Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:28:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone is saying BTC ganna go up, but  (Read 3099 times)
fattypig (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 12:23:19 PM

Most of the people in the forum including me is quite optimistic about Bitcoin.

But after so many weeks why didn't it go up but difficulty is shooting up?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:29:12 PM

looks like some people got used to constant growth in the first half of the year. But to me stable price is good for bitcoin and can bring more people who would like to invest in it or create a business. Which in the long term will make price higher too.

Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:45:40 PM

Don't forget there is a constant supply of new coins, especially with the network power skyrocketing.
So at the moment every day 4-5k new coins are flooding in, if the price stays the same the market cap is still rising.
The big supply of new coins will vanish soon enough ^^
First drop once the difficulty doesn't increase like crazy anymore, second one when the reward halves again (about 2.5-3 years from now)
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:39:01 PM

Don't forget there is a constant supply of new coins, especially with the network power skyrocketing.
So at the moment every day 4-5k new coins are flooding in, if the price stays the same the market cap is still rising.
First drop once the difficulty doesn't increase like crazy anymore, second one when the reward halves again (about 2.5-3 years from now)

Don't forget that the crazy difficulty increases actually brings about the halving sooner. Super-fast difficulty increase has an effect similar to shortselling. In the short-term it may increase the supply, but it can cause an even greater supply squeeze in the future.

Birdy

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:52:14 PM

Don't forget that the crazy difficulty increases actually brings about the halving sooner. Super-fast difficulty increase has an effect similar to shortselling. In the short-term it may increase the supply, but it can cause an even greater supply squeeze in the future.

Exactly what I'm saying :3
That's why I wrote 2.5-3 years ^^

viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

because most of us are speculators, but not investors, so the price go up and down frequently, right?

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 01:41:28 AM

When i see the bitcoin price to be so stable i cant help but worry that something fishy is going on...

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 01:58:51 AM

When i see the bitcoin price to be so stable i cant help but worry that something fishy is going on...

Nothing fishy.  Big players are getting a feel for the market before they decide which way it will go.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
fattypig (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 02:09:53 AM

Forget about the halving, looks like I have to keep 3 years to really see a big increment. hm...

BitCoiner2012

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 02:25:08 AM

Forget about the halving, looks like I have to keep 3 years to really see a big increment. hm...

I think you'll see a lot of momentum long before the next halving..

BTC Long.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 07:53:14 AM

Don't forget that the crazy difficulty increases actually brings about the halving sooner.
It doesn't work that way. The number of new Bitcoins generated each day is roughly constant at 3600 until the reward drops by 50% in December 2016, 2020, 2024, etc.

All Bitcoin miners are thus in competition for a fixed resource.
Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:35:57 AM

Don't forget that the crazy difficulty increases actually brings about the halving sooner.
It doesn't work that way. The number of new Bitcoins generated each day is roughly constant at 3600 until the reward drops by 50% in December 2016, 2020, 2024, etc.

False, it does work that way. Atm nearly 5k coins are generated daily, because blocks are found way faster than they are supposed to be found.
Difficulty only adjusts after a certain amounts of blocks.
The reward halving will be earlier than december 2016, you will see.
oneidentity

Activity: 644

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:46:59 AM

False, it does work that way. Atm nearly 5k coins are generated daily, because blocks are found way faster than they are supposed to be found.
Difficulty only adjusts after a certain amounts of blocks.
The reward halving will be earlier than december 2016, you will see.

Interesting..
Sorry for being NOOB, but why will BTC be half in 3 years time?Huh
Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:52:05 AM

Interesting..
Sorry for being NOOB, but why will BTC be half in 3 years time?Huh

At the moment there is a additional reward for mining (using computing power to confirm transactions) for two reasons:
- to have a way to bring Bitcoins in circulation
- to increase the motivation to do mining (later on it will be financed by the transaction fees)

As the currency is supposed to have a limited supply this cannot go on forever.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:56:42 AM

The way it used to work, difficulty (rather, hashrate) was generally determined by the price of coins. This is no longer true, because all of the powerful ASICs can only be obtained through preorders (or buying second-hand), so now you get to speculate a lot more. In the GPU days, when price was down and difficulty up, you just shut the GPUs down until the situation improved. Now, when that situation occurs, it's still profitable to run ASICs - just not as much, and it makes it that much more likely you won't see a RoI. For now, ASIC costs are almost entirely upfront (hardware), instead of recurring electricity costs. ASIC manufacturers are still charging markups in the (tens of?) thousands of percent, so they can just mark down their hardware a bit and the preorder volume will stay strong. Basically - no matter what happens, all those huge unbelievable numbers you see for 2014 difficulty projections are going to come true, because BTC price isn't a factor when ASIC manufacturers can just sell cheaper.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 03:25:50 PM

The way it used to work, difficulty (rather, hashrate) was generally determined by the price of coins. This is no longer true, because all of the powerful ASICs can only be obtained through preorders (or buying second-hand), so now you get to speculate a lot more. In the GPU days, when price was down and difficulty up, you just shut the GPUs down until the situation improved. Now, when that situation occurs, it's still profitable to run ASICs - just not as much, and it makes it that much more likely you won't see a RoI. For now, ASIC costs are almost entirely upfront (hardware), instead of recurring electricity costs. ASIC manufacturers are still charging markups in the (tens of?) thousands of percent, so they can just mark down their hardware a bit and the preorder volume will stay strong. Basically - no matter what happens, all those huge unbelievable numbers you see for 2014 difficulty projections are going to come true, because BTC price isn't a factor when ASIC manufacturers can just sell cheaper.

To be fair, the markup is meant to makeup up for the insane development costs associated with producing chips like that. I agree that they're likely to lower their prices, though, since we're already down to like 28nm. There's not much smaller we can go, so they won't have to pay any more development costs.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 03:28:40 PM

Compare this years growth in bitcoin price to the holdings in your 401K. Bitcoin is exploding far beyond the scale of other investments.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:04:34 PM

It is currently rising at a speed of almost 1% per day, that is already insane Wink

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:13:08 PM

Difficulty shooting up is the elastic in the catapult stretching.

it's going to snap, or to d' moon

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 04:56:55 AM

People still think difficulty & mining stuff actually has any substantial affect on the price..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: