Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:39:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 600,000 coins gone!! DPR's personal wallet un crackable!  (Read 8128 times)
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:41:26 AM

bottom line is FBI wont be Able to do anything with the 600k btc if they cant crack the wallet password.  DPR probably has multiple backups of the wallet hidden with friends or online.
HammerFist

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:09:16 AM

He could use it as prison currency.
Bitcoin is ideal for prison use.  It is impossible to find by the guards.  Everyone must get used to using brain wallets - but since they all have much time, this won't be too hard.  Bitcoin is perfect for use by locked up felons - and those on the run!!!  What a great world we live in.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:46:59 AM

hm... sry for ot, but would it be possible to develop a way/device/software/service where one could pay with bitcoins only via voice/phoneline ? imagine you could say a certain passphrase and the sum you want to spend and this service would execute this order...
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:58:54 AM

hm... sry for ot, but would it be possible to develop a way/device/software/service where one could pay with bitcoins only via voice/phoneline ? imagine you could say a certain passphrase and the sum you want to spend and this service would execute this order...

That's an excellent way to have the FBI empty your wallet while their tapping your phone. Someone should set this up.
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 12:13:38 PM

That's an excellent way to have the FBI empty your wallet while their tapping your phone. Someone should set this up.

fbi is stealing funds from citizens ? like from those that use telephone banking ? tell me it ain´t so.
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 01:21:34 PM

Bitcoin is ideal for prison use.  It is impossible to find by the guards.  Everyone must get used to using brain wallets

Haven't you heard about CageCoin? There's no computer needed. Not only does it exclusively use brain wallets, but the users calculate and validate the signatures themselves.

All the hashes are calculated in their heads, using an algorithm that's optimised for neuronal processing and therefore can't be beaten with a GPU or even an ASIC. I's virtually impossible for any one gang of inmates to gain 51% of hashing power, although I did hear that one group was experimenting with gene therapy to add direct hashing to their brain chemistry.

a hard fork would be...   uhm... split brain ?
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:13:08 PM

I still cannot believe the FBI has no clue about DPR's main account: They had been following and spying him for quite a long time and then decided to get him. If you delay the arrest of a suspect is because you're waiting for something, like in this case waiting for him to reveal in any way where he's keeping is money or where he keeps the private key. Is it possible the waited for so long without being able to catch it?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
HammerFist

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:37:33 PM

I still cannot believe the FBI has no clue about DPR's main account: They had been following and spying him for quite a long time and then decided to get him. If you delay the arrest of a suspect is because you're waiting for something, like in this case waiting for him to reveal in any way where he's keeping is money or where he keeps the private key. Is it possible the waited for so long without being able to catch it?
Are you on drugs?  The FBI couldn't care less about 600,000 bitcoin. What on earth do they want them for?  Do you think they would sell them and use the money to buy coffee for the agents?  80 million is nothing to the Fed.  There is no motivation whatever for the FBI to stall their investigation until they find the key.  If those 600000 coins go lost forever, the FBI doesn't give a damn.  Everyone who holds bitcoin should just celebrate that that value was instantly returned to the community.  All of our holdings just went up 5%.  The FBI doesn't want those bitcoins for any purpose.  They want that guy in jail - and now he is.  The FBI is starting to look for the next guy already.   They don't care about DPR's key in the least.  Let it die with him.

Maybe, they'd like to prevent him from getting that money to a lawyer.  $80million worth of legal services might bring them a headache.  Otherwise, they don't even want to find that money.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:40:10 PM

fbi is stealing funds from citizens ? like from those that use telephone banking ? tell me it ain´t so.
They don't, because if they want your $, they just call your bank.
With BTC they have nobody they can call to seize your wealth, so they might indeed make good use of such a service.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:42:28 PM

Guys this was posted on another thread but I'll drop it here:

https://blockchain.info/address/1933phfhK3ZgFQNLGSDXvqCn32k2buXY8a

Amount and beginning timestamp are in line. And it was definitely part of a SR tumbler system you can tell from the transaction logs.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:57:28 PM

Let's all hope it stays that way.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 05:07:49 PM

maybe they have installed a keylogger on his computer. or they say: give us the key and you will have only 40 years in jail instead of 70.
i guess they will get the coins.

kik1977

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:57:08 PM

maybe they have installed a keylogger on his computer. or they say: give us the key and you will have only 40 years in jail instead of 70.
i guess they will get the coins.

That's exactly what I thought.. I read somewhere (not sure if it's true or not, but it seems plausible), that FBI was watching him and on the day of his arrest, was waiting for him to access his password-protected laptop in order to arrest him once the password was typed in. That's why I wonder how it's possible they haven't grabbed the rest of the money yet. Analyzing the blockchain, it should be easy for them to see exactly where every satoshi went and possibly quite easy to exchange those wallets' private keys in exchange of some years in jail.   

600watt
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:07:49 PM

They don't, because if they want your $, they just call your bank.
With BTC they have nobody they can call to seize your wealth, so they might indeed make good use of such a service.

good point.
kik1977

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:28:02 PM

Are you on drugs?
1. No (unlike most of the people recently posting in this forum). But thanks for asking, appreciated.

The FBI couldn't care less about 600,000 bitcoin.
2. Ah, good to know. I must assume you know very well what you are talking about. Who gave you this information, if I can ask? Can you imagine the news if they get the rest of the money? It would be priceless for them, like for any other LEA (Law Enforcement Agency).

What on earth do they want them for?  Do you think they would sell them and use the money to buy coffee for the agents?
3. Maybe because the law says so? And obviously for the same reason mentioned at point 2.

80 million is nothing to the Fed.  There is no motivation whatever for the FBI to stall their investigation until they find the key.  If those 600000 coins go lost forever, the FBI doesn't give a damn.  
See point 2 again.

Everyone who holds bitcoin should just celebrate that that value was instantly returned to the community.  All of our holdings just went up 5%.
4. That's your opinion, I could also agree.

The FBI doesn't want those bitcoins for any purpose.  They want that guy in jail - and now he is.  The FBI is starting to look for the next guy already.   They don't care about DPR's key in the least.  Let it die with him.
See point 2 again. What do you say? They don't want to grab the money??? The recovery of the assets is always a target, not only to catch the bad guys.

Maybe, they'd like to prevent him from getting that money to a lawyer.  $80million worth of legal services might bring them a headache.  Otherwise, they don't even want to find that money.
5. If they get the money, THIS will prevent him from using it for paying a bunch of lawyers.

6. You don't need to be aggressive when you share your opinion on this forum! Smiley

Peace! Cheers!

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 09:42:15 PM

He could use it as prison currency.
Bitcoin is ideal for prison use.  It is impossible to find by the guards.  Everyone must get used to using brain wallets - but since they all have much time, this won't be too hard.  Bitcoin is perfect for use by locked up felons - and those on the run!!!  What a great world we live in.

How would you spend it in prison? Pen/paper and a math textbook? or maybe it will be 'off-chain'?

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:12:39 AM

Attn: Any FBI agent with access to any seized bitcoin private keys,

You can anonymously take those bitcoins and no one will be the wiser. Mix them up a bit and do what you wish with them. It is much easier then stealing drugs or cash out of the evidence room.

tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:11:42 AM

Even if the FBI is not able to transfer the money, merely having possession of the wallet file itself is enough to prevent the coins being spent.

I guess the guardian should investigate a little more about their topics before printing such false claims. Lips sealed
* tkbx punches a wall
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:16:09 PM

You can anonymously take those bitcoins and no one will be the wiser. Mix them up a bit and do what you wish with them. It is much easier then stealing drugs or cash out of the evidence room.

There is an evidence room?

po1992one

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:25:44 PM

Thats exactly what I thought, if they know the private keys, some FBI savvy dude will steal it. Welcome to the jungle!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: