Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:00:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DefaultTrust is BAD. Very bad.  (Read 12789 times)
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:11:58 PM

If you check his trust, you see that Theymos added him to default trust, with the comment, "Responsibly disclosed forum security flaws." so I'd imagine thats how he got on the default trust network.

But really, he had tons of feedback, being on the default trust list I don't really think gave him any additional power after he had an additional 100 people leave good feedback for him. Assuming Tradefortress actually planned the long con if it was one, the default trust wouldn't help him all that much past a certain point.

In all fairness, I believe its just as likely that he staged the hack, as it is it was actually a hack, and now he just can't pay back the Bitcoins. Either way, a lot of people are out money.
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:14:15 PM

If you check his trust, you see that Theymos added him to default trust, with the comment, "Responsibly disclosed forum security flaws." so I'd imagine thats how he got on the default trust network.

Sounds like horse shit to me.

He disclosed security flaws but then his site got "hacked"?  He's a scam artist and Theymos is either a fool or he was in on it.
Lohoris (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:20:50 PM

Sounds like horse shit to me.

He disclosed security flaws
It likely means that he "penetration tested" the forum without authorization, and blackmailed the owner to either pay him a bounty or bring it down.

IIRC he has already done things like that in the past.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:29:44 PM

Default trust... what an oxymoron...

hahahah never thought about it like that, but definitely an oxymoron...
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 04:35:44 PM

DefaultTrust would be fine and people wouldn't bitch about it if people weren't added to it just because they're friends of theymos. Fuck, at least have some user input if it's DEFAULT.

I don't even edit my trust list because 90% of the forum will just have DefaultTrust and see my trust as DefaultTrust thinks it should be anyway. No point having 999 people with the same trust list and being the 1 person with a different trust list.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:33:03 PM

DefaultTrust would be fine and people wouldn't bitch about it if people weren't added to it just because they're friends of theymos. Fuck, at least have some user input if it's DEFAULT.

I don't even edit my trust list because 90% of the forum will just have DefaultTrust and see my trust as DefaultTrust thinks it should be anyway. No point having 999 people with the same trust list and being the 1 person with a different trust list.
This

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:11:36 AM

I have an idea. Why not have a notification bar at the top of every page that doesn't go away until you've read how the Trust system works, and you've edited your Trust settings?
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 08:28:41 AM

"Well hang on, my trust list says you're untrusted..."

"Hm? Mine says that I have +5 rep points and that you have -1..."

"No, it says -5 for you..."

- Why everyone having a different trust list isn't a perfect system.

I agree that having everyone being able to give rep that means something is bad because...look at my rep page, but having those people be exclusively chosen by ~10 people is worse.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 10:20:54 AM

I agree that having everyone being able to give rep that means something is bad because...look at my rep page, but having those people be exclusively chosen by ~10 people is worse.
I don't see why everybody should have the same trust about someone...
Why should I trust someone you trust?

You have -1 for me and I have -5 for you? Well I guess we won't trade together. And that's all.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 10:31:07 AM

You have -1 for me and I have -5 for you? Well I guess we won't trade together. And that's all.

Hmmm, true.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 10:36:28 AM

Hmmm, true.

Well the problem remains for newbies who don't know trustable people and/or can be easily tricked

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:23:32 PM

It seems the trust system is causing more heartache than good.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:43:43 PM

Tweaked my settings a bit. I added users I haven't interacted with, but with ratings I like/trust.

Much better Cheesy
You got TradeFortress in your default trust list...
Which makes it useless to me. Wink

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 01:56:52 PM

Tweaked my settings a bit. I added users I haven't interacted with, but with ratings I like/trust.

Much better Cheesy
You got TradeFortress in your default trust list...
Which makes it useless to me. Wink

TF isn't in DefaultTrust anymore. Tongue

Kouye

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 02:05:50 PM

TF isn't in DefaultTrust anymore. Tongue
Meant he added TF to his root trust, sorry.

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:32:18 PM

Speaking of abuse of the trust system...

Sod, I mean, Vod has sunken to new lows:

Posted in his sent feedback:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=104135

just_me -6: -1 / +0(0)   2013-11-08   0.00000000  
Reference: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320104.msg3516069#msg3516069
"User has mental health problems and has lost touch with reality. Do not do business with this person!"

The thread was started by just_me to discuss Christianity.

Predictably enough Vod starts thread crapping calling Christianity a cult and insulting every Christian posting in it.

Apparently, being a Christian and discussing it is enough for him to call someone mentally ill and taint their reputation.

Since Vod has no shame, I implore everyone to give Vod negative feedback for continuously harassing Christians on this forum, until he removes his false feedbacks.

This is after he accused me of identity theft with no proof, since I offered loans in the lending section which he likes to bully on, giving anyone he dislikes neg feedback. He continues to troll me, saying I am in a cult because of my Christian beliefs.

Vod is in the default trust list (surprise!)

Is this the type of behavior that people who run the forum support?
Kouye

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:35:21 PM

Speaking of abuse of the trust system...

Sod, I mean, Vod has sunken to new lows:

Posted in his sent feedback:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=104135

just_me -6: -1 / +0(0)   2013-11-08   0.00000000   
Reference: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320104.msg3516069#msg3516069
"User has mental health problems and has lost touch with reality. Do not do business with this person!"

The thread was started by just_me to discuss Christianity.

Predictably enough Vod starts thread crapping calling Christianity a cult and insulting every Christian posting in it.

Apparently, being a Christian and discussing it is enough for him to call someone mentally ill and taint their reputation.

Since Vod has no shame, I implore everyone to give Vod negative feedback for continuously harassing Christians on this forum, until he removes his false feedbacks.

This is after he accused me of identity theft with no proof, since I offered loans in the lending section which he likes to bull on. He continues to troll me, saying I am in a cult because of my Christian beliefs.

This is completely off-topic, please go rant somewhere else.

AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:38:58 PM

What part of Vod is on the default trust list do you not understand?

Like, seriously?

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:40:18 PM

Hmmm, true.

Well the problem remains for newbies who don't know trustable people and/or can be easily tricked

Yes but trusting scammers is not going to help them.

Kouye

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:51:33 PM

What part of Vod is on the default trust list do you not understand?

Like, seriously?

Ok, let's play at "Where's Vod".

Code:
sirius
theymos
HostFat
Maged
OgNasty
CanaryInTheMine
John (John K.)
Tomatocage
SaltySpitoon
BadBear
escrow.ms

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: