Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:08:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI seizes Silk Road. BTC backbone broken.  (Read 6116 times)
daserpent1 (OP)

Activity: 435
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:49:30 PM

If you didn't know already. This will help you understand why BTC price is gonna crash for days now. Where do you think BTC will settle at now?

"Federal agents have shut down the underground Silk Road, a website used by dealers to buy and sell illegal drugs using virtual currency, and arrested a Texas man who they say operated the site.

FBI agents arrested Ross Ulbricht, allegedly known as "Dread Pirate Roberts" and "DPR," Tuesday in San Francisco. Ulbricht appeared in court briefly Wednesday morning, said Julie Bolcer, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney in New York.

Ulbricht is charged in New York with narcotics trafficking, computer hacking, soliciting a murder-for-hire and money laundering, according to a complaint unsealed Wednesday. Court documents allege that Ulbricht owned and operated since January 2011 an underground website known as "Silk Road" that gave drug dealers around the world a platform to sell heroin, cocaine, LSD and methamphetamine.

Ulbricht allegedly asked a Silk Road user on March 29 to murder another user who was threatening to release the names of thousands of Silk Road users, court papers say.

"Ulbricht has been willing to pursue violent means to maintain his control of the website and the illegal proceeds it generates for him," court papers say.

Users of the site on Wednesday saw a banner announcement with the logos of the Justice Department, FBI, IRS, Homeland Security and Drug Enforcement Administration and a message: "This hidden site has been seized."

FBI Agent Christopher Tarbell in an affidavit called the Silk Road website a "sprawling black-market bazaar where illegal drugs and other illicit goods and services" are regularly bought and sold. In In 30 months, the FBI estimates the site generated $1.2 billion in sales and $80 million in commissions for the operator.

The website operated on an underground computer network known as "The Onion Router" or "Tor," a special network of computers around the world that use complicated algorithms to disguise the unique internet addresses of each computer. Communications set through computers on the network bounce through a series of encrypted relays to make it extraordinarily difficult to trace the origin of the message.

Website users conducted transactions using an anonymous form of digital currency called "Bitcoins."

"Silk Road has emerged as the most sophisticated and extensive criminal marketplace on the Internet today," Tarbell wrote. "The site has sought to make conducting illegal transactions on the Internet as easy and frictionless as shopping online at mainstream e-commerce websites."

Federal agents say Ulbricht, under the alias Dread Pirate Roberts, a reference to a character in "The Princess Bride," controlled every aspect of the site, including the programming, maintenance, customer service and the massive profits.

FBI and other federal agents first tapped into the site in November 2011 and have made more than 100 undercover purchases of controlled substances, including ecstasy, cocaine, heroin and LSD, on the network. The drugs came from vendors located in the United States and at least 10 other countries, court papers say. Agents also purchased hacking services, including malicious software such as password stealing programs, the court papers say.

The site included listings for "illegal drugs of nearly every variety," Tarbell said in court papers. As of Sept. 23, FBI agents counted nearly 13,000 listings for items such as marijuana, ecstasy, opioids, prescription drugs, heroin and cocaine. One seller advertised "high quality #4 heroin all rock," court papers say.

FBI agents also found 159 listings for computer hacking and other services, such as hit men for hire and stolen credit card information.

Federal investigators also gained access to the site's servers to conduct forensic analysis that could trace buyers, sellers and the operator, court papers said"

Source - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/02/fbi-shuts-down-silk-road-website/2909023/
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/10/02/228491496/fbi-arrests-owner-of-black-market-site-silk-road
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24373759
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
10c

Activity: 658
Merit: 100

BuyAnyLight - Blockchain LED Marketplace

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:20:51 PM

Well a few months back I had a discussion about this with several people claiming SR was not the backbone of BTC and does only account for a very small % of the BTC sales.
So I guess we're still going 'to da moon' without any interuptions.....
 Roll Eyes

I expect sub 100 within days

driksson

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:30:03 PM

it touched 80..
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:34:47 PM

For what it's worth. I don't think of this as a bitcoin thing at all. Basically, a drug dealer got busted. So what? Bitcoin is in no way "broken". 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:37:57 PM

When I first saw the headlines , I thought this was going to be a big deal. Bitcoin dies have lots of issues, but I don't think this is one if them; maybe a year or two ago when sr was alledgedly a much bigger percentage of bitcoins transactions, but it made it over that hurdle. And the amount of BTC seized is minuscule, will make no difference what government chooses to do with it

Bigger concern was an issue with Tor, which has gained a lot of new users post snowden... They did manage to track down a few of his servers, and scraped a LOT of info there...  

So, bitcoin, fine. The tor network? Very interested in what the experts have to say about this.  

Update: just seeing btcs movements today; again, I think it has a LOT of issues , but this isn't one if them. So the markets behaving like stocks do at times; a rush to the door while assessing damages... Yes, SR was a big player, but fortunately for BTC, lots of other avenues for its use have opened up in the last year+

My opinion. Unsolicited.
c0ldfusi0nz

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:38:05 PM

Does anyone have a link to the "Bitcoin ecosystem analysis" that was posted in the past month or two that basically showed the flow of coins amongst many of the known larger players? It did a pretty good job convincing me that Silk Road is only a fraction of the overall Bitcoin economy.
pinnpe

Activity: 158

DumBlinDeaf

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:47:44 PM

The Bitcoin community is Bitcoins Backbone, we've seen tougher time... Like when there was no Bitcoins
 Grin
If you want to talk about the price going down look at this:
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=EUR&view=10Y
The prices always go up and down
Taxidermista
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:48:37 PM

Silkroad was operated from USA by USA citizens?? This is a joke, right? Nobody can be so fucking stupid.

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:59:28 PM

Ya I was surprised by that as well. If dude had at least, at minimum , a few million bucks in profit, you think the last place he would want to live (& safely) would be the U.S.

Maybe he just flew how for a visit or something. If we was living in S.F than ya, he's an idiot.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 08:19:00 PM

Its not the end of the world. I can see the price going down a bit further in the  short term back to about $100, but anything below that is just a flash crash. Right now, its looking like the whole deal was a flash crash, and maybe a grand total of $20 got knocked off the BTC price. This isn't April, in a couple of months nobody will care.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 08:39:38 PM

What do we think is going to happen to the price in the coming weeks?

Is it the time to invest or cash out for a bit? Or should we wait it out?  Undecided
aceking

Activity: 229

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:22:28 PM

"BTC backbone broken" so lol . We are the backbone of bitcoin and not the silkroad criminals
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:27:31 PM

When I first saw the headlines , I thought this was going to be a big deal. Bitcoin dies have lots of issues, but I don't think this is one if them; maybe a year or two ago when sr was alledgedly a much bigger percentage of bitcoins transactions, but it made it over that hurdle. And the amount of BTC seized is minuscule, will make no difference what government chooses to do with it

Bigger concern was an issue with Tor, which has gained a lot of new users post snowden... They did manage to track down a few of his servers, and scraped a LOT of info there...  

So, bitcoin, fine. The tor network? Very interested in what the experts have to say about this.  

Update: just seeing btcs movements today; again, I think it has a LOT of issues , but this isn't one if them. So the markets behaving like stocks do at times; a rush to the door while assessing damages... Yes, SR was a big player, but fortunately for BTC, lots of other avenues for its use have opened up in the last year+

My opinion. Unsolicited.

They didn't break TOR, he posted on stack exchange asking for help with TOR specific code using his real name.  Once they starting looking at him, it was easy to tie him to SR and then find the servers.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Dreamweaver

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Trying to find my way.

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:32:17 PM

As much as this is more of an individual "getting busted" kind of thing, I can't help but feel this is going to be just another piece of FUD opponents of bitcoin will use to say that bitcoin facilitates all kinds of illicit activity.

"SEE! WHAT DID I TELL YOU?! BITCOIN IS BAAAAADD!!!" I hear them cry.
"BITCOIN IS FOR CRIMINALS!! HISSsssSSssSS" I hear them cry some more.

BTC: 15hfE8dXf13Z1n5WQnpoF24Zr7G8Fv1Ghk
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:43:23 PM

As much as this is more of an individual "getting busted" kind of thing, I can't help but feel this is going to be just another piece of FUD opponents of bitcoin will use to say that bitcoin facilitates all kinds of illicit activity.

"SEE! WHAT DID I TELL YOU?! BITCOIN IS BAAAAADD!!!" I hear them cry.
"BITCOIN IS FOR CRIMINALS!! HISSsssSSssSS" I hear them cry some more.

And then you say "Only 0.001% of drug busts involve bitcoin.  The other 99.999% involve the US dollar."  And then they shut up.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Thyatis

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 09:47:28 PM

Best thing that could have happened to BTC is the SR going down.  It helped BTC get up and going , however now we need to be rid of the bad.

SR2 will be happening within a week.

My Reputation information   | [/color]
Contact Information -  Google Talk & Email - thyatis@thyatis.com |
10c

Activity: 658

BuyAnyLight - Blockchain LED Marketplace

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:50:45 PM

I'm pretty curious as to how big the impact on price is.
I don't think for a minute this will kill bitcoin if anything I see a positive in the longrun.
However what I'm curious about is how many of the sales cycle are SR related.
in other words how much of all the exchane sales are buy BTC's by junkies and how many of the sales are dealer cashouts.
And how many of the legit businesses turn out to be not so legit (laundering)

kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 10:09:46 PM

FBI Agent Christopher Tarbell in an affidavit called the Silk Road website a "sprawling black-market bazaar where illegal drugs and other illicit goods and services" are regularly bought and sold. In In 30 months, the FBI estimates the site generated $1.2 billion in sales and $80 million in commissions for the operator.

80 million for DPR, 80 million for Walter White.  I wonder if DPR buried a thumbdrive somewhere in New Mexico...

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 10:48:37 PM

80 million for DPR, 80 million for Walter White.  I wonder if DPR buried a thumbdrive somewhere in New Mexico...

with 2 dead bodies ?

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 11:03:10 PM

BTC is fine, this is just typical panic selling. Value will increase steadily over the coming days, mark my words.

http://cryptolife.net/silk-road-takedown-bitcoin-great-buy-right-now/

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: