Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:58:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: UK miners  (Read 3854 times)
UltraPleb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:06:12 PM

Thanks for creating this, useful just being a UK bitcoin user. Will check it out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lucano

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

‎"How people treat you is their karma"

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 06:55:49 PM

Hi Guys,
Looking for hardware for mining rigs I saw this topic.
Happy to see this group.
I'm in.BTCBTC Cool Cool

Jacko

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:03:25 PM

Fantastic.

About time for us to have a local to us forum here in the U.K.

Now we can get better timed replies without the time differences and our sense of humor will match.

I have some spare time during the day to help. I'm self employed and could help possibly with some Mod work ( if it's not too complicated ) keeping spam off. I suppose it being just started up it will be easier to learn rather than when it gets busy.

Going over now to sign up. Hopefully I can get in early and use the same I.D. LMAO

cryptoceelo

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:40:35 AM

I would use it but hate dark forum skins
H88861

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:17:22 PM

Oh excellent i'm new anyway and will join the UK forum also
Jacko

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:00:35 AM

Signed up.

Nice looking Forum.

Jacko
add1ct3dd

Activity: 657
Merit: 270

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:40:57 AM

Will register up.

2 of us in the UK run https://www.united-miners.com Smiley

Always good to have more "local" folk!
Jacko

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:18:45 PM

Thanks for registering Add1ct3dd.

More people from the U.K. is always good.

Jacko
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:22:16 PM

hi guys,

i've noticed a lack of dedicated UK mining information - and after speaking to a few people online ive started up a small forum - www.ukminers.co.uk - its not intended to replace bitcointalk - i like it too much but to make it easier for us UK miners to find information relavant to us.

it gets irritating on the sales forum when trying to buy stuff in the UK (especially when its a bargain and then realise its in the states or somewhere else and it suddenly becomes expensive due to shipping and import fees!)

I'm also looking for help managing the forum so if anyone (uk based) wants to help please PM me Smiley

i'm inexperienced when it comes to managing forums so please post any constructive criticisms!

Cool, I've joined and sent the to link to some of other UK miners.
davida

Activity: 585
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:51:24 PM

Agreed, dark forum themes are horrible!
Jacko

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:04:24 PM

If you don't like dark themes. Just a suggestion. The Guy running it is really open and friendly. Why not join and pm hardwired007 and ask him to change the theme. It might work.
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:46:38 PM

Agreed, dark forum themes are horrible!

I like the Theme. Maybe you should start selling Mining equipment to UK buyers to boost your site a bit.
Might even be able to make yourself some money in the process. Plus you can do advertisement etc.
Jacko

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:17:53 PM

I'll pass the information on to Hotwired007.

You never know he just might.
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:09:35 PM

I wanted to start a business that accepts bitcoin but all the payment processors are eur or usd not one gbp based tool .
If you're wanting to sell stuff for bitcoins and you're a miner then presumably you don't mind holding bitcoins yourself, so why not just:

• Offer the customer a spot price in BTC for a GBP equivalent.
  • Let them make the BTC payment.
  • Settle up the GBP amount with your business personally.
  • Take personal ownership of the BTC.
?

That is the model currently used by Individual Pubs Ltd, e.g. Pembury Tavern in East London.

You talk about customers making SEPA transfers though so perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant by "I want to start a business that accepts bitcoin"

Did you mean that there are no UK bitcoin exchanges for your customers to obtain bitcoin to pay you in?

If so, I agree, that is an issue.

Still, some UK people do buy on EUR exchanges.

Also some mine to get coins.

Also some buy at e.g. LocalBitcoins or in-person trades.

And it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation - increasing demand for bitcoins will help to build the case for a local exchange.

There was Intersango and Britcoin once up on a time. I understand they had banking difficulties and were forced to shut down.

I hear stories of UK banks being hostile to bitcoin businesses. At this point franky1 may jump in and rant at me again about how the banks are fine and only incompetents fail to work with them, although in that particular case I would happily accept incompetence as the real reason for their failure given who was behind those efforts.

Anyway, there being things to buy locally with bitcoins is just as important as there being ways to buy bitcoins locally. Smiley

Presumably you would allow customers to pay by both BTC and GBP anyway, right?
overunity

Activity: 198

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:36:36 AM

I wanted to start a business that accepts bitcoin but all the payment processors are eur or usd not one gbp based tool .
If you're wanting to sell stuff for bitcoins and you're a miner then presumably you don't mind holding bitcoins yourself, so why not just:

• Offer the customer a spot price in BTC for a GBP equivalent.
  • Let them make the BTC payment.
  • Settle up the GBP amount with your business personally.
  • Take personal ownership of the BTC.
?

That is the model currently used by Individual Pubs Ltd, e.g. Pembury Tavern in East London.

You talk about customers making SEPA transfers though so perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant by "I want to start a business that accepts bitcoin"

Did you mean that there are no UK bitcoin exchanges for your customers to obtain bitcoin to pay you in?

If so, I agree, that is an issue.

Still, some UK people do buy on EUR exchanges.

Also some mine to get coins.

Also some buy at e.g. LocalBitcoins or in-person trades.

And it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation - increasing demand for bitcoins will help to build the case for a local exchange.

There was Intersango and Britcoin once up on a time. I understand they had banking difficulties and were forced to shut down.

I hear stories of UK banks being hostile to bitcoin businesses. At this point franky1 may jump in and rant at me again about how the banks are fine and only incompetents fail to work with them, although in that particular case I would happily accept incompetence as the real reason for their failure given who was behind those efforts.

Anyway, there being things to buy locally with bitcoins is just as important as there being ways to buy bitcoins locally. Smiley

Presumably you would allow customers to pay by both BTC and GBP anyway, right?

Its a while since my original post ,Yes my issue was that there is no were for my customers to easily get bitcoin but I think localbitcoins is the answer to that .
I have since made a website with a QR code on the home page so they can easily pay me .
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:08:14 AM

Hi guys, the theme is just one i liked - it can be changed easy enough Wink any suggestions? I wanted it to be obviously different to the bitcointalk colour scheme.

I don't follow with the selling equipment suggestion - do you mean i buy equipment with GBP then sell for BTC? There are a few services that offer that in the UK already (if there was a big enough demand for it i could look into it. (I have a reasonable amount of redundant second user equipment that i could sell)

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:15:21 AM

I've activated the prosilver theme so anyone who registers can choose either the red/black theme or the blue/white theme (in User Control Panel > Board Preferences > My Board Style)

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Jacko

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:48:27 AM

I like the blue theme, it's easier on my eyes. Each to his own, but more choice is better  Smiley

Cheers Hotwired.

Jacko
Jacko

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:43:48 AM

Well a new milestone reached we now have 50 members at the UK Miners Forum.

All you UK Miners keep coming Guys and Girls.

The aim is to not compete with Bitcointalk but to be a place to enhance the info here with UK specific information, equipment sales and shops and businesses accepting Crypto Currency.

Jacko
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:51:28 AM

Well we have 51 members now - am hoping to get a few more buy the end of april - can we get to 100 (or even higher?)

I'm looking at a few bulk/Group buys on mining hardware if anyone is interested? Antminer U2s and gridseeds are the two that seem most popular.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: