Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:04:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Silk road bust: bearish or bullish?
Bearish for bitcoin, shrinking the btc economy. - 9 (14.8%)
Bullish for bitcoin, removing a dangerous association. - 35 (57.4%)
Something else. - 17 (27.9%)
Total Voters: 61

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk road bust: bearish or bullish?  (Read 1970 times)
fgmnp (OP)
Donator

Activity: 29
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 08:32:35 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2019, 06:50:37 AM by deego

d
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:48:56 PM

It's bullish, but not because a dangerous association has been removed, because it hasn't. It's not like with the removal of silk road people will suddenly stop buying drugs with bitcoins. It will have the same effect as what shutting down Napster did to downloading.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:36:19 PM

My fear is eventually crime syndicates with resources and know how that eclipses that of the hopelessly amateur DPR, will eventually set up shop on TOR and make SR look like a corner store beside Wal-mart.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 12:30:00 AM

It has absolutely nothing to do with a "bad association being removed." People are stupid but they at least realize that just becuase SR was shut down (because of n00b errors on the part of DPR) doesn't mean all of a sudden no one will buy drugs with bitcoins anymore... Napster was shutdown and let's talk about how illegal music downloading was completely stopped after that... lol.

No, the reason this is bullish for the price is simply that all the "silk road rider" trolls/faggots were COMPLETELY schooled. You know, the people who came on here posting about how bitcoin price "rides on silk road" and if not for folks buying BTC to order heroin, the exchange rate would be... what were some of the estimates... $5, $10, $30... yes, people actually claimed that without Silk Road's volume, the "actual economy" behind Bitcoin would only support single digit prices.

So now that they've all been proven completely wrong, we can get on with business.

Now we just have to get rid of the "BTC price is completely based on speculation" whiners. That's a different case altogether. It's not that they're wrong, per se, it's just that it doesn't fucking matter one bit. Doesn't 1% of the US population own 40% of the dollars? Are they not speculators? Just so happens that they have moved onto bigger markets to manipulate (multi-quadrillion dollar derivatives markets, etc.) What about gold? You can't even use that to buy shit unless you're at porcfest or a few backwoods shops in Arizona. How are its current buyers and sellers anything BUT speculators? Where is this perfect speculation-proof (paradoxical) asset/commodity/currency that the whiners have discovered and now use for all their purchases? Show me an up-and-coming commodity, currency, asset, or stock that does not attract speculators and I'll show you a flying turtle. The "speculators = bad" people are just like the "saving/hoarding = bad" people. Speculating is just a natural part of a market. Speculators distort price moves, sure, but you can't exactly draw a line between how much of the move was "speculation" and how much was "whatever the fuck else."

Rant over. Silk Road over. "Silk Road Rider" bitches put in their place. Let's move on and school some more whiny keynesian douchebags. $900 CNY here we come.
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:16:57 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2013, 01:38:15 AM by hlynur

It's bullish, but not because a dangerous association has been removed, because it hasn't. It's not like with the removal of silk road people will suddenly stop buying drugs with bitcoins. It will have the same effect as what shutting down Napster did to downloading.
this.
it's just the beginning, many consumers of drugs heard for the first time that there's the possibility to buy drugs online. (many despise their dealer around the corner because of ridiculous prices and bad quality)
After napster came kazaa, edonkey, emule etc. followed by the torrent network and lots of filehosters.

In this case bad news are good news.
On one hand this has kind of whitewashed bitcoin for the public and in future media coverage can show that it's about more than just drugs and gambling
on the other hand pandora's box is wide open and marketsystems like SR will spread like mushrooms in tor network. (there are already two other markets according to reddit)

afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 08:50:36 AM

I voted bullish, but not for reason given. I think its bullish because it shows us government agencies are starting to take an interest in possessing and hoarding bitcoins.
lucas.sev

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 09:40:00 AM

I voted bullish, but not for reason given. I think its bullish because it shows us government agencies are starting to take an interest in possessing and hoarding bitcoins.

Yes, of course, and meth busts are sign that government agencies want to store meth
afbitcoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 11:24:47 AM

Yes, of course, and meth busts are sign that government agencies want to store meth

I won't go into how the govts and banks run the drug industry which is a long story in itself

Its not so much the seizure of bitcoins by the FBI but also that the FBI conducted their raid at a key technical point in the bitcoin rally. This shows govt/bank (money power) intention to harm bitcoin price. More smoke wafting around is that bitcoin forums were hacked at same time. To me, this shows fear of bitcoins by existing money power. First you ignore it, then you laugh at it, then you fight it.

I predict if the FBI coins are sold at any point it will be done at another key technical area, to again try and break price down.

Then they lose

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 12:10:04 PM

I predict if the FBI coins are sold at any point it will be done at another key technical area, to again try and break price down.

Then they lose

this is how it works.

First they troll you
Then they laugh at you
then they send in the FEDs
then you become insolvent.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 12:13:08 PM

Then they lose

this is how it works.

First they troll you
Then they laugh at you
Yeah, but then you get $500/mo in food stamps and can buy a lobster every day for dinner, so you win.  Cool
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 12:15:10 PM

Nobody sells lobster dinners for mtgoxUSD.
afbitcoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 03:21:42 PM

Then they lose

this is how it works.

First they troll you
Then they laugh at you

So I guess thats you trolling me, nice one.
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:47:01 PM

Well I think we've now seen something with both Mt. Gox and SR.  These sites considered very important to BTC to some it seemed.  Now we see that it's not necessary for them for BTC to succeed, and that they can be replaced easily anyway.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
AU

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:29:04 PM

SR was a very small portion of btc market.. i mean look at the price now Smiley

Razer Blade 14" for sale
BTC: 1E1QQDq8keR9uVykmxSzo7CUYrWtQ6J9M8
fleabag

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:59:03 PM

It has absolutely nothing to do with a "bad association being removed." People are stupid but they at least realize that just becuase SR was shut down (because of n00b errors on the part of DPR) doesn't mean all of a sudden no one will buy drugs with bitcoins anymore... Napster was shutdown and let's talk about how illegal music downloading was completely stopped after that... lol.

No, the reason this is bullish for the price is simply that all the "silk road rider" trolls/faggots were COMPLETELY schooled. You know, the people who came on here posting about how bitcoin price "rides on silk road" and if not for folks buying BTC to order heroin, the exchange rate would be... what were some of the estimates... $5, $10, $30... yes, people actually claimed that without Silk Road's volume, the "actual economy" behind Bitcoin would only support single digit prices.

So now that they've all been proven completely wrong, we can get on with business.

Now we just have to get rid of the "BTC price is completely based on speculation" whiners. That's a different case altogether. It's not that they're wrong, per se, it's just that it doesn't fucking matter one bit. Doesn't 1% of the US population own 40% of the dollars? Are they not speculators? Just so happens that they have moved onto bigger markets to manipulate (multi-quadrillion dollar derivatives markets, etc.) What about gold? You can't even use that to buy shit unless you're at porcfest or a few backwoods shops in Arizona. How are its current buyers and sellers anything BUT speculators? Where is this perfect speculation-proof (paradoxical) asset/commodity/currency that the whiners have discovered and now use for all their purchases? Show me an up-and-coming commodity, currency, asset, or stock that does not attract speculators and I'll show you a flying turtle. The "speculators = bad" people are just like the "saving/hoarding = bad" people. Speculating is just a natural part of a market. Speculators distort price moves, sure, but you can't exactly draw a line between how much of the move was "speculation" and how much was "whatever the fuck else."

Rant over. Silk Road over. "Silk Road Rider" bitches put in their place. Let's move on and school some more whiny keynesian douchebags. $900 CNY here we come.

Ashley why are you so angry? Silk road trolls/faggots? I think you ought to sell some of your precious bitcoins and go and get yourself laid.
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 09:18:28 PM

Excellent for the bitcoin economy.  Got the word out to the mainstream media in a big way.  Also revealed the great possibilities for those willing to work hard and push the boundaries. 

Stopping bitcoin is akin to stopping file sharing.  The first adopters may take some hits, but eventually the hoards overwhelm the gate keepers in increasingly massive numbers too many to stop.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
fleabag

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:26:59 PM

BEARISH IN THE MOST EXTREME WAY!

I think all the people who think bitcoins are going to revolutionize the world are the ones on drugs. Its a boiler room scam that several exchanges are making a boatload of money off of. Any recourse if anything goes wrong? NO! Have fun!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:33:29 PM

I think all the people who think bitcoins are going to revolutionize the world are the ones on drugs. Its a boiler room scam that several exchanges are making a boatload of money off of. Any recourse if anything goes wrong? NO! Have fun!

Roll Eyes

.... So why are you here?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
fleabag

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:43:33 PM

Roll Eyes

.... So why are you here?

I think I just like to be a dick. I want to burst every bulls bubble on here.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:44:50 PM

Nobody sells lobster dinners for mtgoxUSD.

Who cares?  Restaurants are accepting BTC.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: