Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:29:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Judge Sends Silk Road Suspect to New York  (Read 696 times)
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:15:53 PM

Judge Sends Silk Road Suspect to New York

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/oct/09/judge-sends-suspect-silk-road-drug-website-case-ne/

His attorney denied he used any aliases.

FBI agents appear to have penetrated the behind-the-scenes operations of Silk Road and obtained a list of the sites users and sellers, court papers show.

"These latest arrests are just the start; there are many more to come," said Keith Bristow, head of the U.K. newly established National Crime Agency.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:20:33 PM

That was to be expected.

If he ever stands trial, it will be interesting to see whether it happens in NY or Maryland.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:21:23 PM

it's really a fine line they are walking and such a gray area since not everything sold was illegal in all jurisdictions. everytime i read such statements it makes me confused. makes it seem like there are no countries anymore and just states of the US.

ok
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:34:22 PM

CA or NY, that should be the same thing since SR was a worldwide service. Or could it be that the alleged offenses get harsher sentences in NY? That would be another bad news for the accused who started his defense with a Californian lawyer. He will have to find another lawyer, meaning more expensive fees.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 09:43:36 PM

Wait, list of SR users? I thought all personal data between buyers and sellers was exchanged through PGP, and only buyer information was reveiled to the seller so they knew where to ship? Did SR users post their personal info in the clear???
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:44:54 PM

Wait, list of SR users? I thought all personal data between buyers and sellers was exchanged through PGP, and only buyer information was reveiled to the seller so they knew where to ship? Did SR users post their personal info in the clear???

Quite a few people didn't use PGP with addresses.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:54:46 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2013, 12:58:54 AM by repentance

it's really a fine line they are walking and such a gray area since not everything sold was illegal in all jurisdictions. everytime i read such statements it makes me confused. makes it seem like there are no countries anymore and just states of the US.

It's not a fine line and it's not a gray area.  What he did was illegal in the US, he's resident in the US, and it's US laws under which he's being charged.  It doesn't matter if some SR activity was legal.  It wouldn't even matter if  most of the activity on SR had been legally.  It's knowingly facilitating the illegal activity which is the issue here.

They're not trying to prosecute him on the basis of people using SR to sell goods legal in their own jurisdiction domestically.  He's not being charged by other nations - although he's almost certainly broken the laws of other Western nations as well.

What's going to be more interesting is how the vendors who have been arrested are charged.   Here, drug offences are generally dealt with at state level but once you throw importation into the mix it's a much more serious ball game.  A drug sale which would attract one penalty if it was wholly domestic can potentially attract a much more severe penalty if the buyer has imported the drugs from overseas.  

Are the authorities going to "throw the book" at people by using the most serious charges possible or will they use the more mundane laws they'd apply to domestic sales/purchases?

CA or NY, that should be the same thing since SR was a worldwide service. Or could it be that the alleged offenses get harsher sentences in NY? That would be another bad news for the accused who started his defense with a Californian lawyer. He will have to find another lawyer, meaning more expensive fees.

The charges in the two jurisdictions aren't the same.  In fact there are bound to be other US jurisdictions in which he could also be charged.

It's likely that the authorities will work out between themselves which jurisdiction should proceed first.  NY seems to have the more compelling evidence in relation to SR and Maryland has the more compelling evidence in relation to murder for hire/attempted witness murder.  Of course the charges laid so far are only the beginning and there will most likely be many more.

The California lawyer was only ever going to be representing him until he was removed to NY (or Maryland, but Maryland didn't ask for his removal to there).  He's entitled to a public defender in NY just as he was in California.  It would have been kind of silly to pay a Californian lawyer when the case itself was never going to take place in California and there was zero chance of him not being removed to NY.  Defending him against the charges was never going to be the job of a Californian lawyer.

Some vendors weren't so great on the not keeping customer details thing.  Also, there are some pretty weak PGP keys out there.  How SR was supposed to operate in theory was considerably modified by the human factor.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: