BTC) to another wallet, with a different seed phrase. (Most Important Step)

2 - Download Coinomi wallet:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coinomi.wallet

2 - In Coinomi, add these coins: Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcore, Bitcoin Atom and Bitcoin Private.

3 - In browser private mode or in a offline computer, go to this website (BIP39 Mnemonic Code):
   https://iancoleman.io/bip39/
   insert you recovery phrase (Remember to move all your bitcoin from this wallet first!! Step 1)
   In Coin textbox, choose Bitcoin.
   Still in BIP39 Mnemonic Code website, scroll down to Derived Address.

4 - Open your Coinomi Wallet and open each of your forked coins wallet. Click on QR Code Icon (top right corner) and scan each Private Address QR Code shown on bip39 website you just opened, until you have claimed them all.

5- Do this to every forked coin.

I have successfully claimed all these coins following the steps above.
There are many more Bitcoin Forks around (most are shown on btcdiv.com), but I haven't claimed them yet since they are not supported from any trusted third party wallet yet. If you know any, tell me please.

images from https://coinomi.freshdesk.com

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
TerezaMay

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

Hello, your text came out of the series.
Paranoia is everything, security is not enough.
Recently I tried to find a way to compose my own seed phrase to compose a private key of ETH, I could write my own algorithm, but it was not worth my time.
Instead, I downloaded an offline MEW and now don't worry about online registration.
cry4crypto

Activity: 140
Merit: 31

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 10:26:45 PM

Worth noting that this will not work with SegWit addresses since they are not supported by Coinomi.
bitmover

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 10:36:17 PM

Worth noting that this will not work with SegWit addresses since they are not supported by Coinomi.
You are wrong. This method works for Segwit P2SH addresses. It doesn't work for bech32, which are only supported by core and electrum. But you can't recover any forks using Bech32, as far as I now.

as a true hodler I moves my BTC out of my Legacy address just recently, to reclaim those forks. And moved them to a P2SH Segwit address.

I think my situation will be same as many here. It's not worth nothing.

angelitto74

Merit: 1

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:32:23 AM

You DONT need to send your BTC out to a different wallet. All you need is a new address inside your existing wallet. That address has a different privatekey, and that is enough for forks that dont employ replay protection (all the ones we support do).
bitmover

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 10:14:07 AM

You DONT need to send your BTC out to a different wallet. All you need is a new address inside your existing wallet. That address has a different privatekey, and that is enough for forks that dont employ replay protection (all the ones we support do).

be careful with your funds.

If you recover through this method using the Recovery Phrase (or seed phrase, whatever you call it) you expose all the private keys in that wallet.

If you use only the private address of each public address, you are right. This is not the case.

bitmover

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 06:10:08 PM

Now Coinomi supports segwit. THis method should work with any address.

angelitto74

Merit: 1

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 07:37:37 AM

Now Coinomi supports segwit. THis method should work with any address.

Semi-necroing, so I apologise beforehand.

"Supports SegWit" might be an understatement nowdays.

Coinomi supports Native, Compartibility and Legacy modes for:

Bitcoin
Bitcoin Atom
Bitcoin Gold
Bitcore
Digibyte
FujiCoin
Groestlcoin
Litecoin
Vertcoin
Viacoin

Note that not all of those coins have segwit paths in the upstream tool (https://iancoleman.io/bip39/ ) while some of them have their own tool, since they either haven't PR'd their code to Ians or they use a different curve that Ian's tool does not yet support:

Smartcash -- https://github.com/iancoleman/bip39/issues/191
Groestl -- https://groestlcoin.org/bip39-standalone.html
Decred -- We're still waiting for correspondence from their team on the subject.

Note that you don't need to "download an offline mew" just download the upstream tool offline to play around with seeds.

Angelos from Coinomi

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.