Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:27:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTC-TC] The rise and fall of W4A-BOOK  (Read 1937 times)
RangerK (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 12:58:22 AM

I've completed a buyback of the asset I issued, W4A-BOOK, on btct.co.  I'm posting here for the sake of openness and transparency.

BACKGROUND:

The asset W4A-BOOK was a new idea in crowdfunding.  Rather than relying on philanthropy or advanced sales of my next book, I wanted to try selling shares of it.  This would allow philanthropists to share in my success, should I find it.

The book is a memoir about getting recalled for a third combat tour (to Afghanistan) while becoming a radical libertarian.

I already have credentials as a writers:
- http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/roman-skaskiw/
- http://www.amazon.com/The-Tea-Party-Explained-Ideas/dp/0812698312

Anyway, after some conversations with btct.co's Ethan Burnside (a great gentleman), I applied to have securities issued.  My application was approved on August 9th.  A few days later, I attempted (and succeeded) in selling 100 of the 400 shares I issued for .24 BTC each.  The 100 shares represented 10% ownership of the book and a 10% claim on all proceeds I might earn.

The reason I only sold 100 shares was because I was more interested in proving a concept than in raising money.

Step one seemed like a success.  With 24 bitcoins in my paper wallet, I'm began writing (and attending bitcoin & libertarian conferences).

Then came the bad news that Btct.co was closing.  See their website (https://btct.co/) for the announcement or bitcointalk.org (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=125629.msg3214807#msg3214807) for the discussion.

THREE OPTIONS:

I considered the following:

1. Transfer of shares to another exchange.

2. Continued ownership of shares in private.

3. A buy-back of all shares.

COMMENTARY:

I didn't like #1 for several reasons:
- It takes time and effort to issue shares and since we still don't know the details behind BTCT's closure, I fear other Bitcoin stock exchanges might meet the same fate.
- The fee for issuing a security is usually 2 to 5 BTC.  That's a non-trivial amount when you're only planning to raise 20-something BTC.

#2 was a possibility, though my main objective was proving a concept and perhaps generating a little publicity.  If the stock exchange aspect was all handled privately, my goals wouldn't really be met.  There'd be no market for shares of the book.

My preference was #3, buying back all shares at the original issuing price -- 0.24 BTC each.  Since trading volume for this asset was extremely low, such a buy-back would cause most parties to break even or come close.  #3 had another advantage: simplicity.

ACTION

I communicated with shareholders via email.  Those who responded represented over 90% of the outstanding shares.  They agreed with #3.  One of them, the largest shareholder, initially preferred #2, continuing our agreement in private.  I was prepared to do that, but he deferred to my preference (which I described as a "slight preference" in our correspondence).

He gave me lots of encouragement for this project, and is another example of the good faith and integrity that always impresses me in the Bitcoin community.

Today, I completed the buyback.  BTCT.CO had a system for actually buying back shares through their website, but they also had a warning that customers should withdraw their funds.  I didn't want to send money to a website which may be in regulatory trouble, so I shut off trading and executed the buyback by simply sending BTC to the public keys of all the shareholders.  I emailed each of them a transaction ID.

============

I invite you all to purchase an advanced copy of the memoir:  https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/182  The new working title is "The Way Back".

Cool ---> Who will mine the next 777 Block??? Place your bets at block777.com!!!
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
szmarco

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile