Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:29:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XFX Radeon RX470 4GB for $280  (Read 348 times)
thowell76 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 04:19:18 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2018, 05:24:10 PM by thowell76

A guy that lives close has 2 RX 470s and he is willing to sell each one for $280.   Is this a good deal or not?   I was thinking that if I can bios mod these with the 570 bios, i could get similar performance to an RX 570 which I currently have one of.  

Can these run a RX 570 bios?  I have read a few places that RX400 series can be flashed to the RX500 series.  I am sure there are cases where you can and cannot but I have not see those results.   ROI is not real issue, because I plan to build two nice computers if this thing goes south.  

Also, I saw you can preorder two 1080s for $549, but I am not sure if i can convince the wife I NEED it. lol
So would going with the 1080 be a better choice? So is 2 470 better than one 1080.   I think I know the answer but I want to hear from the PROs.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 04:03:00 AM

A guy that lives close has 2 RX 470s and he is willing to sell each one for $280.   Is this a good deal or not?

In my areas, those price is under regular second-hand prices.

Can these run a RX 570 bios?  

Mod those card with those original bios as a source. Even with the same series and brand, it's not recommended for safety. Just use original bios as a source.

Also, I saw you can preorder two 1080s for $549, but I am not sure if i can convince the wife I NEED it. lol
So would going with the 1080 be a better choice? So is 2 470 better than one 1080.   I think I know the answer but I want to hear from the PROs.  

If you like to explore, go for RX series. Else...1080 seems okay.
texasman86

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:06:47 AM

In my opinion the RX series is better than the nvidea cards all day for ROI. Others may disagree, and they are probably mining obscure shit.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:13:47 AM

I a bit doubtful for a GPU secondhand, but if saw a priced and quantity sure is cheaper if compared 1080 and the higher hashrate. I assume those RX series works fine without has a problem.

m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:34:32 AM

The 2 rx470s are not bad, they can be bios modded to run at around 27-28 MH (mining ethereum).

The only thing you need to worry about is the CONDITION of the GPUs. Check them out, ask for pictures, ask if they were used in mining, since when?
If you feel like the GPUs are in good shape then it should be a go. Better choice than rx 570s that are so OP atm.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:50:09 AM

The only thing you need to worry about is the CONDITION of the GPUs. Check them out, ask for pictures, ask if they were used in mining, since when?
If you feel like the GPUs are in good shape then it should be a go...

It seems the seller is OP's neighbors, lol. Good Idea!

@OP
Better to do a stress test with those cards, before you pay him, just to make sure that those cards are still worthless. You can use FurMark for a stress test. Since the seller lives near you, it will more easily. You can do a stress test in the seller place or yours.
thowell76 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:34:31 PM

If you like to explore, go for RX series. Else...1080 seems okay.

I do like the RX series.  I picked up my first GPU and it was an RX for $320.  It was never used for mining and the guy was military and didn’t want to pick up and move his rig each time.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:49:45 PM

In my opinion the RX series is better than the nvidea cards all day for ROI. Others may disagree, and they are probably mining obscure shit.

You should maybe not share that opinion since it is incorrect. If you are one of those people that thing ETH is the only coin to mine, sure you might be right, that is a very shortsighted way to look at the ecosystem.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:46:10 PM

I have RX470 4GB mining on the Ethash algorithm has a hashrate 28 MH/s. those 2xGPUs cheap but enough to compete with 570 and 1080, but I'm not talking those GPUs is bad.

warrior333

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:43:29 PM

It's a good price. I don't believe you'll find it cheaper. But you need to be careful. It seems to me that these GPU for several years worked on the rig. The life of the GPU in the mode of mining for about 2 years. Perhaps these GPU have exhausted its resource. For this reason, their price is so low. Check the date of purchase. Lack of evidence will be a signal to you.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:46:57 PM

There's occasionally deals for 580s around the same price , but if you don't want to go through the hassle of trying to snipe one the pricing is pretty good considering recent pricing of all RX series cards. I'd personally go for it.
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 05:13:24 PM

Thats really cheap. Here guys are selling 4gb cards for 380-450$. Will see for how long Wink

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:41:30 AM

I do like the RX series.  I picked up my first GPU and it was an RX for $320.  It was never used for mining and the guy was military and didn’t want to pick up and move his rig each time.

AMD, especially Polaris family more tweaker-friendly. If you believe in him, just pay him and start mining with those cards. Don't waste your time. You get a low price. I can say for sure, you will not get at that price, in another place, ATM.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:54:15 AM

Even for a brand new card I think that price will be very high in a few weeks time. Wait a bit and see if market turns around and if the Ethereum ASIC rumors are true.

You may point some of this information out to him and see if he would consider selling closer to $200 since it is used, but even then if the market continues to deteriorate while the difficulty continues to climb you will never pay off that card. Don't think you will be safe mining another coin besides Ethereum either as if a Ethash ASIC does indeed hit, all the GPU power will saturate all the other mine-able coins making profits non-existent for all but those who have sub 3 cent electricity.
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:18:56 AM

Even for a brand new card I think that price will be very high in a few weeks time. Wait a bit and see if market turns around and if the Ethereum ASIC rumors are true.....

Finally, we would mine another coin when Ethereum was going to POS (don't know when, can be this year, next year, who knows). Personally, most of my rig didn't mine major coin such as ETH.

What coin would be mined by those Ethash ASIC when ETH is going to POS? ETC, Music Coin? ATM, Ethash still ASIC resistance till ASIC miner for Ethash really exist. And I believe, GPUs price wouldn't be so easy to drop, at least in the next few months.
Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:19:47 AM

A guy that lives close has 2 RX 470s and he is willing to sell each one for $280.   Is this a good deal or not?   I was thinking that if I can bios mod these with the 570 bios, i could get similar performance to an RX 570 which I currently have one of.  

$280 is an OK price for used, but how long has your friend mined with them?

My 470's are modded and get about 10% less than my 1 570.

I have 1 1080 ti doing about $2.00/day, and 5 470's that do about $8/day.  The 470's cost $289 new and the 1080ti was $800 or so.  Too late for me, but you can do the math.

remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:24:29 AM

Id offer $200 each and see if he really needs the $$.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:34:45 AM

Even for a brand new card I think that price will be very high in a few weeks time. Wait a bit and see if market turns around and if the Ethereum ASIC rumors are true.....

Finally, we would mine another coin when Ethereum was going to POS (don't know when, can be this year, next year, who knows). Personally, most of my rig didn't mine major coin such as ETH.

What coin would be mined by those Ethash ASIC when ETH is going to POS? ETC, Music Coin? ATM, Ethash still ASIC resistance till ASIC miner for Ethash really exist. And I believe, GPUs price wouldn't be so easy to drop, at least in the next few months.

Well no matter what the means, ASIC, POS, high difficulty, all that GPU hashrate will be looking for a new home, and if you think all the non Ethash coins will be able to adsorb it and continue to make profit, well I have a bridge I would like you to look at.

You are correct in assuming that the GPU prices will not instantly drop, as many people will continue to hold out hope and some will even mine at a loss for awhile expecting the market to miraculously correct, but given enough time even the hard core holdouts begin to give up. The more recent entrants to mining will be the first to go as they have the most to lose and are looking at the longest payback period.

Those with paid for gear can hold out longer only concerned with their electrical costs staying below their mining income, but slowly the people with higher electricity prices will also start to leave. In the end it will only be the large centralized miners with sub 3 cent power who are left, like always. Sure, there may be a few hobby miner holdouts, but by that time even with a rig like the OP has, it will be lucky to mine a couple of ETH in a year, eventually getting to the futile point as trying to GPU mine Bitcoin right now.
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 04:55:43 AM

Id offer $200 each and see if he really needs the $$.

yeah, I'm agree here, the profits now are very slim for all coins
and buying gpu card at this price ( used) is already not very wise
I'm buying some rx 480/580 around @ $150  - they are mining some cryptonight coins
I'm just saying that this is my target price, so if a man wants to sell - he sells, if not, I'm ok with that.. but I'm not gonna pay more, cause ROI is falling
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 05:08:52 AM

Well no matter what the means, ASIC, POS, high difficulty, all that GPU hashrate will be looking for a new home, and if you think all the non Ethash coins will be able to adsorb it and continue to make profit, well I have a bridge I would like you to look at....

Even in longest period, remember, we still have an asset.

Doing mining at the major coins are the best option related to profit is an imprecise view. I can't deny that a newcomer would more interest to major coins, but I believe they would get experience over time. That's why this forum existed.

Absolutely agree, to give OPs some view of risk. But providing balanced opinions also would be a reference for OPs to decide. That's how the forum works.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: