Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:34:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: how to get BTC out of a Bitstamp account without verifying  (Read 14988 times)
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:09:12 PM

The Bitstamp policy change was announced in a fairly low-key manner. They posted on their thread here in bitcointalk, in a thread on reddit, and in the "news" section on their site. But there was no mass e-mail and no multi-page/site-wide pop-up notice that a majority of users would see. A sly move on their part. That their volume is over-taking MtGox just goes to show where the industry is heading in terms of compliance, or depending on how you look at it, the lack of true options available for real-money bitcoin exchanges (the new dwolla policy only emphasizes that).

Exchanges have always been the sore point in the bitcoin ecosystem, and anything which provides incentives for new ones or helps existing ones work around the legacy banking system will be a great boon for bitcoin. I'm talking about ripple of course.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
clock27

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:19:53 PM

Im glad i don't use bitstamp

posormo

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:41:28 PM

This is unbelievable.  With no warning (unless you're "facebook friends" with them) Bitstamp is refusing to let customers withdraw BTC they've deposited.  They're even refusing requests to close accounts.

Bitstamp never emailed me about this policy (even though they've sent me dozens of emails in the past to confirm trades/withdrawals).

Now they've basically stolen my money and won't give it back unless I send enough high-resolution documentation to steal my identity to some dude in Slovenia.

I've offered to let them wire the funds to my US-based bank, which has full AML documentation for me on file and who will confirm that I am the signatory for the account.

I want to stop using bitstamp and get my coins back.  They're refusing to close my account.  Scam scam scam.

Apparently they've stolen from a whole lot of people now:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=307862.msg3305812#msg3305812
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=307862.msg3313417#msg3313417
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=306458.msg3307139#msg3307139
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=306458.msg3307596#msg3307596
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=306458.msg3307765#msg3307765

Its not their fault you don't keep up with announcements.   SOL eh.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 01:09:16 PM

or write it off…

In case you're having trouble reading between the lines, that's exactly what I've done.

it is not the first time that BTC customers are asked for "doxx or go home" nor will it be the last.

The point of this thread is to make sure their reputation takes the necessary hit.  If they had pulled nonsense like this two years ago, I would have been less surprised.  Honestly the fact that they're handling this so poorly now -- when they are a serious contender for top bitcoin exchange due to extended goxfail -- is really surprising.

"Only" comes from directly out of my ass.

Oh good, that's what I thought.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 01:27:28 PM

They even specifically write in their ToS that they consider e-mails as an insecure medium (which is true).

If this is the reason they don't want to email this rather important policy announcement, then maybe they should not have put it on bitcointalk, twitter, facebook, google+ etc, etc.

I believe information posted on those mediums can be also considered insecure.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 01:29:59 PM

They even specifically write in their ToS that they consider e-mails as an insecure medium

Oh right, so that's why they send all of my deposit/withdraw notifications via email.

*facepalm*

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 01:31:12 PM

I call absolute bullshit on that.  Whatever "legal issues" didn't prevent this eight days ago don't prevent it today.  No new AML laws were passed in Slovenia this week.  Besides, my offer to have my own bank provide AML cover eliminates this concern yet they still won't do it, so something more is at play here.
How this usually works is like this: we give you a date, if you don't comply with the rules until then you will go to jail. Bitstamp is only covering their ass, they don't care about your documents.

Not notifying people through e-mail might not be the best thing, but their tos doesn't state they would, so they did absolutely nothing wrong.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:09:23 PM

Now they've basically stolen my money and won't give it back unless I send enough high-resolution documentation to steal my identity to some dude in Slovenia.

Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris...

We call it Voight-KampffGoxxed for short.

Now you got Stamped! (in the face)
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:44:46 PM

Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris...

"We call it Voight-Kampff for short"  Cool

OBJECT NOT FOUND
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 11:26:08 PM

Deactivated my account last night. Glad the only thing I ever did with Bitstamp before that was sign up.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
PrintMule

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:37:08 PM

I have withdrawn my recent trade there via SEPA transfer, it arrived in a day or two, was not even checking.

Submitting ID was a pain in the ass (and last time i've withdrawn it wasn't there), but otherwise nothing like OP is going on about.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
kakobrekla

Activity: 714

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:21:06 AM

Scam scam scam.

Well, I did mention that before.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 12:53:12 AM

How this usually works is like this: we give you a date, if you don't comply with the rules

Yes, and the rules are satisfied by:

my offer to have my own bank provide AML cover

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

Exchanges have always been the sore point in the bitcoin ecosystem, and anything which provides incentives for new ones or helps existing ones work around the legacy banking system will be a great boon for bitcoin. I'm talking about ripple of course.
Interesting but what makes you think that a company using Ripple would be exempt from AML/KYC requirements ?

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:07:04 AM

Interesting but what makes you think that a company using Ripple would be exempt from AML/KYC requirements ?
Not exempt, but it might be much closer than a Slovenian company registered in the UK with an Italian bank... or a japanese company founded by US-citizens with polish/french/no bank. Ideally your gateway is a bank or business in your jurisdiction, potentially even with a branch in your city.

OP is comfortable with giving his ID to a local bank who reports to who-knows-whom, while he is not comfortable to send it to the EU with much stricter privacy laws, because it is out of his jurisdiction. Using ZipZap for example, he would be easily able to deposit and trade USD on his "home turf".

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:28:16 AM

How this usually works is like this: we give you a date, if you don't comply with the rules

Yes, and the rules are satisfied by:

my offer to have my own bank provide AML cover

Not really. The rules are get scans of id documents, not get other bank to cover for you. It is not up to them to decide what is a satisfactory way of id-ing a person. Put yourself in their shoes, would you really risk it? I don't think you would. When your boss tells you to do something do you also say "I didn't follow your orders, but this is equally as good!"?
PrintMule

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:33:48 PM

bottomline - this thread is FUD

I agree only on one point - that BTC should be available to move without account confirmation, for those who wanted to withdraw theirs after new regulations. If you want to trade or withdraw fiat - comply with rules.

████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:46:58 PM

I agree that the announcement was low key and there is no reason they could not have emailed their account holders.  As soon as I heard (on reddit I think) I could not believe it would apply to BTC and once I realized it was, I bailed.  Have they offered any reason for why this had to apply to BTC as well as fiat?  Damn shame.

Can you get your BTC out by trading them for XRP?
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:18:41 AM

Have they offered any reason for why this had to apply to BTC as well as fiat?  Damn shame.
They cant, not even in fascist America BTCs are regulated to comply with AML/KYC.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 02:14:44 AM

Got my BTC; see update to first post.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: