Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:06:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to save all windows and open applications before reboot in Linux  (Read 119 times)
BTC Turkiye (OP)

Activity: 472
Merit: 254

Anlik Coin Fiyatlari BTCkur.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2018, 03:57:08 AM

How to save all windows (locations, sizes) and open applications in all workspaces before a reboot in Linux?

I have bunch of terminals, browsers and windows open in multiple workspaces. But everytime when I have to reboot the computer I have to start again to setup them all up again

So I need a solution to automatically save all window sizes and locations, plus the open applications (Ie. firefox) and automatically go back to how it was before the reboot.

Farklı Borsaların Anlık Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum ve Bitcoin Cash Kurunu Takip Edebilirsiniz.
BTCkur.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2018, 04:55:18 AM

Sounds like you're talking about hibernation. It's not quite a full reboot, but basically during hibernation the computer saves everything in memory to the hard disk, then shuts down. When it powers back on, it loads the saved data back into memory and the computer is just like it was before hibernation.
BTC Turkiye (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2018, 05:07:46 AM

Sounds like you're talking about hibernation. It's not quite a full reboot, but basically during hibernation the computer saves everything in memory to the hard disk, then shuts down. When it powers back on, it loads the saved data back into memory and the computer is just like it was before hibernation.

Will that count as a reboot to finish up the installations of some softwares?

I just want the same windows to be in the same exact spots in same exact workspaces when I reboot. The applications doesn`t even matter if they run or not but like firefox will be open on the same spot next to the notepad on the corner of the pages etc.

Farklı Borsaların Anlık Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum ve Bitcoin Cash Kurunu Takip Edebilirsiniz.
BTCkur.com
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 05:38:24 AM

You can't save the positions and everything, but you could make some things to open when you restart.
Go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications, click the Options tab, and check the checkbox reading "Automatically remember running applications when logng out". You can also set the startup programs manually on the "Startup Programs" tab.
BTC Turkiye (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2018, 06:27:51 AM

You can't save the positions and everything, but you could make some things to open when you restart.
Go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications, click the Options tab, and check the checkbox reading "Automatically remember running applications when logng out". You can also set the startup programs manually on the "Startup Programs" tab.

I think you just googled it which I did before I write here also. This doesnt work for Debian. I don`t see any preference page or the options you said above.

So I found this https://github.com/johannesjo/linux-window-session-manager which seems pretty good and would probably do what I need. But it keeps giving errors and doesn`t restore everything correctly.

BTCkur.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: