Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:11:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin(DVC) Source Code Updated to Bitcoin 0.8.x  (Read 5322 times)
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:28:36 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 12:20:50 AM by sidhujag

DeVCoin is an ethically inspired project based on the Bitcoin cryptocurrency and was created to help fund open source projects created by writers, artists, and software developers.

Participants in the DeVCoin economy earn DeVCoins in proportion to their project development. Writers earn devcoins by writing, developers earn bitcoins by developing, Marketers earn devcoins by marketing, and Administrators earn devcoins by applying their time and effort to help organize the DevCoin project.

Hopefully DeVCoin will eventually fund all types of developers including hardware developers, graphic artists, musicians, and filmmakers.

Devcoin is merge mined with Bitcoin and it is based off of an old version of BTC source (0.3) which had many issues that were not resolved after the fork was done to create Devcoin(DVC).

The need is for Devcoin (similar to I0Coin) to be updated to the latest version of bitcoin source(0.8.5) which supports merged mining. I know I0Coin was updated recently and is working so we need the same work done for DVC and hopefully its not too bad because it was already done with another coin!
link(i0coin updates): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=124316.0

There is urgency in completing however because MCXNOW.COM developer RealSolid has said that it will be delisted because of multi-threading and other issues which cause devcoind to crash and cause maintenance nightmares.

The email from RealSolid:
"Sorry the node for devcoin is too unreliable (crashes fairly often, has multithreading bugs). It doesn't meet my criteria for a stable enough chain."

I will work out a plan with RealSolid to try to keep the coin as it is a top notch exchange growing exponentially. I truly believe this exchange will help DVC see the light and the project to finally rise off of its feet.

I will contact RS as soon as we find a developer.

Part of the job is to create the official binary releases (Windows/Mac/Linux) based on the new source code update.

RS has not agreed to keep it on the exchange but we are going ahead with the bounty for the fixes anyway. It is in the hopes that he will agree, and I will work with him on that part. I will keep this thread updated with new developments in this regard.

Bounty Offered:
3-shares
sidhujag 1 million DVC
weisoq 1 million DVC PAID
matt608 1 million DVC
shakezula 1 million DVC
notabot 1 million DVC

Edit:

cryptojournal 1 million DVC
FinShaggy    500,000 DVC
eeh 500,000 DVC
best_btc 1 million dvc

Edit:

Done! I uploaded the source to github: https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin

Windows 32-bit QT and Daemon for testing: https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin/tree/master/dist

Note that to access files over 10 MB you have to check out the repository. So I suggest you download the github application and checkout the repository to get access to the QT installer (or the java installer see below)

Edit: Added a java cross platform installer (works on windows/linux/osx).. I created placeholders for files for osx/linux 64/32bit and windows 64 bit for now but the installer will auto detect your OS and give you the option to install the right files. This should be the installer we distribute to the customer. Otherwise we have to create seperate installers for every OS. There is only 1 file here and it is built every time we update the source for every OS.

I think the original bounty for windows installer may need revision to use a cross platform installer like this, and the person taking care of the installation should probably be the same person building the code.

To Do:
1) Testing, merged-mining, sending/receiving (multiple and single address at a time), sanity UI testing
2) Create images to replace bitcoin/i0coin images. Done! V1.0.2 has these.

3) Make builds for:
   a) windows 64
   b) Linux 32 and 64
   c) FreeBSD 32 and 64
   d) Fedora 32 and 64
   e) Mac osx

4) For windows build, use the NSIS installer that comes with the src code, integrate with new devcoin installer graphics.

Jag

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptojournal

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:34:52 PM

Pledging 1 million DVC.

CJ
clock27

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:51:56 PM

I hope this gets fixed i had alot of fun with DVC Smiley good luck to everyone involved here

aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 10:15:32 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 09:34:15 PM by aa

sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:41:23 PM

...was created to help fund open source projects created by writers, artists, and software developers.

Where is the list of projects that have already been funded? Where can I apply for a grant?

That is out of the scope of this thread, please post this question to the main DVC thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.

The bounty system is described here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty.. you can apply to get your bounty added to that list if Devcoin isn't of sufficient market cap for your project.

The current bounties available can be found here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now, again you can apply to get yours on the list, just post about it on the main thread and an admin will help you out.

Thanks,
Jag

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:39:02 AM

Anyone else have any DVC to offer for the bounty?

best_btc

Activity: 78

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:48:27 AM

I am in with 1,000,000 DVC too.
who else? lets prove the doubters wrong about DVC!

XRP:  rNnou9B7snYUPPQdH9KP4D9JQ7EJXTKN4G
BTC:  1ELy69CQ8u77qYvjgfZBFxcyNNyrtcQFFR
I wrote already to BTC-e, Mtgox support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard:
 http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:33:49 PM

if anyone has a link to the original devcoin repo where the changes were first made i can try

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 03:47:03 PM

if anyone has a link to the original devcoin repo where the changes were first made i can try

Plz see https://gitorious.org/devcoin/devcoin/source/4e23c180945785c49bbab682b7f6c6e1eda29b05:

Probably the best way is to look at the diff between the original btc src and this devcoin src and apply the same patches to the I0coin latest code base. I0coin is the other one which was done and is merge mined so its more than a copy and paste. Also the reciever file reading is using libcurl so thats extra.. you must make sure libcurl is thread safe and ensure it works on 64 bit snd 32 bit systems...

Im not sure if we need 32 vs 64 bit releases as I dont know how big that change is for bitcoin src so that is out of scope im guessing.. Libcurl just needs to be tested and pick the most stable version.. maybe wrap it in a critical section or something if need be.

To summarize the workflow is:

1) diff of devcoim to bitcoin original (0.3 i
think.. you must confirm)
2) apply diff to I0coin
3) test and run unit tests
4) report the tests to us and make available new version running on a test net
5) integerate in public
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 06:34:53 PM

good luck! i have no dvc to offer unfortunately, but i wish you all the best of luck, as i very much would like to see devcoin, as an ethical crypto, succeed!!

matt608

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 03:50:29 PM

How is this going, is anyone working on it at the moment?
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:06:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Heres an update:

I have had a few responses of interested developers, including myself if no one decided to want to do it. The developer that updated I0Coin to its current state told me he would do it which is great because he was my first choice. I0Coin was updated to the latest code base and it will almost be an identical job to do devcoin. Only thing that would need to be added is the reciever stuff and then small details regarding the 1000x coin numbers over btc.

I will try to find as much material that would be helpful as possible for rsnel, I'm just waiting for him to confirm and then he can start. For example, Unthinkingbit created a nice writeup on the technical side of the work that was done to evolve btc to devcoin which is great. rsnel already can start from I0Coin and apply these changes and hes done. However, I'm sure there have been things added that are not talked about in that wiki: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin. So he will have to do the diff from old btc source to current devcoin to find out the exact changes and apply the relevant ones to I0Coin. It can get tricky but I think if anyone can do it in a timely manor he can.

On the other side, I haven't been able to get through to RS, I tried to ask him on chat no response and sent an email with no response yet. I will continue to try to get a hold of him and if rsnel agrees to start then I will have some new information that he might like to hear and change his mind about the delisting.

Thanks,
Jag
matt608

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:38:45 PM

Hi Guys,

Heres an update:

I have had a few responses of interested developers, including myself if no one decided to want to do it. The developer that updated I0Coin to its current state told me he would do it which is great because he was my first choice. I0Coin was updated to the latest code base and it will almost be an identical job to do devcoin. Only thing that would need to be added is the reciever stuff and then small details regarding the 1000x coin numbers over btc.

I will try to find as much material that would be helpful as possible for rsnel, I'm just waiting for him to confirm and then he can start. For example, Unthinkingbit created a nice writeup on the technical side of the work that was done to evolve btc to devcoin which is great. rsnel already can start from I0Coin and apply these changes and hes done. However, I'm sure there have been things added that are not talked about in that wiki: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin. So he will have to do the diff from old btc source to current devcoin to find out the exact changes and apply the relevant ones to I0Coin. It can get tricky but I think if anyone can do it in a timely manor he can.

On the other side, I haven't been able to get through to RS, I tried to ask him on chat no response and sent an email with no response yet. I will continue to try to get a hold of him and if rsnel agrees to start then I will have some new information that he might like to hear and change his mind about the delisting.

Thanks,
Jag

Great, thanks sidhujag! 
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:02:07 AM

Update..

Rsnel messaged me back and says he will do it but he is working on other projects for this week atleast. He may be available to start the work in a week or so. I will continue to bug him until he gives me definitive dates or does the code.

Jag
ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:12:19 AM

Hopefully this gets done soon.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:17:03 AM

Update..

Rsnel messaged me back and says he will do it but he is working on other projects for this week atleast. He may be available to start the work in a week or so. I will continue to bug him until he gives me definitive dates or does the code.

Jag

Good news, at least that's an approximate start date.  Smiley Thanks for the update, much appreciated.
Sustainable

Activity: 70

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 08:19:58 PM

Bumping this thread because I'm pretty sure alot of investors like me weren't aware of problems. Lets get this fixed.

Cloud Mining - Mine when your computer is not on. Mine if you don't have the appropriate hardware or operating system! Mine when you are asleep! ---> https://cex.io/r/1/Sustainable/0/
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 08:21:31 PM

Bumping this thread because I'm pretty sure alot of investors like me weren't aware of problems. Lets get this fixed.

RS hasn't really complained on mcx about it crashing since there were patches along the way that were made, but it is still better to have a fresh base for devcoin going forward. RSNEL is a busy guy but looks like he is committed to doing it, now it is just a question of timing.
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:29:01 PM

Rsnel has given me a time table he will reply with more info shortly.

Jag
jiefangqian

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:00:21 PM

good news.

XBC:B7jR5zX8pBpyjyrcMMiYCQyLVLC6YZjFYh
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: