Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:16:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obamacare Marketplace: Personal Data Can Be Used For ‘Law Enforcement and Audit  (Read 6304 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:27:11 AM

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obamacare-marketplace-personal-data-can-be-used-law-enforcement-and-audit-activities_762237.html

Maryland's Health Connection, the state's Obamacare marketplace, has been plagued by delays in the first days of open enrollment.  If users are able to endure long page-loading delays, they are presented with the website's privacy policy, a ubiquitous fine-print feature on websites that often go unread. Nevertheless, users are asked to check off a box that they agree to the terms.

The policy contains many standard statements about information automatically collected regarding Internet browsers and IP addresses, temporary "cookies" used by the site, and website accessibility.  However, at least two conditions may give some users pause before proceeding.

The first is regarding personal information submitted with an application for those users who follow through on the sign up process all the way to the end.  The policy states that all information to help in applying for coverage and even for making a payment will be kept strictly confidential and only be used to carry out the function of the marketplace.  There is, however, an exception: "[W]e may share information provided in your application with the appropriate authorities for law enforcement and audit activities."  Here is the entire paragraph from the policy the includes the exception [emphasis added]:

Should you decide to apply for health coverage through Maryland Health Connection, the information you supply in your application will be used to determine whether you are eligible for health and dental coverage offered through Maryland Health Connection and for insurance affordability programs. It also may be used to assist you in making a payment for the insurance plan you select, and for related automated reminders or other activities permitted by law.  We will preserve the privacy of personal records and protect confidential or privileged information in full accordance with federal and State law. We will not sell your information to others.  Any information that you provide to us in your application will be used only to carry out the functions of Maryland Health Connection. The only exception to this policy is that we may share information provided in your application with the appropriate authorities for law enforcement and audit activities.

The site does not specify if "appropriate authorities" refers only to state authorities or if it could include the federal government, as well.  Neither is there any detail on what type of law enforcement and/or audit activities would justify the release of the personal information, or who exactly is authorized to make such a determination.  An email to the Maryland Health Connection's media contact seeking clarification has not yet been answered

The second privacy term that may prompt caution by users relates to email communications.  The policy reads:

If you send us an e-mail, we use the information you send us to respond to your inquiry. E-mail correspondence may become a public record. As a public record, your correspondence could be disclosed to other parties upon their request in accordance with Maryland’s Public Information Act.

Since emails to the marketplace could conceivably involve private matters regarding finances, health history, and other sensitive issues, the fact that such information could be made part of the "public record" could prevent users from being as free with their information than they might otherwise be.  However, as noted, any requests for such emails would still be subject to Maryland's Public Information Act which contains certain exceptions to the disclosure rules.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:34:12 AM

have you ever gone to school?

they already have all your info....

just buy it, Obamacare isn't as HORRIBLE as fox news makes it out to be, if you don't have healthcare insurance YOU ARE A MORON.

btw what does it cost for Obamacare ? just so i can compare it to the Mandatory basic health care insurance we have here in Quebec.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:47:57 AM

just buy it, Obamacare isn't as HORRIBLE as fox news makes it out to be, if you don't have healthcare insurance YOU ARE A MORON.

btw what does it cost for Obamacare ? just so i can compare it to the Mandatory basic health care insurance we have here in Quebec.

I haven't done much research but from what I've heard so far:

Few people can get it right now because their gov-owned website is horrendous and won't let most people sign up for it (but this shouldn't be surprising.)  Those who have gotten through have realized that it is generally both more expensive (!) and covers less (!) than what their employers already offer; in other words, it's a waste of time and money.  Three cheers for the state.

Anyway, why must someone be considered moronic for not having health insurance?  If health care was both affordable and necessary at all times in a person's life, surely insurance would be simply an extra provision; what separates health insurance from an individual merely setting aside a portion of their check for when they need it?

RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:29:41 PM

Or maybe you just can't afford the Affordable Healthcare Act.

Affordable coverage of pre-existing conditions was a primary selling point of Obamacare.  An acquaintance has diabetes.  She went to sign up and found that the best plan she could get would cost $500+ per month in premiums and came with a $14,000/year deductible.  She didn't enroll and doesn't know if she will.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:43:25 PM

Anyway, why must someone be considered moronic for not having health insurance?  If health care was both affordable and necessary at all times in a person's life, surely insurance would be simply an extra provision; what separates health insurance from an individual merely setting aside a portion of their check for when they need it?

You have insurance for things that:
a) have a low likelihood of happening, but
b) have a large financial consequence if they do happen

The chance of you having a complex condition that requires lifetime care is very low. The cost if you did have such a condition would be beyond the reach of most people. Therefore you buy insurance to cover that risk.

There is no point insuring against things that are very likely to happen, and whose financial costs are known, you should just save for those yourself.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:54:04 PM

To paraphrase a famous (to my eyes only) poster here in this section of the bitcointalk forum: "Obamacare is the ILLUMINATI" Grin

Seriously I am surprised some of you, bitcoin lover, would trust a system that is openly telling you the secret you have between you and your personal doctor will be shared with homeland security and all of his employees.

Simple question is why? Is it for our own good again? To protect us from hackers? To make sure our ID is safe? Don;t forget everything will be shared. This is the law of the land. If you cannot pay there will be a penalty of a little less than $100. Then in about 2 years the penalty will be multiplied by 6 if you keep skipping the payment. They will have direct access to your bank account and assets.
I truly do not believe all in favor of (free, this is how it was sold to us) universal healthcare wanted all of this. But again the media are telling us this is our new reality and to even speak up about it is racism against our beloved president.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 05:22:49 AM

Few people can get it right now because their gov-owned website is horrendous and won't let most people sign up for it (but this shouldn't be surprising.)  Those who have gotten through have realized that it is generally both more expensive (!) and covers less (!) than what their employers already offer; in other words, it's a waste of time and money.  Three cheers for the state.

Apparently the site (healthcare.gov) cost over $500 million to create by a company named CGI Federal. And it still sucks.

Also insurance companies lobbied for and helped write this law. Now why would insurance companies want a law that mandated *everyone* in the US to buy health insurance?? It's a mystery!!! :-/
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:20:32 AM

Few people can get it right now because their gov-owned website is horrendous and won't let most people sign up for it (but this shouldn't be surprising.)  Those who have gotten through have realized that it is generally both more expensive (!) and covers less (!) than what their employers already offer; in other words, it's a waste of time and money.  Three cheers for the state.

Apparently the site (healthcare.gov) cost over $500 million to create by a company named CGI Federal. And it still sucks.

Also insurance companies lobbied for and helped write this law. Now why would insurance companies want a law that mandated *everyone* in the US to buy health insurance?? It's a mystery!!! :-/

Yes. It is a giant scam. The law is more than 10 000 pages long. It is mostly a big databank vacuum to suck and link your ID with homeland security. This not even a conspiracy.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 01:52:33 AM

You guys forgot to mention that doctors are now asking you if you are a gun owner as required by this legislation. Doctor asks, if you are dumb enough to reply it goes into the "medical" records, and is fed to the federal government. Backdoor national gun registry anyone?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:26:54 PM

You just need to STFU about things you don't know anything about, don't you?  In Canada, money for health care is doled to the provinces and they run the budget on it.  We are talking something different here in the USA, here it is supposedly done at the federal level.

Secondly, no you are NOT A MORON if you don't have health insurance, because then (HERE, UNDER OBAMACARE) you pay a penalty and get it for free or the cost of the penalty, if you wish to consider it that way.

And No, they don't "already have all your info..."   They are here, in this legislation, attempting to get exactly that.  Schools are county operations, and counties here are state ran - not federal.

I'm being critical because I have to, not because I am trying to be rude.  Too many mistakes in your post....assuming parallels with your medical system is of course false....
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:29:46 PM

Yes. It is a giant scam. The law is more than 10 000 pages long. It is mostly a big databank vacuum to suck and link your ID with homeland security. This not even a conspiracy.
But Muslims aren't required to participate and don't get penalized.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:07:48 AM

I did not know that. That is pretty sad for a "Universal US Healthcare". And I thought becoming Amish was my only option.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:54:58 AM

I did not know that. That is pretty sad for a "Universal US Healthcare". And I thought becoming Amish was my only option.
To be more specific, any Muslim may apply for an exemption and it would almost certainly be granted.  It has to do with their beliefs about insurance being evil.

But there is no constraint against a Muslim taking free government benefits, including health care.

So - as I read it here is what happens.

They can get it for free if in those income brackets.  If above those brackets, they cannot be charged a penalty for refusing to sign up.  But they would be not be turned away.

Therefore they would get it for free.
Severian

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:11:00 AM

Show us where it says that in the law.
Severian

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:12:24 AM

if you don't have healthcare insurance YOU ARE A MORON.

If you think Obamacare is a solution, you're a bigger moron.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:08:08 PM

Show us where it says that in the law.
That's ridiculous.  It's the same set of clauses that allow opt out for Christian Scientists.  There is no need to mention Muslims by name.  It simply requires the religion to have been established since 1950.

The difference of course is that Muslims are a far larger sect than the others who may possibly seek to be excluded from coverage, penalties and patments.
Severian

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:09:53 PM

There is no need to mention Muslims by name. 

So then why bring them up?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:32:50 PM

There is no need to mention Muslims by name. 

So then why bring them up?
Huh

I think I explained that, but maybe it wasn't clear.  Muslims are not a minor sect that can be disregarded as having any significant cost on Obamacare when you and I pick up the tab.

There is a second issue which you may be alluding to, which is political in nature and has to do with slanting issues such that Obama is shown to seem to be favoring Muslims.  I happen to agree with that but there's enough truth there there is no need to slant issues.

Muslims can either get out of O-care or they can not. 

And they can.  We can't.

Fair enough?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:34:53 PM

if you don't have healthcare insurance YOU ARE A MORON.

If you think Obamacare is a solution, you're a bigger moron.

If you are 27 and Obamacare would cost you $6000 per year but the penalty maxes out at $900 and you buy Obamacare, you are a total moron.

Because these financial incentives exist for intelligent people to pay the penalty preferentially, Obamacare is totally moronic.
Severian

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:32:01 PM

Muslims can either get out of O-care or they can not. 

And they can.  We can't.

I'm more worried about the government's zealotry than I am about who will wisely choose to stay away from Obamacare, no matter their religion.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: