Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:24:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: invest in bitcoins?  (Read 1590 times)
cactus-pits (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:51:01 PM

how about just investing in bitcoins and sitting on them...I know I'm a new b but I've been learning about this for the last month or so...I'm thinking of just taking all my spare money and buying every chance I get...any input is appreciated.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:54:42 PM

how about just investing in bitcoins and sitting on them...I know I'm a new b but I've been learning about this for the last month or so...I'm thinking of just taking all my spare money and buying every chance I get...any input is appreciated.

That's what already some people including me do ^^
Well, not all my spare money though.
Make sure you know enough about how to not lose your coins when you put bigger amounts in it.
cactus-pits (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:58:09 PM

thanks guys..Birdy, could you explain a tad but about that? or point me in a direction..?
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:58:44 PM

Welcome, you should trade with Bitcoin with other AlterCoin. On mcxNOW, it is IMHO the best exchange for trading. You even get interest on your coins.

Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:07:17 PM

thanks guys..Birdy, could you explain a tad but about that? or point me in a direction..?

Sure,
there are two things that make people lose their Btc often:
- loss of the private keys or password to a encrypted wallet / writing down the wrong password
To avoid those, you should have multiple backups (remember the private key is the key to your coins, so any backup will give access to the coins)

- theft most likely due to a trojan/keylogger on your pc or the use of an unsecure online platform

for smaller amounts or day.to.day use I would recommend the online-wallets blockchain.info or inputs.io
for bigger amounts I would recommend using either cold wallets or a paper wallets

Paper wallets are nothing more than the private key to an address written down or printed out on a piece of paper
Best is you don't use a paper wallet address twice

Cold wallets are the private keys (or collection of private keys from local clients like the wallet.dat from bitcoin-qt) saved on offline equipment
This may be an usb stick, a laptop or sd card (or whatever)
Very interesting is the possibility of the Armory Oflline Client that allows you to spend Bitcoin from an offline Pc/laptop

cactus-pits (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:12:32 PM

wow..I have so much to learn and understand...
Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:19:22 PM

wow..I have so much to learn and understand...
yes indeed, but it's worth it ^^

Also avoid Altcoins, Bitcoin Mining equipment and Bitcoin securities (unless you really know what you are doing) , most of them are more of a gambling, short term profits, unprofitable or just plain scams.

mekanical

Activity: 164
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:27:08 PM

Bitcoin is relatively volatile and risky in terms of investments.  If you want to used bitcoins as an investment i would suggest buying and holding them as an investment at just-dice (or somewhere similar) where you would earn some interest.  Though be very careful about where you hold your bitcoins if they are not just sitting in your wallet (and sometimes if they are......), get an understanding of the terms and conditions and know that the government has the power to tear down web domains and freeze company bank accounts in the name of justice if it deems something to be non-compliant.  I would be especially wary of bitcoin securities any complex investment schemes.  If you want a safer investment, try physical silver bullion, price is rather cheap right now.
Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:34:50 PM

Bitcoin is relatively volatile and risky in terms of investments.  If you want to used bitcoins as an investment i would suggest buying and holding them as an investment at just-dice (or somewhere similar) where you would earn some interest.  Though be very careful about where you hold your bitcoins if they are not just sitting in your wallet (and sometimes if they are......), get an understanding of the terms and conditions and know that the government has the power to tear down web domains and freeze company bank accounts in the name of justice if it deems something to be non-compliant.  I would be especially wary of bitcoin securities any complex investment schemes.  If you want a safer investment, try physical silver bullion, price is rather cheap right now.

Holding them on just-dice is like gambling yourself for a long time with the 1% house edge on your side.
It's slightly more likely that you make a small profit, but you might also lose some.

Volatility doesn't matter that much if you hold the coins for a long time and are not in a hurry to sell.
Then you can sell at a time when they are up ^^
majorX

Activity: 267

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:46:22 PM

Holding them on just-dice is like gambling yourself for a long time with the 1% house edge on your side.

There is also possibility someone will steal site BTC, or the owner  will steal it. Too risky in my opinion
mekanical

Activity: 164
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:50:13 PM

It's slightly more likely that you make a small profit, but you might also lose some.

Volatility doesn't matter that much if you hold the coins for a long time and are not in a hurry to sell.
Then you can sell at a time when they are up ^^

True volatility is quite meaningless over the long term. 

I would add that the chances of losing $ on just-dice over a time period longer than a month are very slim to none.  1% is a small cut, but given the betting volume this becomes a relatively good investment.  You can estimate your profit as such:  Net Profit = (total amount bet)*0.01*0.9 * ((Your investment)/(Total Invested at site)).  This equation becomes more accurate with time, and I imagine it would be pretty dead on over the course of a year.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:55:25 PM

Keep an eye on upcoming hardware wallets like Trezor https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122438.0
This might be the best way to store securely your bitcoin.

Here an advice: start with a small amount of bitcoin and play with it as much as you can transferring them and storing them in different ways. Making errors with small amounts is less frustrating if you ever lose them of get them stolen.

Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 08:55:55 PM

There is also possibility someone will steal site BTC, or the owner  will steal it. Too risky in my opinion

Yes, I don't think it's a great investment (not the worst one though).
The owner is quite trusworthy, but this is like medium-low risk (some from 3rd party, some from house loss die to the low house edge) and low reward.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:08:26 PM

What about investing in Bitcoin and not sitting on them and actually use them?
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 09:08:40 PM

Invest in some production. Economy in your country is in deep shit no matter what country are you from. Directing investments into speculations instead of production sector is what hurts it.

MoneyGod

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:53:10 PM

you should trade with Bitcoin  On mcxNOW, it is IMHO the best exchange for trading.

immortal4now

Activity: 612
Merit: 102

Chromia - Relational Blockchain

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:01:07 PM

Yes, part of your Bitcoins can be used for spending. It helps getting value of your saved Bitcoins

♠️ Facebook: http://facebook.com/ChromiaStudios                 ♥️ Webpage: http://chromiastudios.com
♦️ LinkedIn:  http://linkedin.com/company/chromiastudios      ♣️ Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/ChromiaStudios                     
♥️ Twitter:    https://twitter.com/teamchromia                        ♦️  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChromaWay
************************************************************************************************
Birdy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:03:39 PM

What investments are you suggesting?
There are many traps in investing Bitcoins right now.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 10:06:22 PM

Yes, part of your Bitcoins can be used for spending. It helps getting value of your saved Bitcoins

Keeping Bitcoin in circulation also benefits people who are "Sitting" on their Bitcoin. But, having a savings cold wallet and a spending wallet is also good.
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 02:27:35 AM

Yes, thats the way. The price going to sky rocket soon.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: