Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:51:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Regret Thread  (Read 2023 times)
coynzer (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:57:17 PM

I read about Bitcoins somewhere on the Internet back when 1 BTC was $1.50. I started mining it, mostly out of pure technical curiosity, I just wanted to see it in action. After getting involved and having my wallet filled up a bit I started to think whether this could be an asset for the future and I should buy some, as mining with my CPU already wasn't really worthwhile anymore at that time. Talked it through with my girl, but our financial situation wasn't very good at that time and the maximum 1500$ we could have spent on it didn't seem to be much compared to what I knew about traditional investments. So we decided not to.

I stopped mining too and even completely forgot about BTC when I reinstalled my computer...without making a backup of my wallet.

Bitcoin got my attention again when the bubble started to grow this year and it was at $200. I remembered by decision about not buying the ~1000 BTC which would have been worth $200,000 (and still $140,000 today).

So what's your story for the Regret Thread? Maybe you have told it elsewhere already but please put it here, where it really belongs to  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:11:28 PM

I think everyone here regret to not have bought more bitcoin in the past  Cheesy

coynzer (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:26:35 PM

Sure, but it's a whole different story if you have talked it through with someone and made an active (and wrong) decision about it at a time where it would have really been worth to buy them. Compared to people who just learned about it too late and now regret not to have heard about it earlier.
crazynoggin

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:20:36 PM

I heard about Silkroad about the summer of 2011 and I was curious about it. Looked into how it worked and was just too busy and confused at the time to care about trying to obtain Bitcoins. To think I could have made a ton of money if I saw this jump in price coming. That is my regret story.

Use my referral link if you want: https://primedice.com/?ref=Crazynoggin
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 07:24:24 PM

Ok people, don't make the same mistake again!

Invest money you don't need and you can afford to lose in bitcoins and hope in future quotations keep going up.
briehost

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 07:39:54 PM

I read about Bitcoins somewhere on the Internet back when 1 BTC was $1.50. I started mining it, mostly out of pure technical curiosity, I just wanted to see it in action. After getting involved and having my wallet filled up a bit I started to think whether this could be an asset for the future and I should buy some, as mining with my CPU already wasn't really worthwhile anymore at that time. Talked it through with my girl, but our financial situation wasn't very good at that time and the maximum 1500$ we could have spent on it didn't seem to be much compared to what I knew about traditional investments. So we decided not to.

I stopped mining too and even completely forgot about BTC when I reinstalled my computer...without making a backup of my wallet.

Bitcoin got my attention again when the bubble started to grow this year and it was at $200. I remembered by decision about not buying the ~1000 BTC which would have been worth $200,000 (and still $140,000 today).

So what's your story for the Regret Thread? Maybe you have told it elsewhere already but please put it here, where it really belongs to  Wink

Probably not a popular sentiment on this forum, but Litecoin is trading at a comparable rate Wink

To brie or not to brie...
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 07:44:50 PM

I heard about BitCoin 2-3 years ago from a friend of mine and downloaded the BitCoin-Qt client (Electrum didn't exist back then). Downloading the BlockChain took far too long and I didn't really see the potential, so I simply quit. Stupidest mistake I have ever made.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
CaptainAK

Activity: 142

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 08:15:42 PM

My regret was not quite as painful as yours, but was almost identical.  Heard about mining, mined 3 blocks @ 50BTC each, heard about 10,000BTC pizzas, gave up mining, reformatted computer without backing up wallet. Fast forward 3 years and started kicking myself.
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 08:22:04 PM

I missed the early CPU mining days, but I was interested in PeerCoin (PPC) when it was announced. Mining it was too slow, so I spent 10 BTC (about $100) and bought 100,000 PPC. I got tired of waiting for proof-of-stake blocks and sold most of them for 16 BTC a month and a half later. At the time I was happy to have turned a quick 50% profit. Now I wish I had held on to them a bit longer! They would be worth 300 BTC ($37,500) today.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

That's like saying you regret that you didn't buy apple, microsoft, google, facebook, ETC. shares back when they were $1.  It was your own decision, if you regret it, you'll lead a boring life.  Take action in the future, consider your past, but no need to cry over it.  I saw bitcoins when they were over $10, I was going to buy it, instead I made the decision to invest $2500 in PTC sites, a horrible decision.
Ardenyham
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:16:16 PM

That's like saying you regret that you didn't buy apple, microsoft, google, facebook, ETC. shares back when they were $1. 

Yes these were the successfull ones, but you could buy some other starting internet company shares and loose. Its always risky
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 02:48:58 AM

Someone at work mentioned bitcoins to me not quite two years ago. He didn't have a lot of info, and couldn't explain it to me in a way that made sense and the conversation ended in less than five minutes. And then about fifteen months later someone else asked me what I knew and I knew nothing and started looking it up. And wishing I'd paid more attention back then. Oh well, still having fun messing with the hardware side of it.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 11:57:51 AM

My story was almost same like everybody, didn't buy when it is about 1$ each and didn't really care about it until it hits like 200$ thats when it started to get my attention.

clock27

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:59:08 AM

i also with i had started in 2010 when i first found out about BTC Sad

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:21:29 PM

Buying Labcoin shares...

lambdaE

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

What about satoshi dice shares. Didnt heard about satoshi dice months  Smiley
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:23:26 PM

Not investing in Bitcoin sooner.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:26:38 PM

Makes one wonder how much btc is lost forever and what the true cap is because its not 21 million.

Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:29:27 PM

Makes one wonder how much btc is lost forever and what the true cap is because its not 21 million.

What do you mean not 21 million?

Currently held as collateral by monbux
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:30:36 PM

I wish I started to get into bitcoin a few years ago.  Sad

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: