Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:08:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have intel with NVIDIA and what is easiest cheapest way to start mining?  (Read 3316 times)
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 09:12:31 PM

Stop asking questions and start doing research. If you can't do your own research do everyone a favor, and forget about mining.
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 01:31:47 AM

From reading about mining, it seems that the NVIDIA will not work for mining.
When I did try mining, the GUIminer program said there was 'NOTHING TO MINE ON' and would not mine.

So what is the easiest and cheapest way for me to sample or try out mining?

I want the easiest and cheapest way to actually do some mining for a beginner.

thanks

Buy a 2nd hand HD 7950 or HD 7850 to try out. Please take note you will unlikely to ROI.

1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 02:52:28 AM

It is not completely true that nVidia card will not work, but it is true that nVidia cards without support of OpenCL will not.
For example, if you try nVidia GT240 it will work.
You have to check if you card supports OpenCL.
Other thing is that architecture of AMD video cards is much better can be used for mining, so even very powerful gaming nVidia cards have lower hash speed than mid range AMD cards.

P.S. I recommend you to mine litecoins, as mining bitcoins using video card is not profitable anymore.

My nvidia care has no support for OpenCL, and cannot use CUDA either.

I was reading about these raspberry pi things that cost $25-$35 or so, and use very little electricity.
What about those? ( I noticed that these raspberry pi things don't use windows operating system though, so I would need to get a different operating system it seems in order to use this for mining bitcoins).

I don't know much about the block erupters. I read a bit about that too.

If I exchange my Nvidia card for one of the amd ati cards that is good for mining, would my pc then be able to mine bitcoins, with just putting in an amd ati radeon graphics card?

Just get you a pair of Raspberry Pi units, and install Pi-Miner. Sync the two units with PI-Miner so the first one is on a phase shift of 180 degrees. Use a heatsink on the first, but NOT the 2nd raspberry Pi.

kuusj98

Activity: 812

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:53:52 AM

When I did try mining, the GUIminer program said there was 'NOTHING TO MINE ON' and would not mine.

thanks

Buy a 2nd hand HD 7950 or HD 7850 to try out. Please take note you will unlikely to ROI.
Cheapest HD7850 second hand is around 100 bucks and it get to around 350 with a cheap ass cooler and with a Asus DCII I get 420 kh/s.

Edit: 400 kh/s is 25 bucks a month without electricity, with litecoin being 550% more profitable than BTC.

So in 5 months you will payoff a card which costs 100 bucks considering the diff will rise.
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

thanks

Cheapest HD7850 second hand is around 100 bucks and it get to around 350 with a cheap ass cooler and with a Asus DCII I get 420 kh/s.

Edit: 400 kh/s is 25 bucks a month without electricity, with litecoin being 550% more profitable than BTC.

So in 5 months you will payoff a card which costs 100 bucks considering the diff will rise.

I am quite pessimistic now after the drop of litecoin price.

pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 03:14:31 PM

I stuck a 7870 on LTC a few months back (purchased 6/6/13 for $229)

Hashes right around 400kh/s. It still hasn't paid for itself, but I could sell and make money back yet.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
optimiz3

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:59:18 PM

If you have Windows 8, try http://www.groupfabric.com/bitcoin-miner/. It's DirectCompute (DirectX) based and since you're Intel+NVidia, it should work better for you than OpenCL based miners.  It requires zero technical knowledge to start mining.

Disclaimer: I'm the author of Bitcoin Miner.

Good luck, and let me know if you have questions.
Eternity

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:03:01 PM

Start mining altcoins

Dont mine bitcoins really waste of time using nvidia cards
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:55:21 PM

Nvidia is useless, you are paying more electricity then what you get. Best way is trade it for HD 7950 or HD 7970..

just_me (OP)

Activity: 420

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:33:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

Initially, I think I just want to try out mining, and I don't want to spend all that much on hardware.

Therefore, the USB erupters or the raspberry pi things, are likely more economical, so I will likely

just research those, and maybe try those out.

I was talking to a local computer store worker, and he was telling me that my pc likely doesn't have enough electrical power for the

newer AMD graphics cards, so it seems I would need to buy new parts, or perhaps a new computer, to make it compliant with the AMD graphics cards.

USB erupters or raspberry pi.

Thanks again Smiley

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 04:08:44 PM

if you must then
USB Erupters + decent powered USB HUB [i.e. 2Amp / 4 port] and a raspberry Pi to tun it all

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 04:10:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

Initially, I think I just want to try out mining, and I don't want to spend all that much on hardware.

Therefore, the USB erupters or the raspberry pi things, are likely more economical, so I will likely

just research those, and maybe try those out.

I was talking to a local computer store worker, and he was telling me that my pc likely doesn't have enough electrical power for the

newer AMD graphics cards, so it seems I would need to buy new parts, or perhaps a new computer, to make it compliant with the AMD graphics cards.

USB erupters or raspberry pi.

Thanks again Smiley

A block erupter you'd buy today would only give you about 4-6$ in revenue, for a 15$ cost. Plus the cost of the Pi and all the rest.
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 07:26:51 PM

Block erupters are a waste. You need to invest a descent amount of money for btc mining at this point. If you want to ltc mine you need to spend about $1000 or more. Get 4x 7950's and the correct parts to run them. Maybe just build yourself a gaming pc that can mine as well. That way when you don't break even you at least have a cheap gaming rig.
surebet

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:52:34 PM

Block erupters are a waste. You need to invest a descent amount of money for btc mining at this point. If you want to ltc mine you need to spend about $1000 or more. Get 4x 7950's and the correct parts to run them. Maybe just build yourself a gaming pc that can mine as well. That way when you don't break even you at least have a cheap gaming rig.

What? That even worse.
Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:11:57 AM

To sum up the entire rest of the content of this thread. Unless you have $4000 you want to gamble on this there isn't much hope of great profits.
just_me (OP)

Activity: 420

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:28:05 AM

What if I mine one of the other alt-coins?
I am thinking that some of those coins may not be as competitive, so even with a smaller investment in mining hardware, maybe I can still get some decent returns off of my investment in the hardware.

Currently, I am just thinking of a really low way to try out mining, in the first place, and if/when I actually get the mining functioning,
then I will decide whether to upgrade or not. I will not spend $1000 or more, simply to test out mining, as it might be a complete waste of my time, when in fact I still have not gotten any mining to function at all for me as yet.

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:31:24 PM

Well, if you really wanna try it, just buy 1 USB eruptor and nothing else...

Beans

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:47:10 PM

What if I mine one of the other alt-coins?
I am thinking that some of those coins may not be as competitive, so even with a smaller investment in mining hardware, maybe I can still get some decent returns off of my investment in the hardware.

Currently, I am just thinking of a really low way to try out mining, in the first place, and if/when I actually get the mining functioning,
then I will decide whether to upgrade or not. I will not spend $1000 or more, simply to test out mining, as it might be a complete waste of my time, when in fact I still have not gotten any mining to function at all for me as yet.

You need a Gpu to mine alt coins. You could buy one card and a power supply large enough to support it. Your still looking at a descent amount of money.
Beans

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:50:24 PM

What? That even worse.

Maybe if your power rates are really high. I only pay 2 cents a kwh, so I'm doing just fine.
surebet

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 10:30:23 PM

What? That even worse.

Maybe if your power rates are really high. I only pay 2 cents a kwh, so I'm doing just fine.

I recently built a quad 7970 gaming rig, no way in hell I'd be able to cover it's costs, though at 5.4¢. Even at 2¢ I don't see it.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: