Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:37:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KnCMiner Jupiter Miner First Impressions  (Read 65951 times)
il_minatore

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:22:57 PM

Had you bridge the pins of 24pin ATX of psu? (Specified in page 1 of the manual)

thanks
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:35:07 PM

Had you bridge the pins of 24pin ATX of psu? (Specified in page 1 of the manual)

thanks

I did it. It works.
Search for "paper clip trick" on google you'll get plenty of resources.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:28:31 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2013, 06:48:51 PM by Sitarow

Yes due to the lack of air movement the case under the unit and in the back of the unit near the rear vents does get warm to the touch. Considering its aluminum thats not something to overlook. And like I had mentioned this unit is located in a room with an average ambient temp between 60 and 65 degrees fahrenheit.

I would also add that as I have posted on the first page, the simple steps taken has helped with performance.

Can you point to the source of where replacing fans will void warranty? Especially if those new fans are powered from an external power source?
If the unit fails because you modified the cooling system, then it's pretty obvious who is at fault!

How about you contact the manufacturer and tell them you are concerned about the cooling and ask them for the warranty details at the same time.

Well that is the risk you take on a personal level. However given my level of technical experience and background with other ASIC hardware.

KnCMiner would know better then dispute any warranty claims made by me. Adding adequate cooling over and above what was given from the factory would not be the cause of overheating components.

Especially if like me you have access to tools that make it crystal clear of potential issues with thermal airflow and heat.

Edit: I wanted to include the instructions from KnCMiner on how to troubleshoot your unit for potential defective module.

To verify if an ASIC board is broken or the performance drop is due to software issues please follow these steps:

1. Turn off and disconnect your PSU.
2. Open your miner case.
3. Unplug the flat ribben cable connecting one of the ASIC Boards (the circuit board that has the big fan on it) to the controller board.
4. Unplug the PCI-Express power cable from the ASIC board.
5. Ensure all other cables are connected properly.
6. Reconnect the PSU and power on the miner. Let the miner work for an hour to asses performance. 
If the miner is now performing as expected you should install the 0.9.4 firmware.
7. Turn off the power and disconnect the PSU, reconnect all the PCI-E and ribben cables.
8. Restart the miner and install firmware 0.9.4.

source https://www.kncminer.com/pages/support
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:35:25 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2013, 07:23:15 PM by Sitarow

@Sitarow any news, did you replace the front fans with the avalon type you mentioned before?

Since I had upgraded to v0.93 from v0.92 Yesterday, I have chosen to do a baseline on performance prior to swapping out the fans and putting the case cover back on.

Once 0.94 is released I will be swapping out the fans as I am sure it will be a far more solid build.

I hope to be receiving my last shipment of hardware some time this week. So in order for me to be ready I need these issues all ironed out with a solid solution going forward.

The cooling with just a single fan pointing downwards with the case open has proven that performance does increase over the default factory cooling methods.

Resulst from Firmware 0.9.3

Power Supply for next units.
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:42:45 PM

does anyone know the dimension of the asic chip?
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 08:26:42 PM

55mm square I think off the top of my head.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 08:49:29 PM

Well that is the risk you take on a personal level. However given my level of technical experience and background with other ASIC hardware.

KnCMiner would know better then dispute any warranty claims made by me. Adding adequate cooling over and above what was given from the factory would not be the cause of overheating components.

Especially if like me you have access to tools that make it crystal clear of potential issues with thermal airflow and heat.

Edit: I wanted to include the instructions from KnCMiner on how to troubleshoot your unit for potential defective module.

To verify if an ASIC board is broken or the performance drop is due to software issues please follow these steps:

1. Turn off and disconnect your PSU.
2. Open your miner case.
3. Unplug the flat ribben cable connecting one of the ASIC Boards (the circuit board that has the big fan on it) to the controller board.
4. Unplug the PCI-Express power cable from the ASIC board.
5. Ensure all other cables are connected properly.
6. Reconnect the PSU and power on the miner. Let the miner work for an hour to asses performance.  
If the miner is now performing as expected you should install the 0.9.4 firmware.
7. Turn off the power and disconnect the PSU, reconnect all the PCI-E and ribben cables.
8. Restart the miner and install firmware 0.9.4.

source https://www.kncminer.com/pages/support

thanks for pointing out this section of kncminer.com I wasn't aware of. Sure those guys have to improve their communication skills Tongue

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 08:57:45 PM

@Sitarow any news, did you replace the front fans with the avalon type you mentioned before?

Since I had upgraded to v0.93 from v0.92 Yesterday, I have chosen to do a baseline on performance prior to swapping out the fans and putting the case cover back on.

Once 0.94 is released I will be swapping out the fans as I am sure it will be a far more solid build.

fair

I hope to be receiving my last shipment of hardware some time this week. So in order for me to be ready I need these issues all ironed out with a solid solution going forward.

The cooling with just a single fan pointing downwards with the case open has proven that performance does increase over the default factory cooling methods.

you're talking about this configuration, right?:

https://i.imgur.com/IY6l0UU.png

https://i.imgur.com/w4KFt2a.jpg (Corsair ax860i)

I seem to rembember that DeadTerra on irc today was saying something about problem he had with this PSU and that he was heading to KnC office with a faulty one to make them evaluate it.

Humax

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

The law of the universe!

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:01:19 PM

Hmmm......first impression is unfortunately very bad.
It doesn't hash at all!

Oh wait......they never made their September delivery......so it is a bit hard to hash with air......

Anyway, reading about the experiences of people who did got their unit(s).... I'm not too optimistic.
How many units can hash above 500GH? How many did BBQ (burn down)? How many units did get delivered without loose fans? etc.

The truth is, the only ASIC hardware worthwhile were the batch #1 Avalons.........

Help me feed my hamster! Donate sunflower seeds!
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:03:06 AM

fair

you're talking about this configuration, right?:

https://i.imgur.com/IY6l0UU.png

https://i.imgur.com/w4KFt2a.jpg (Corsair ax860i)

I seem to rembember that DeadTerra on irc today was saying something about problem he had with this PSU and that he was heading to KnC office with a faulty one to make them evaluate it.

Yes that is the correct setup I can make it more elaborate but something simple that anyone can use is what I try to go for.

Here is the results after 5+ hr operation with no cgminer restarts. It presently is running on firmware v0.9.3. It seems both v0.9.2 and v0.9.3 give the same performance results with these simple steps.

Note: That the Bitfury 400GH/s unit was down to make room for the next KnCMiner shipment. Once it gets here.

jelin1984
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:05:08 AM

Here is the results after 5+ hr operation with no cgminer restarts. It presently is running on firmware v0.9.3. It seems both v0.9.2 and v0.9.3 give the same performance results with these simple steps.

Which is these small steps?
jelin1984
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:06:16 AM

Also how I connect cgminer with my Jupiter?
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:08:34 AM

Which is these small steps?

This photo. I had mentioned on page 1 that my ambient room temps and included the results before and after.

A few people have had similar success only noticeable after running for a few hours.

Others report the unit slowing down or needing to constantly restart cgminer.

Those that have a higher ambient room temp make note of an error that slows the hashing down once the fpga does not submit work.
Maybe the fpga needs a heatsink? I am not looking at adding heatsinks just yet.

However I do make note that BFL does include heatsinks on their small components and also have vertical and horizontal air blown on the units.

Also how I connect cgminer with my Jupiter?

Enable ssh in the webinterface.

Then use putty program to ssh into the unit via its ip address.

You will be prompted with a username request.
Use the following
user = root
password = admin
jelin1984
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:21:04 AM

Ok thanks

Which  is putty programm?
And which is the fPGA board?
You mean the control board?
th3joker

Activity: 319

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:29:13 AM

Ok thanks

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=putty
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:29:24 AM

Ok thanks

Yes the control board is where you can find the FPGA Smiley

PuTTY Download page putty.org
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:29:56 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 01:05:57 AM by Sitarow

Ok thanks

nice! I am glad others have stepped up to the plate Smiley

I have opted not to use the Avalon type fans for the first part of the test. I went with a fan type that is more readably available for those that wish to shop at your local store.
Fan on the right is 140mm rated at 175 cfm at 2000 rpm. The fan on the left is the avalon 120mm one at 4000 rpm.

Silverstone http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=366

Close ups of the 2000 RMP Fan Connector. I will be using the adapter to put it directly to the power supply rather then use the power feed from the Jupiters boards.

1st photo Silverstone 140mm / 2nd photo Silverstone 140mm / 3rd photo avalon type fan 120mm
th3joker

Activity: 319

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:30:49 AM

Ok thanks

nice!

Great minds and all that :-)
jelin1984
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:31:45 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 12:42:02 AM by jelin1984

Ok so maybe if we put another fan at front like the black you have put will be good

Also maybe at later step
Is better to replace the paste
With 17w. Thermal pad 0.5mm
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:46:29 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 02:15:35 AM by Sitarow

Ok so maybe if we put another fan at front like the black you have put will be good

I was going for an airflow with the following result.

Or this with a personal touch.

This is a good video to watch from silverstone about air movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8m8fC809TK0#t=46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAjEazxCik

And 3rd party review on the Silverstone FHP-141
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtlO7f9IHNg

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/140mm-silverstone-sst-fhp141-140x140x38mm-fhp-series-black-case-fan
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: