Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:34:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Merit Phase 2 - Drain the Swamp (@theymos)  (Read 2964 times)
TheQuin (OP)

Activity: 2562
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:29:56 PM

There are a lot of cases where innocent people would be penalized under the proposed system. People who don't post that often, those who go on a break from the forum, people who post in sections where merit sources are still thin, etc would all have a much higher risk of unfairly having their signatures removed. The last thing I'd like to see is decent occasional posters begging for merit or posting when they don't want to just so they can keep their signature.

I do understand your point. I did try and make the requirement as minimal as possible for this reason. One Merit in the last two months doesn't really require being that active. Also, it is only tempory as the signature is only hidden until they do get a merit point.

I think the better option is to just let the account farmers continue to get frustrated, and the moderators will find them eventually.

Let's hope so.

Is there any chance for all managers to gather and discuss a standard of merit requirement for the campaign they handle? In my opinion this is an interesting to do because managers can be served as spammer controller and this would be a great addition to the SMAS.

The problem is that in a lot of the altcoin/ico bounties the managers don't give a shit and just want to get as many page impressions as possible regardless.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
De4ted

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:45:24 PM

As I read some rules of the forum, I see this merit system has a big impact on reducing spam, but im not agree with this suggestion because I think it is easy for them to get 1 merit especially those account has sMerit stock on them so they can trade some merit points to other people that you call shitposters, and the second way is to create new account and then give 2 merit and get back the 1 merit, I assume those spammers and farmers not only have 1 high rank accounts, the effect of the system you are proposing will cause create more dummy account and they can level up their dummys until member rank. Sorry for my bad english.
TheQuin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:48:18 PM

As I read some rules of the forum, I see this merit system has a big impact on reducing spam, but im not agree with this suggestion because I think it is easy for them to get 1 merit especially those account has sMerit stock on them so they can trade some merit points to other people that you call shitposters, and the second way is to create new account and then give 2 merit and get back the 1 merit, I assume those spammers and farmers not only have 1 high rank accounts, the effect of the system you are proposing will cause create more dummy account and they can level up their dummys until member rank. Sorry for my bad english.

Your English is fine but you should have read the thread as I've already answered this. That is why it is an ongoing requirement, they will soon run out of Merit to pass around.

99maxout

Activity: 99
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:51:54 PM

So to my suggestion:

Amend the forum to hide signatures of any account that hasn't earned at least 1 Merit in the last 2 months.

This will bar them from getting paid to post and not have any negative impact on anyone making even the tiniest contribution to the forum. Nobody loses their rank and even if someone is away from the forum for a while they can quickly get their signature back.
I like your idea of hiding the signatures of the signature campaign participants. This will force them to make a high quality posts in order for the signatures to be seen. Although I see that mostly will abuse it by just giving their alt one merit and they will be paid but it can be solved because you can track the merits of a certain user.

There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.

Maybe it's time for demerits to be implemented. I think that if a demerit subtracted merit from the sender too, or cost twice as much sMerit it would minimize abuse.
To be honest, I don't like the word demerit. Demerit if added in this forum will be abuse by many users. Lets say, I am angry with user X and lets say I will demerit him 5 times or 10 times not because he is a shitposter but because I am angry with him. This can happen with anybody that is why I don't like demerit in the forum. Just merit  Wink Wink

In my opinion, maybe all of the bounty campaigns must have a minimum merit requirement and all of the campaign manager must put a minimum merit of maybe 3-5 to Jr member, 15-20 to Member, 105-110 to Full member and so on and so forth. In this way, it will be harder for shitposters to join in the signature campaign because they don't have enough merits to join.
I like that no demerits, im really glad i found this thread, coz im wondering how can i earn merits?
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1323

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:53:47 PM

I was thinking about something similar and I tend to agree with your suggestion.
And I more concerned about Jr. Members than high ranked users. Now many bounties are still accepting Jr. Members, despite that they can't wear clickable signatures. So, they don't even need to get Merit if they want to earn from bounty campaigns by shitposting. Offcourse, they will earn less than high ranked users, but it doesn't really matter. Maybe they will never earn any single Merit, but they don't care much about it as long as they earning money on bitcointalk. Additional to what you said, I think that even basic signatures should be disabled if user haven't earned any Merits.

TheQuin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:58:24 PM

I was thinking about something similar and I tend to agree with your suggestion.
And I more concerned about Jr. Members than high ranked users. Now many bounties are still accepting Jr. Members, despite that they can't wear clickable signatures. So, they don't even need to get Merit if they want to earn from bounty campaigns by shitposting. Offcourse, they will earn less than high ranked users, but it doesn't really matter. Maybe they will never earn any single Merit, but they don't care much about it as long as they earning money on bitcointalk. Additional to what you said,

Thanks, yes that is what is concerning me about the Jr. Members. If they earn 1/10th as much they'll just make 10x as many accounts.

I think that even basic signatures should be disabled if user haven't earned any Merits.

That is exactly what I envisaged. No merit in the last 60 days = signature hidden. So nobody would have a signature until receiving their first merit.

Alone055

Activity: 860
Merit: 193

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 03:28:22 PM

I actually liked the idea, but that, in my opinion, won't change a lot of things. We (or you, as you have started this) are talking about the spammers that have already surpassed the levels before the Merit system was implemented, and as we all know that every account have received Merits according to their rank at the initial Merit distribution, and thus they got half of that amount as sMerits to send to others. So if a person (a spammer, more particularly) had more than 1 accounts in higher ranks, they all must have received Merits as well, which they would probably use to Merit their own accounts in order to bypass this change as well.

Sending only 1 Merit to your own alt won't really make you suspicious, but receiving just 1 Merit would surely make you safe from the change that we are discussing right now. So if the spammers start exchanging 1 Merit between their accounts, they will all be able to tackle this change too.
So maybe something quite more effective should be done. Something that should not let the spammers skip it at any cost.

TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 03:37:50 PM

Is there any chance for all managers to gather and discuss a standard of merit requirement for the campaign they handle? In my opinion this is an interesting to do because managers can be served as spammer controller and this would be a great addition to the SMAS.

^^^^

if Theymos implemented some rules to becoming a manager, then set some standards around minimum merits.. bosh spam goes away

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 03:50:00 PM

Mate, you have good ideas and I like your participation in the forums but the "best" example of the "partial" inefficiency of your idea is Deeponion...
I will let you enjoy hurting your eyes with ridiculous smerit given to newbies to get 10 smerit at any cost.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=1038794

I would say, I support your idea but further actions are required...

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 03:50:46 PM

^^^^

if Theymos implemented some rules to becoming a manager, then set some standards around minimum merits.. bosh spam goes away

Yup, i would love to see it and called it as The Managers (group of super managers like The Avengers) while Theymos is Nick Fury, or maybe Managers League would do too, haha. What i want to say is the sam as TMAN,  since everybody can be a manager (especially the famous and skilled one) i guess it is a good thing if there are some rules to be a manager .
De4ted

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 03:51:41 PM

Your English is fine but you should have read the thread as I've already answered this. That is why it is an ongoing requirement, they will soon run out of Merit to pass around.

Sorry for that im using CP at the moment, back to the topic your idea will take a long time to eliminate those shit people maybe admins will came up with a better idea.
In my own real opinion the only problem here is that sMerit this system just cause unfair to other members here in your forum, I think the best way for many arguments about the system is to shut down the sMerit system (not the merit system) and assign those trusted high ranks in merit distribution. So that only the officials can send meriy to everyone, I think 1 official in every section excluding local section they can manage the distribution easily and those shit peoples can never increase their ranks unless they start learning and contribute in the community fairly.
TheQuin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 04:01:57 PM

Mate, you have good ideas and I like your participation in the forums but the "best" example of the "partial" inefficiency of your idea is Deeponion...
I will let you enjoy hurting your eyes with ridiculous smerit given to newbies to get 10 smerit at any cost.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=1038794

I would say, I support your idea but further actions are required...

Thanks. I know it is easy to get frustrated with Merit abuse, just look at this fella https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2896910.msg32299023#msg32299023 and it seems that DT are too busy arguing amongst themselves to bother tagging all the cases that have been found.

But... It is only a temporary situation, the sMerit will run out. That's why I believe putting in a system like this that requires an ongoing merit threshold or your signature is hidden until you get it will be more effective than trying to catch them all in the long run.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 04:06:48 PM

If Theymos implements rules, he then needs to enforce them.  :/

We need more moderators!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 04:20:01 PM

We need more moderators!

Then hire more eligible moderators.
If it would help the forum certain laws/rules need to be brought in stage.
ericunc95

Activity: 98
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:44:37 PM

I do not truly like the idea of managers making accounts have a certain amount of merit before they can participate or that they have to earn a certain amount a week because then you are leaving your participation up to if someone else feels that you have put out a quality post.  I also agree that there needs to be something in place to limit any type of account farming because that is not fair to everyone else and people get tired of reading a lot of the posts.  I wish the merit stuff would have started a week later because then i could have gotten my member status.  LoL.  I will get there eventually.  Have not had a big chance to post much lately as I have had other things outside of crypto consuming me. 

Bottom line for me...anything we can do to limit spam and make the forum better, I am for...just dont like leaving my participation in a bounty or something up to someone else and if they find my post is something valuable and worth merit.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:49:33 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2018, 06:08:25 PM by Mpamaegbu

It sounds like a good idea on the face of it, but I suspect that the bad managers will arrange for their posters to receive merit to bypass the restriction.
Ouch! This is a heavy allegation. You make it sound like the campaign managers are accomplices in this spamming the forum struggles to eradicate.

The problem is that in a lot of the altcoin/ico bounties the managers don't give a shit and just want to get as many page impressions as possible regardless.
Managers here express more laxity than their colleagues at the btc paying campaigns. I don't think they deliberately want to not be thorough but maybe the crave to keep the scarcely got jobs make them a bit relaxed with strictness to adherence to posting rules.

We need more moderators!

Then hire more eligible moderators.
If it would help the forum certain laws/rules need to be brought in stage.
I think the forums have enough moderators. They only need to step up their game and be top notch getting defaulters to face the wrath of the forum. The existing laws need to start getting enforced.

Something like users must earn 5 merits a months for their account to display a signature if being done by theymos or managers can make a user earn 1 merit per week to stay in a campaign.
I strongly disagree with this.Even though the merit system is doing well,I don't think every quality poster is awarded merits.My point being,a participant could be a great quality poster but due to whatever reasons his unmerited posts shouldn't stop him from participating in campaigns.
Well done Joel. Your position can not be faulted.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1403

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:55:22 PM

Amend the forum to hide signatures of any account that hasn't earned at least 1 Merit in the last 2 months.

This will bar them from getting paid to post and not have any negative impact on anyone making even the tiniest contribution to the forum. Nobody loses their rank and even if someone is away from the forum for a while they can quickly get their signature back.

Hah!  Easy for you to say...  What about cute trolls like me that people seldom give merits to?  I sure am a narcissistic assh*le in the forum at times, but I'm far from being a spammer.

And I'm not here to please anybody for merits.  F*ck that.

One way to make this forum better is to be extra stict for a year or so...

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
zool2003

Activity: 126
Merit: 3

Joe's Signatureless Challenge

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:59:44 PM

I mentioned this earlier but I am still a bit lost here.

The people with multiple accounts are just passing merits to their alt accounts aren’t they? Which means that the merit system isn’t affecting hem at all if they already have established accounts?

It looks like some alt account holders are highlighted but still with us months on.

Can’t alt accounts just have a temp bad on the highest activity account but a perm ban on the lower alts?

▬▬▬ I'm part of a movement to help make the forums a better place and free it of spam:▬▬▬
█ █  http://bit.ly/SigFree  █ █
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16315

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 06:14:48 PM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

I wouldn't mind if the initial Merit drops by 1 point per month, but that would instantly create a sales market for Merit. A month later, the sales price would probably go up.

As an alternative: I would love to see more shitposters banned! Merit has closed the flood gates, now it's time to start mopping the floor. Each banned account used to be replaced by 10 new ones, but that won't happen anymore. Once gone, nothing will grow back in it's place!

I guess it might be better if mods had the power to disable signatures for everybody who received less than 1 merit in the last month... That way the mod could use his own judgement wether or not the person in question is a spammer, or just a very low volume poster that just didn't receive any merits because of their low post frequency.
Why should Mods demerit them, if they can ban them directly?

From my limited experience as a signature campaign manager: the quality of posters largely depends on the available budget. A campaign manager can only select the best possible posters if he has the highest budget at his disposal.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
McWorse

Activity: 618
Merit: 292

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 06:50:16 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2018, 07:02:48 PM by McWorse
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

I think, that I am not the only one:
I did not receive a single merit since this new system started.
Maybe its because I am not making friends here. Maybe I am posting in the wrong threads. Maybe my postings don't reach that high quality which is needed for earning merits ... I don't know. I don't take care about it. It doesn't matter. In the meantime, I have said goodbye to the idea of being able to ascend again at all.
Again: That doesn't matter.

But getting a spammer's stamp on my account ... nah ... that matters.

So please take care, that you don't hit the wrong members when you try to solve a big (yes! it is!) problem here.

Regards!
McW

edit:
You should take a look here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3121688.0

It is very hard to earn merits. And when you let them drop every months, you will leave a lot of frustrated members behind...

YOU CAN'T EAT BLOCKCHAINS!

... better enjoy some Yummy Recipes!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: