Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:45:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No More Silk Road.  (Read 2044 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:07:25 PM

The End.
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:08:12 PM

Great post.   Roll Eyes
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:21:40 PM

Great post.   Roll Eyes

Seriously. If that was a movie that would be its catchy slogan: "The End"
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:29:09 PM

FBI seizes underground drug market Silk Road, owner indicted in New York

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/4794780/fbi-seizes-underground-drug-market-silk-road-owner-indicted-in-new

"The site was doing more than $1.2 billion in business, according to a criminal complaint"
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 10:01:59 PM

Now, onto how he got caught…

An agent involved in the investigation (“Agent-1″), found the first few references to SR on the internet from somebody only identified as “altoid”, attempting to promote the site in its beginning days, in January of 2011.
    In October of the same year, a user also going by the name of “altoid” made a posting on Bitcoin Talk titled “a venture backed Bitcoin startup company”, which directed interested users to “rossulbricht at gmail dot com”.
    That email address is what led to DPR’s downfall.
    —
    After identifying “altoid”, they started connecting the “DPR” identity to Ulbricht pretty quickly.
    Ulbricht’s Google+ page and YouTube profile both make multiple references to the a website dubbed the “Mises Institute”. DPR’s signature on the SR forums contained a link to the Mises Institute.
    DPR cited the “Austrian Economic theory” along with the works of Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, all of which are closesly associated with the Mises Institute.
    Server logs show that someone logged onto the SR administration panel from San Fransisco around the same time that Ulbricht was staying in San Fransisco.
    Multiple fake IDs were intercepted by U.S. Customs & Border Patrol while on their way to an address which Ulbricht was living at the time. These IDs all carried photos of Ulbricht but had false names and details. This was around the same time that DPR stated in a message that he was acquiring some fake IDs to buy new servers.
    When questioned by Homeland Security about the fake IDs, he refused to answer any questions but then stated that anyone could purchase such things using “Silk Road” and “Tor”.
    The address which Ulbricht was staying at was being rented in cash and he was living with housemates who knew him under a name which corresponded with one of the fake IDs.
    He posted on StackOverflow using his real name, inquiring about how to use curl/PHP to grab things off Tor, before quickly changing the name to “frosty” (with a fake email: frosty@frosty.com)
The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:47:22 PM

Now, onto how he got caught…

An agent involved in the investigation (“Agent-1″), found the first few references to SR on the internet from somebody only identified as “altoid”, attempting to promote the site in its beginning days, in January of 2011.
    In October of the same year, a user also going by the name of “altoid” made a posting on Bitcoin Talk titled “a venture backed Bitcoin startup company”, which directed interested users to “rossulbricht at gmail dot com”.
    That email address is what led to DPR’s downfall.
    —
    After identifying “altoid”, they started connecting the “DPR” identity to Ulbricht pretty quickly.
    Ulbricht’s Google+ page and YouTube profile both make multiple references to the a website dubbed the “Mises Institute”. DPR’s signature on the SR forums contained a link to the Mises Institute.
    DPR cited the “Austrian Economic theory” along with the works of Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, all of which are closesly associated with the Mises Institute.
    Server logs show that someone logged onto the SR administration panel from San Fransisco around the same time that Ulbricht was staying in San Fransisco.
    Multiple fake IDs were intercepted by U.S. Customs & Border Patrol while on their way to an address which Ulbricht was living at the time. These IDs all carried photos of Ulbricht but had false names and details. This was around the same time that DPR stated in a message that he was acquiring some fake IDs to buy new servers.
    When questioned by Homeland Security about the fake IDs, he refused to answer any questions but then stated that anyone could purchase such things using “Silk Road” and “Tor”.
    The address which Ulbricht was staying at was being rented in cash and he was living with housemates who knew him under a name which corresponded with one of the fake IDs.
    He posted on StackOverflow using his real name, inquiring about how to use curl/PHP to grab things off Tor, before quickly changing the name to “frosty” (with a fake email: frosty@frosty.com)

Interesting.

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄
    ▄▀ █  ▄▄▀▀ █  █ ▀▄▄
  ▄▀  ██▀█ ▄▀▀▄ █ █  █▀▄
██   █ █▐▌█ ██ █ ██ █   ██
  ▀▄█  █ █ ▀▄▄▀▄▄███  ▄▀
   ▀▀▄ █▄▄█▄█▀▀   █ ▄▀
      ▀▄▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀▀██▀
        ▀▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▀
          ▀▄  ▄▀▀
            ██
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀▀
███
███
███
 ███▄         ▄▄
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███
█████████████

█████████████

█████████████
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██████████████▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀███
███             ███
███             ███
███             ███
 ███▄         ▄███
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███

▄▄
████
 ▀▀
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
.▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.
FACEBOOK       REDDIT       TELEGRAM
BITCOINTALK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:00:47 AM

still blows my mind it was a 29 yr old punk living in san francisco (admittedly, a great city) with roomates, getting online at the cafe' or library. if the bitflow was as high as estimated he should have had:

1) a defense plan with prepaid legal package
2) an escape plan to blow town
3) a huge stash of cash and bitcoin, you know, retirement & shakedown money

if it was me, I'd be living in Amsterdam, Munich, Venice, Prague, somewhere a bit more sophisticated.

that whole blackmail and hit business, that was entrapment.

Mice lie and monkeys exaggerate. I learned it on TWiV.

NEVER GOT PAID.
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 07:57:58 AM

It looks that the film is not over yet.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/silk-road-dealers-are-getting-arrested-all-around-the-world

Drug dealers related to SR arrested arround the world

For rent
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:34:02 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 05:13:44 PM by compro01

In other news, Cotton Road, Linen Road, Wool Road, Nylon Road, Polyester Road, Rayon Road, and Gore-Tex™ Road have sprung up to fill the gap.

Grab your mallet.  It's whack-a-mole time.
MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:38:27 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/silk-road-dealers-are-getting-arrested-all-around-the-world

i created a news thread on this and people were posting to it , until a moderator removed my thread , i think there's some censorship happening here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:12:04 PM

any word yet on whether these dealers were caught due to compromised data or anything related to the seized servers? i'm guessing just individuals not being careful / not covering their tracks.... scary if someone law enforcement got some back door deal here.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 10:21:47 PM

Great post.   Roll Eyes

haha, it would be hilarious if they made a movie of this.  Not much action, though.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:24:43 AM

still blows my mind it was a 29 yr old punk living in san francisco (admittedly, a great city) with roomates, getting online at the cafe' or library. if the bitflow was as high as estimated he should have had:

1) a defense plan with prepaid legal package
2) an escape plan to blow town
3) a huge stash of cash and bitcoin, you know, retirement & shakedown money

if it was me, I'd be living in Amsterdam, Munich, Venice, Prague, somewhere a bit more sophisticated.

that whole blackmail and hit business, that was entrapment.

Mice lie and monkeys exaggerate. I learned it on TWiV.

Right!  For the record, not that I have ever had any connection with drugs or even visited the Silk Road (just clarifying here) but I never would have thought that this guy was living in the US.  Seriously?  Seems crazy.  I would think that someone involved in that level of drug trafficking (even as a third party seller) would want to live somewhere that he could pay off a cop or two?  Maybe I have just watched to many movies.

That said, It might have been even funnier if he was living at home in his parents basement.  I can imagine his mom saying, "Son.  There are some men in suits here to see you.  I wonder what they want?"  I do feel a bit sorry for his mom and dad though.  Not really cool. 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
crazynoggin

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:04:33 AM

Waste of our money going after the Silkroad and the dealers. There are always going to be people who want drugs and they will always find a way to get them. There are people starving and without homes out there and all of our governments want to waste the money imprisoning many harmless people and fighting an endless war instead of helping people who actually need the money.

I really hope the US and all other governments that are arresting people over this fail miserably when they take them to the courtroom. The only thing that should come of this bust should be charging DPR with calling a hit on someone and nothing more.

Use my referral link if you want: https://primedice.com/?ref=Crazynoggin
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 07:59:30 PM

A little correction for whoever who's gonna be in charge of that epic Silk Road movie. the tagline should be: "The End?" Wink

The Silk Road movie will be a 1000th time better I hope than that wikileak flix.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 03:53:01 PM

I could definitely throw some interesting stuff in the plot line based on my experiences.  Hit me up when it goes to hollywood.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 08:02:59 PM

I could definitely throw some interesting stuff in the plot line based on my experiences.  Hit me up when it goes to hollywood.

You also scam on silk road?

For rent
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:48:34 AM

You also scam on silk road?

Hey but hold on! Why wait for Scumzywood to do this movie? If anything the story belongs to the bitcointalk.org community. It was born here. Let's do it totally open for all to see. We could pay the talents in bitcoin. have a massive kickstarter-like campaign but only with the bitcointalk community (and not even a need to use kickstarter)

I am not into drugs. Some are. I am NOT sad Silk Road is gone. Some of us ARE. It does not matter. This story belongs to the bitcointalk community and no matter how it ends we should be the ones funding it and pay the talents with our bitcoins, not matter how small the contribution will be. NOT HOLLYWOOD

This is Post HOLLYWOOD. Please! Make it happen before they turn this amazing story into another joke movie then telling us the name "bitcointalk.org" belongs to MGM/Colombia/FOX/Sony when used on entertainment medium forever...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:51:30 AM

Great post.   Roll Eyes

haha, it would be hilarious if they made a movie of this.  Not much action, though.

They made a movie about stupid facebook. Won an Oscar for best soundtrack. No ideas are stupid ideas. The first step is always the hardest.

http://youtu.be/82eVbzdtUGk
The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:18:48 PM

Silk road 2.0:

Thoughts?

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄