Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:44:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Brainstorm] Implications of Blacklisting DPR's Seized Bitcoins  (Read 4924 times)
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 12:55:45 AM

1) What are the implications of Bitcoin as a protocol as a whole if the seized coins are blacklisted?
2) How does this affect the pending legal status of Bitcoin and its uses?
3) If they were blacklisted how would this be done? Would miners simply refuse transactions from these coins? Or could they be returned to the network in the least disruptive way?

Not actually advocating this, but its just been a thought that has been on my mind.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 01:52:08 AM

You and several other people blacklist it and vow to never accept bitcoins from that address.

And the rest of us will accept them and they will propagate out to the whole network.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:00:20 AM

How can I blacklist all the $20's with traces of cocaine on? A lot of singles end up inside the panty of strippers. I need to find a way to blacklist them too. Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:05:19 AM

these coins are perfectly legit

the FBI won them fair and square.

Rez

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:09:21 AM

You don't.

That's how cash works.

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:11:53 AM

1) What are the implications of Bitcoin as a protocol as a whole if the seized coins are blacklisted?
Bitcoin would essentially be a complicated and inconvenient PayPal competitor.

Bitcoin needs to follow the rules of the Bitcoin network protocol for everyone, without exceptions.  Otherwise it's no different than a centrally controlled currency.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:14:23 AM

You and several other people blacklist it and vow to never accept bitcoins from that address.

And the rest of us will accept them and they will propagate out to the whole network.

As I said before, it would be interesting to see what happens if the coins were sent TO MTGOX for exchange.  The US Government has taken Bitcoins from MTGOX via seizure. 

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:24:07 AM

If such a blacklisting scheme that worked were implemented, it would be used against us at best and would kill the value of Bitcoin at worst.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:54:49 AM

Horrible Idea. Bitcoins should be neutral forever and always. No matter how they are ill gained.

more or less retired.
Pumpkin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:52:10 AM

Fungibility is an extremely important property for bitcoin, as it is for all kinds of money! Take away fungibility and bitcoin is dead.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:58:53 AM

And how are you going to blacklist coins?

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 09:02:28 AM

Call James Spader.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:10:27 AM

Call James Spader.

So funny, that I nearly peed

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:36:30 AM

Apart from the fact that it would be a terrible idea for the whole Bitcoin environment, as fully discussed in many other threads on the same topic, I still wonder one thing... WHY one should do that? What's wrong with it? Why you should blacklist those coins?
They have been used in the commission of a crime (as recognised in almost every jurisdiction) and have been consequently seized. Full stop. What's your problem with that?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:49:26 AM

because, someone might think it delightfully evil to disallow the fedz to spend or exchange the confiscated bitcoin, rendering those coins worthless.  Cry Cheesy

NEVER GOT PAID.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:57:57 AM

because, someone might think it delightfully evil to disallow the fedz to spend or exchange the confiscated bitcoin, rendering those coins worthless.  Cry Cheesy

I don't think there are enough dumb guys who would undermine the stability, fungibility and possibilities of success of this currency just because they don't like laws and rules.. or at least I hope so.

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 12:03:54 PM

3) If they were blacklisted how would this be done? Would miners simply refuse transactions from these coins? Or could they be returned to the network in the least disruptive way?
This is the important point, in my opinion. How can this even be done?

If we can find no proper way of doing this, discussing the implications is irrelevant.

You have the right to refuse to accept any coins you want, as does everyone else. In order to effectively blacklist these coins, everyone would have to refuse to accept them. How would you get everyone to do that?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 09:13:35 PM

One of the most effective disruptive activities I imagine the Feds or banking industry could do, is publish their own white/blacklists of coins, with the implications that as long as businesses accept only whitelisted and/or refuse any blacklisted coins, that they have the blessings of the powers that be.

Of course, this wouldn't really stop anyone from using blacklisted coins, and especially those outside the US could do as they please... those who didn't honor the fed's coloring of coins would not be impeded in any way... but I will bet that if the fed colors the coins, they could successfully force the market to start tracking a different market price for their different colors of coins.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:26:17 PM

One of the most effective disruptive activities I imagine the Feds or banking industry could do, is publish their own white/blacklists of coins, with the implications that as long as businesses accept only whitelisted and/or refuse any blacklisted coins, that they have the blessings of the powers that be.

Of course, this wouldn't really stop anyone from using blacklisted coins, and especially those outside the US could do as they please... those who didn't honor the fed's coloring of coins would not be impeded in any way... but I will bet that if the fed colors the coins, they could successfully force the market to start tracking a different market price for their different colors of coins.

Couldn't the owner of a significant quantity of blackened coins taint everyone else by sending out hundreds or thousands of small or large amounts to "clean" addresses?
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:35:36 PM

how is it even possible, technically speaking?

NEVER GOT PAID.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: