Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:16:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Professional rig 2000 - I've the same setup but can't keep it cool  (Read 3128 times)
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:04:47 PM

Hi,
I have a HAF X case with 3x6990's and adapter 0 & 1 rise exponentially to the point that the machine has to throttle and that's with them downclocked to 600Mhz already and the room is 18 celcius.

I asked this company how they keep their machines cool. http://www.bitcoinrigs.com/products/Professional-Rig-2000.html

They say the case provides adequate cooling for all cards and that the spacing is key. I have the spacing down.
I asked them about my case and that I couldn't keep it cool. They said they have the BIOS switched from default to keep them from overheating.

Is this possible - I thought switching the BIOS increased the watts?

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Reckman

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:06:19 PM

Thats bs, you cant cool 3x 6990s in a conventional case.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:44:22 PM

- drill holes on the side panel and install 4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
I have these spaced out so that all cards are covered.

Next thing is to install plenty of fans to suck out the heat through the front of the case.  You probably have a spot for a fan towards the bottom front of the case.
I ended up putting 2 fans in series to expell hot air.

You also need to make sure you are able to remove all of the air that is being blown in, so do some quick math too.

my heat problem is solved, cases are closed.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:52:17 PM

Take the sides off
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:07:42 PM

What a rip off. Their case with no cards is $1099?! My 4-card rigs cost $394 before cards and that's case/cpu/mb/ram/disk/fans/psu.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:10:14 PM

as Reckman said...

I also said half a year ago (or so) that those setups are good only on pictures and maybe in refrigerated rooms.

Throwing side panel and pointing a box fan to the cards might do the trick too. But than again only in well ventilated room and only with very few of those boxes per room.

-
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:11:39 PM

as Reckman said...

I also said half a year ago (or so) that those setups are good only on pictures and maybe in refrigerated rooms.

"I wanna be a bitcoin billionaire sooo freaking bad"

I hope you become one!!
mackminer (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:43:32 PM

- drill holes on the side panel and install 4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
I have these spaced out so that all cards are covered.

Next thing is to install plenty of fans to suck out the heat through the front of the case.  You probably have a spot for a fan towards the bottom front of the case.
I ended up putting 2 fans in series to expell hot air.

You also need to make sure you are able to remove all of the air that is being blown in, so do some quick math too.

my heat problem is solved, cases are closed.

Hi,
Thanks for your post. I think I'm am going to go the same direction. Can you post a photo to where you placed your fans? - I was looking at them and was thinking I would maybe need six but if you have managed with four that's great.

Thanks a mill.

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:06:50 PM

This.
Everything else is rubbish.

Consider that the 6990's *alone* will generate about 1500 watts of heat output. That's on top of the heat coming off your power supply, processor, HDD, RAM, , motherboard, northbridge/southbridge etc.

Maybe a massive Silverstone Raven I/II case with tons of extra fans & upwards rotated motherboard tray can cool 3 of them (enough not to bluescreen all the time), but even then you'll run into heat issues. Not even the biggest Lian Li fulltower cases can adequately cool 3 6990's

Your options are pretty much running an open case or wind tunnel, or watercooling.

Think of it this way: Could any case out there sufficiently cool 6 separate 6970's overclocked? That's what 3 6990's are. It's mission impossible without improvisation, living in Antarctica, Finland or the North Pole, or removing side panels.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
mackminer (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:41:03 PM

This.

Consider that the 6990's *alone* will generate about 1500 watts of heat output. That's on top of the heat coming off your power supply, processor, HDD, RAM, , motherboard, northbridge/southbridge etc.

Maybe a massive Silverstone Raven I/II case with tons of extra fans & upwards rotated motherboard tray can cool 3 of them (enough not to bluescreen all the time), but even then you'll run into heat issues. Not even the biggest Lian Li fulltower cases can adequately cool 3 6990's

Your options are pretty much running an open case or wind tunnel, or watercooling.

Think of it this way: Could any case out there sufficiently cool 6 separate 6970's overclocked? That's what 3 6990's are. It's mission impossible without improvisation, living in Antarctica, Finland or the North Pole, or removing side panels.

Christ you sound very sure of yourself but others seem to say otherwise. One guy has mentioned four box fans on the side case. I was thinking of mounting these after cutting holes with a hole saw in the side of the case. Then sufficient pull from the fans on the top should pull it out. The only thing I'm concerned about is blowing air onto the cards at too high a pressure as others seem to say this isn't a great idea.

Detritus

Activity: 295
Merit: 98

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:53:12 PM

Certainly I'm biased, but...

Trying to run more than a couple of ANY type of cards in an enclosed case  is trouble at best. 6990's being the double powered beasts that they are going to be even worse.

Taking the sides off and running large fans pointed inside is the only option really, but at that point are you really running an exclosed case anymore?
You'd be better off with an open frame rig.

The warmest card in my open frame rig is running at 78C, and the only reasons that card is that hot is because it's a 6970 and I don't feel like cranking the fans up to %80 or higher. to damn loud. They just run hot no matter what you do.

The 12  5870's in my rig are all in the mid 60's C. It's all air flow.

I have 15 cards running in a 32" x 20" by 20" space, and the only reason the card density can be that high is because the hot air is dumped outside and all the cards have enough spacing to get fresh/cool intake air.

That just wont happen in an enclosed case.

Sounds to me like the place you bought your rig from are just slapping the bitcoin name on a HAF X case without really doing any kind of research or testing to make a buck.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:56:02 PM

This.

Christ you sound very sure of yourself but others seem to say otherwise. One guy has mentioned four box fans on the side case. I was thinking of mounting these after cutting holes with a hole saw in the side of the case. Then sufficient pull from the fans on the top should pull it out. The only thing I'm concerned about is blowing air onto the cards at too high a pressure as others seem to say this isn't a great idea.

We're not trying to remove all 1500 watts (is it even 1500 watts?) of heat. this isn't a race to 0.  All that needs to be done is to achieve enough airflow to remove enough hot air to reach a temp range that is "OK" it's also critical to improvise an outflow solution from the back of the cards.  I do this by removing hot air on the bottom of the case and out.  if your case has no fan on bottom front, you will have to improvise.  this is more critical than removing air from top.  lots of hot air in the back of the cards will raise the ambient temp inside the case.  it must be "re/moved"
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:57:15 PM

Trying to run more than a couple of ANY type of cards in an enclosed case  is trouble at best. 6990's being the double powered beasts that they are going to be even worse.

Taking the sides off and running large fans pointed inside is the only option really, but at that point are you really running an exclosed case anymore?

The warmest card in my open frame rig is running at 78C, and the only reasons that card is that hot is because it's a 6970 and I don't feel like cranking the fans up to %80 or higher. to damn loud. They just run hot no matter what you do.

I have 15 cards running in a 32" x 20" by 20" space, and the only reason the card density can be that high is because the hot air is dumped outside and all the cards have enough spacing to get fresh/cool intake air.

Sounds to me like the place you bought your rig from are just slapping the bitcoin name on a HAF X case without really doing any kind of research or testing to make a buck.

There's no question that an open case solution is best.  We're simply discussing options for a closed case.
shotgun

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:13:39 PM

There's no question that an open case solution is best.  We're simply discussing options for a closed case.

Two delta 240cfm 120mm case fans will move enough air to cool down those cards in an enclosed case. They are super loud though, so that's the trade off.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3410

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:03:39 PM

We're not trying to remove all 1500 watts (is it even 1500 watts?) of heat.

You are. If you don't, heat will go up.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:19:38 PM

We're not trying to remove all 1500 watts (is it even 1500 watts?) of heat.

You are. If you don't, heat will go up.
All that needs to be done is to achieve enough airflow to remove enough hot air to reach a temp range that is "OK"
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:46:56 PM

I was thinking of mounting these after cutting holes with a hole saw in the side of the case. Then sufficient pull from the fans on the top should pull it out. The only thing I'm concerned about is blowing air onto the cards at too high a pressure as others seem to say this isn't a great idea.

Then it's just another modded case (which is good), the point being that standard enclosed cases are horrible for bitcoin mining
Nobody can just buy a ready closed case & expect to stick a total of 8 gpus in there, the temperatures will kill any attempts at mining

Open or no casing is really the only way to fit 3-4 dual GPU's like 6990 into a single setup

The cablesaurus A1 chassis was pretty much perfect, all you need is a few fans & it could house 8 GPUs just fine top-mounted

Crappy image quality, had to find a small icon off cache & stretch since they no longer sell it

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
BitcoinRigs.com

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 12:50:26 AM

I asked this company how they keep their machines cool. http://www.bitcoinrigs.com/products/Professional-Rig-2000.html
Really? You're asking for tech support on a system we didn't sell?

Our Pro Rig with 3x 6990s typically run under 80c, in a room at 25c. That's plenty cool enough for 6990s.

Dedicated Bitcoin Mining Rigs from http://bitcoinrigs.com/
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 01:07:40 AM

Our Pro Rig with 3x 6990s typically run under 80c, in a room at 25c. That's plenty cool enough for 6990s.
eh... how about some pictures and some live videos?

shotgun

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:23:07 AM

Really? You're asking for tech support on a system we didn't sell?

I'm gonna be honest here. I don't see how any of your rigs, especially the rental one, is anything close to cost effective. You're charging $100 over retail for 6990 cards and the rental rigs would barely even break even at 3 months for the cost of the contract. Maybe I'm wrong - maybe you can explain the financial benefit and cost/performance analysis that shows them being profitable for the buyer at the current difficultly level.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: