Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:26:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bricked RX 570  (Read 482 times)
tvrsh (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 06:47:00 PM

I flashed my Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB about a week ago and it was working fine and was the only card in my franken-rig. Yesterday though, I changed my PSU (from 600W to 650W) and added a second Sapphire RX 570 to my rig, which was running on the stock bios. Upon start up, the fans on both cards were spinning very fast, and eventually the fans and lights on the modded card stopped working and it's not powering up at all now, while the unmodded card is working perfectly fine. I also had the PSU plugged into a watt meter, and it didn't go above 250W, which makes sense since the cards weren't under load.

Some things I've tried to fix this:
1. Testing the PCI slot with another card (which worked), and putting the bricked GPU into another rig (which didn't work)
2. Running ati pixel patcher
3. Running "atiflash -f -p 1 stock.rom" to flash the card back to stock, but I get an error message saying "adapter not found"

I'm now looking into flipping the bios switch, but I'm not sure if there's something else I should try. A lot of people have mentioned flashing/reflashing the card, but I don't know how that would work considering the card won't power up at all, which is why I wasn't surprised I got the "adapter not found" message.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I try to RMA this thing? If I flip the bios switch and it works, is there any way for me to reflash the other bios back to stock? Any help is appreciated.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NASer122

Activity: 252
Merit: 102

Borderless for the People, Frictionless for the Ba

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:05:03 PM

Obviously, you want to better performance of mining card, didn't think out of the question, the default is actually very good, so can prolong life, reduce power consumption, I also with before, and then found that time can use came to hang out in fact play with

T r a x i o n                              TRADE AND EARN DURING PRE-ICO
TRANSITIONS YOU TO A CRYPTO-READY SOCIETY        Pre-Sale starts April 15, 2018
GITHUB     TELEGRAM     MEDIUM     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     REDDIT     YOUTUBE
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:32:11 PM

I flashed my Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB...I'm now looking into flipping the bios switch.

Disconnect all the cards except for the Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB.

Flip the bios switch. Boot into windows. Once booted into windows flip the switch. Flash the bios with the stock bios.

Did you use the Polaris Bios editor (latest version)? If so, did you just click the one click timing button in the bottom right?
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:44:48 PM

I flashed my Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB...I'm now looking into flipping the bios switch.

Disconnect all the cards except for the Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB.

Flip the bios switch. Boot into windows. Once booted into windows flip the switch. Flash the bios with the stock bios.

Did you use the Polaris Bios editor (latest version)? If so, did you just click the one click timing button in the bottom right?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Do you mean flip the bios switch while it's off, then boot into windows on the second bios, flip the switch back to the one that isn't working while its on and flash it back to stock?

And yes, I used Polaris Bios editor and the one click timing. Does that matter?
whoismoses

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:52:55 PM

Turn the computer off, flip the bios switch to the setting where it will boot.

Turn the computer on.

Once on, flip the switch again. It is ok to flip while it is running.

Flash the bios back to stock and try to mod the bios again.
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:28:21 PM

Turn the computer on.

Same issue still even after flipping the bios switch. Fans on the Sapphire RX 570 aren't spinning and it's not being recognized by Windows 10.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:27:35 PM

Turn the computer on.

Same issue still even after flipping the bios switch. Fans on the Sapphire RX 570 aren't spinning and it's not being recognized by Windows 10.

Well, if you cannot get it to boot with a flip from BIOS switch I don't believe it's the BIOS that is causing that.

Once again:
1) Turn off your PC
2) Switch to UNMODDED BIOS
3) Boot your rig

Does your GPU show signs of life?

Yes) Congratz!                               No) Possible hardware problem, if under warranty return it

SubutaiKHAN

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:31:22 PM

I've personally found that the Nitro+ 570s can be a bit touchy with BIOS modding. I have one that will NOT take a bios mod, no matter what process I use.
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:12:13 PM

Turn the computer on.

Well, if you cannot get it to boot with a flip from BIOS switch I don't believe it's the BIOS that is causing that.

Once again:
1) Turn off your PC
2) Switch to UNMODDED BIOS
3) Boot your rig

Does your GPU show signs of life?

Yes) Congratz!                               No) Possible hardware problem, if under warranty return it

That is what I did. I've switched back and forth between the modded and unmodded bios both when the PC was on and off, and it's the same result. The fans don't spin and the GPU isn't detected by Windows 10. The only sign of life is the Sapphire logo is flickering weakly.

It's still under warranty, but what's the policy regarding a flashed bios? Would they even be able to tell, given the card can't even power up?
whoismoses

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:18:46 PM

Normally if you mod the bios you void the warrenty (I think). However, if the un-modded bios also doesn't work either the card is just bad (or you OC'd it too much).
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:25:14 PM

Normally if you mod the bios you void the warrenty (I think). However, if the un-modded bios also doesn't work either the card is just bad (or you OC'd it too much).

It was overclocked to 2250MHz, but it was running fine for a month OC'd, and it was running fine for a week with the modded bios and OC'd. Temperature was also below 60.
R0land

Activity: 208
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:39:10 PM

1. Unplug the bricked card.
2. Use DDU to delete the amd drivers in safe mode.
3. After a restart windows installs the Microsoft standard drivers.
4. Turn off and plug the bricked card.
5. Now, if you are lucky, you can flash an other BIOS to the card.
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:41:36 PM

1. Unplug the bricked card.
2. Use DDU to delete the amd drivers in safe mode.
3. After a restart windows installs the Microsoft standard drivers.
4. Turn off and plug the bricked card.
5. Now, if you are lucky, you can flash an other BIOS to the card.

I'll try this when I get home. Heading out now for a couple of hours.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:41:51 PM

It was overclocked to 2250MHz, but it was running fine for a month OC'd, and it was running fine for a week with the modded bios and OC'd. Temperature was also below 60.
I wonder how would they find out that the BIOS was modded. 'Cause you know, the GPU is not showing anything Grin.
Maybe someone can explain how the warranty providers find out about the BIOS mod?

tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:47:55 PM

I wonder how would they find out that the BIOS was modded. 'Cause you know, the GPU is not showing anything Grin.
Maybe someone can explain how the warranty providers find out about the BIOS mod?

I'd like to know this as well. As far as I can tell, the only thing working is the LED lights, and just barely.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:34:32 PM

Seems like not a Bricked issue for me but a dead card.

If its not totally detected by your motherboard bios and your OS then its time to RMA it.

tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 04:22:41 AM

Seems like not a Bricked issue for me but a dead card.

If its not totally detected by your motherboard bios and your OS then its time to RMA it.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I mean the whole card worked fine for a while even after flashing it. It's just when I changed the PSU and added another card (same model) that it died.

I've also gone through the motherboard BIOS on two different computers and haven't been able to see my GPU anywhere.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 04:48:41 AM

Did you modded your own bios or downloaded from the internet and flashed to your card ?

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:12:28 AM

Did you modded your own bios or downloaded from the internet and flashed to your card ?

I didn't download a bios. I just used the one click timing patch on Polaris and then programmed the modded bios using atiwinflash.
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 08:52:52 AM

I had a similar experience with my XFX 290 reference series. Hot air gun has brought back my XFX 290 to live. Covering other part using aluminum foil except for a card processor, heat it using Hot Air Gun with a distance between 50cm and temperature 300 degrees (Celcius). My hot air gun has two different temperature (300 and 600). (this is the last thing you can do). If your card still under warranty, just RMA it.

am playing around with this bios card using Hawaii bios editor causing this card dying.  Angry
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: