Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:48:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Hollywood Movie  (Read 5997 times)
simonk83 (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:57:44 PM

Cross posting from the news section.  Figured it's worth a thread in here as well Smiley

20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment have set best-selling author Dennis Lehane to script Silk Road, a fact-based tale taken from an article that Joshua Davis is writing for the Epic website, which is devoted to film-friendly longform journalism. It’s the true story of a young kid who was arrested for putting out a hit on the clients of the Silk Road, the illegal online bazaar he created where one could buy illegal goods including drugs or services like contract killings. Lehane wrote Shutter Island, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Live By Night, which is Ben Affleck’s next directing effort at Warner Bros. Lehane also scripted Animal Rescue, the Chernin-produced Michael R. Roskam-directed drama for Fox Searchlight that stars Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and James Gandolfini.

Peter Chernin and Jenno Topping will produce along with Davis and Joshuah Bearman. Davis and Bearman are journalists who partnered in Epic, the company that formed a first-look Fox deal to produce films based on magazine articles hatched by them and other journalists. Bearman wrote the article that served as the jumping off point for Best Picture Oscar winner Argo.

There was a stampede for the movie rights to this story, and Chernin’s Kerry Foster was integral in making this happen. Amy Schiffman from Intellectual Property Group and attorney Jason Hendler of Hanson Jacobson brokered the deal for Lehane. This is an exciting form of movie making because the story is still developing, as are some of the other movie projects set up by those journos. It also gives Fox a high-profile project after making that deal to try and do things outside the box, and getting A-level talent to develop it. Bearman is repped by UTA, David by Resolution and both are managed by Circle Of Confusion’s Rick Jacobs.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/fox-sets-dennis-lehane-to-adapt-silk-road/#more-613293

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:02:32 AM

i hope they get the story straight and show how the FBI framed him for those hits that never happened.
alfredo

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:05:44 AM

nice Cool
waqas

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:08:28 AM

nice Cool

its could be full action movie and some very good stuff to watch  Cheesy

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:54:38 AM

i hope they get the story straight and show how the FBI framed him for those hits that never happened.

Good luck there.  The official narrative will be what "everybody" remembers.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
moni3z

Activity: 899

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:58:24 AM

Will be a boring story. A guy who never spends any coins who sits in front of a laptop at the library making stupid decisions all day like using CIs and LE to order hits.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:04:44 AM

It’s the true story of a young kid who was arrested for putting out a hit on the clients of the Silk Road, the illegal online bazaar he created where one could buy illegal goods including drugs or services like contract killings.

Yea... couldn't buy contract killings on SR, though I'm sure it'll be portrayed that way.
cactus-pits

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:02:03 AM

no fucking shit man...^^^^

That was fast...how long did it take for the FB movie to get made??

and...just another audience to witness the beauty of the BTC....:-)
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:56:09 AM

It won't get the story "straight" no matter what.  Not because of any government conspiracy or whatever, but rather just because real life is reaaaaaaaaaaaally boring compared to movies.  I'm sorry kids, but that's just the way it is.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:50:34 AM

Hollywood isn't about getting the story right its about entertainment.

Sad, but true.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:52:45 AM

But attention for Bitcoin in a Hollywood movie Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 04:55:35 AM

Sad, but true.

It'll be entertaining only if they come to BitcoinTalk for inspiration. Besides myself, Bruce, Matthew, Atlas, Dank, Finn, to name a few, come to mind. And that's before you hit any mining concerns.
LoudPacKK

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:57:38 AM

Sweet
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 04:58:57 AM

Sad, but true.

It'll be entertaining only if they come to BitcoinTalk for inspiration. Besides myself, Bruce, Matthew, Atlas, Dank, Finn, to name a few, come to mind. And that's before you hit any mining concerns.

Well you obviously forgot Astana and sakaru Cheesy

Cheers

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
tripppn

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 05:54:43 AM

I'd download the torrent...   Wink

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 05:55:31 AM

Sad, but true.

Well you obviously forgot Astana and sakaru Cheesy

Cheers

...and Pinkie Pie and Rassah.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 06:08:56 AM

Is this for real? I remember seeing jokes about this. I can't imagine this would make for the most interesting move, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure it will create a somewhat distorted picture.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 10:03:32 AM

"services like contract killingsRoll Eyes

Had the potential to be a decent film but I'm pretty sure this will be an FBI funded propaganda piece like Reefer Madness:

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 10:50:41 AM

a movie about a guy that goes to a cybercafe, logs in checks his private messages and bug reports for a website... well thats 40 minutes of a movie wasted.

the movie then shows him in a chatroom typing away having an arguement and he flips open his tor browser to hire a hitman. thats the 10 minute build up to the action part of the movie.

and the last 40 minutes of a 90 minute movie is him sitting at home and the cops knocking at his door, getting arrested,,,

... definetly not a die hard action movie.. and less of a storyline then that facebook movie...

id think they may make a documentary channel  episode about it one day, but not worthy of going to the cinema for

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:34:44 PM

I don't think anybody is going to watch a movie about some computer nerd who sets up a website, then gets arrested.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:45:15 PM

SPOILER ALERT!!!

a movie about a guy that goes to a cybercafe, logs in checks his private messages and bug reports for a website... well thats 40 minutes of a movie wasted.

the movie then shows him in a chatroom typing away having an arguement and he flips open his tor browser to hire a hitman. thats the 10 minute build up to the action part of the movie.

and the last 40 minutes of a 90 minute movie is him sitting at home and the cops knocking at his door, getting arrested,,,

... definetly not a die hard action movie.. and less of a storyline then that facebook movie...

id think they may make a documentary channel  episode about it one day, but not worthy of going to the cinema for

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
howzar

Activity: 574

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:57:20 PM

Silk Road The Movie? it will be a stinky one,What's so exciting about a guy sitting in a basement and surfing the web and in the end getting arrested? even with drugs and hitman's stuff it's still a go-to-sleep story and maybe don't-sell-drugs one. Either they add some exciting conspiracy/mafia like "modifications" to the real thing or it will be a big fail.
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:59:22 PM

This would make such an epic plot for a movie. And yeah, of course they'll exaggerate things and change it a bit....
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:18:08 PM

Come on guys have some imagination. Of course he meets with all the drug lords in person. Get's roughed up a couple of times. Goes to Colombia and spits in the face of one of the great Kingpin's there, makes fund of their computer illiteracy etcetera etcetera. I'm beginning to see why the script writers get paid so much. To me, these crappy plots which the general public seems to love, write themselves.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:21:09 PM

Sad, but true.
For sure. Ticket sales are what it is all about.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:33:33 PM

I hope they sell tickets for Bitcoin.  Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:27:07 PM

That's bad ass! Who among us owns a movie theater? I know they are struggling, perhaps this could generate some sales?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
MAbtc

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 06:03:35 PM

I don't think anybody is going to watch a movie about some computer nerd who sets up a website, then gets arrested.
Yeah, that was my point. I just really don't understand how they could somehow stretch this story out into a 90 or 120 minute movie. I just don't see that happening, and the movie actually being interesting, all at once.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:35:20 PM

But attention for Bitcoin in a Hollywood movie Smiley

Yes, remember there is no such a thing as bad news, the only thing people will remember is the name. I think Henry Ford said that. Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 08:20:50 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/the-fifth-estate-movie-review/2013/10/16/6efa43d4-35a0-11e3-80c6-7e6dd8d22d8f_story.html

To paraphrase a quote gleaned from the above:

As with “The Fifth Estate,” the challenge of “Silk Road” is to inject visual interest in a story that’s essentially a guy looking at computer screen — a challenge that Lehane wrestles with uneven success.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 12:20:42 AM

They should probably wait for the guy to actually be found guilty?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
havecoch

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 12:54:00 AM

bitcoin movie bitcoin ticket + bitcoin popcorn !

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:10:38 AM

bitcoin movie bitcoin ticket + bitcoin popcorn !

A digital key I
Inside every kernel?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:14:39 AM

Framed?...  Scammed him maybe but not Framed...  I for one, thankful he was scammed on those and I imagine the intended targets are very thankful...  Framed implies you don't even think the murders for hire jobs were real?

Gordonium

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:38:31 AM

"I don't think that anybody is going to watch a tv show about some chemistry teacher who make illegal chemicals"

By the way, the movie could be called Breaking Bit  Grin
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:40:51 AM

"I don't think that anybody is going to watch a tv show about some chemistry teacher who make illegal chemicals"

By the way, the movie could be called Breaking Bit  Grin

Bitting Break FYW!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:46:26 AM

Dread Pirate Roberts and Pirateat40 star in "Yeah Bitch, Cryptography!"

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:47:57 AM

You guys realise that "adapted" means they will keep the drugs-over-the-internet bit and do whatever the fuck with the rest, right?

I'd die laughing if bitcoins aren't mentioned.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:48:49 AM

You guys realise that "adapted" means they will keep the drugs-over-the-internet bit and do whatever the fuck with the rest, right?

I'd die laughing if bitcoins aren't mentioned.

But the drugs over the internet bit is so 1995.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:20:13 PM

I will!

The thing is, they ought to include some of my adventures as to keep it interesting.  They can give several different perspectives.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 04:30:37 AM

did thy sell tickets for 'the social network' for facebook credits?? nope.....

that was such a missed opportunity for zuckerburg

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:42:59 AM

Everyone seems to be pretty negative about this, I honestly think it'll make a very interesting movie; can't wait! Hopefully it goes through.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 06:06:03 AM

Don't forget I came up first with the idea on the society and Po section Smiley

Silk Road - The End?

The sad thing is this story belongs in part to the bitcointalk community. This movie should be made by artists and talents supporting bitcoin, payed in bitcoins. No need for exclusive rights, make it open and worldwide for its financial capital. Make the whole movie open source. Make it suspenseful and fun and tragic and sad.

Who remember War games? That movie was about a computer playing game.. what a stupid idea. But this movie is a classic. It did not cost millions and millions and now we have access to amazing tools a fraction of the price it uses to cost.

I like the part about the exclusive rights for the silk road story.. Wow! Exclusive right to make a movie about a story directly linked with bitcoin.

I know it will not happen : a movie payed in bitcoin and open source like what the blender foundation does with their movie is too crazy of an idea for this community. I just wish this would be our baby and not another Hollywood's unloved tax write off bastard.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:58:14 PM

i have a perfect ending for the movie:  It ends with the original DPR still sitting in the Caribbean somewhere with a laptop sipping on some cocktails setting up the new SR 2.0
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:58:59 PM

i have a perfect ending for the movie:  It ends with the original DPR still sitting in the Caribbean somewhere with a laptop sipping on some cocktails setting up the new SR 2.0

Then the dream sequence fades away and we're brought back to reality, where he's currently getting raped.

freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:06:55 PM

they'll make out he hired lots of hitmen and had very poor personal hygiene/morals

or else it won't get made at all.

the nsa/cia/fbi will be shown as heroes.
MAbtc

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:58:08 PM

Everyone seems to be pretty negative about this, I honestly think it'll make a very interesting movie; can't wait! Hopefully it goes through.
How do you think it will make bitcoin look? (if they don't cut it out entirely, anyway)

I actually think it'll make for a terribly uninteresting plot, but I've been wrong about that sort of thing before.
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:28:36 AM

A guy behind a computer scripting and messaging, yeah that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:27:42 AM

A guy behind a computer scripting and messaging, yeah that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
hehe, gotta second this...... i have no idea how to make that into a movie, let alone an interesting movie. cool to see a movie involving bitcoin though!

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:42:09 AM

hehe, gotta second this...... i have no idea how to make that into a movie, let alone an interesting movie. cool to see a movie involving bitcoin though!

Come on guys! At least read the thread.

Come on guys have some imagination. Of course he meets with all the drug lords in person. Get's roughed up a couple of times. Goes to Colombia and spits in the face of one of the great Kingpin's there, makes fund of their computer illiteracy etcetera etcetera. I'm beginning to see why the script writers get paid so much. To me, these crappy plots which the general public seems to love, write themselves.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 10:16:50 AM

I would watch a movie like this  Grin

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
imrer

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 12:11:40 AM

Great! I hope it helps bitcoin. Smiley

Start your own casino site: » CoinDice | CoinWheel «
elektibi75

Activity: 326

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:39:35 AM

Well any publicity is a good publicity Cheesy

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
nthoangga

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

PLAYGAME.com

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:05:19 PM

There a lot of audience for that market. As Big Bang Theory is a big hit as well. You know how many nerds we have nowadays? Smiley))

──────⟩   PLAYGAME   ⟨──────
WhitepaperPowering real economy in the gaming worldOnepager
Telegram ENG / IND GroupChannel ⟩──● MediumTwitterYouTube
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 04:29:37 PM

Oh shit! Here comes an IF statement! *POW!*

Oh damn! Someone submitted a bug report! *WHAM!*

Moving from Texas to California! *UHAUL!*

Oh no! Forum drama! *TROLL!*

Oh crap! The fuzz! *OPEN DOOR*

The tension! They're about to arrest him! *LIBRARYYYYYYY!*   --  Shhhhhhh!!!!   --   *sorry*

Phewh! What a ride!

Personally, I fully expect them to totally screw up the whole "how computers and bitcoin works" thing. I doubt it will be as bad as Hackers, or how NCIS does it, but still.
MAbtc

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:24:26 PM

I'm looking forward to all the scenes of Ross mashing the keyboard in the library: coding, talking on the forums, establishing his DPR persona. What a gold mine, this movie script!  Roll Eyes
stash

Activity: 173

btcmy.net

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 06:14:14 PM

Wish to see some scene related to brainwallet action  Grin

Tehtarik Fund : 1KxyB3iauJzLvDnZuchekGkB2D7p4UMvuq
BTCitcoin : Mathematical Logic to Eliminate Human Greed
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:31:40 PM

Wish to see some scene related to brainwallet action  Grin
can't wait to see him recite his brainwallet pass phrase and then, voila! bitcoins moved. shit is gonna be such a fantastic movie!  Roll Eyes

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:36:03 PM

maybe they will focus in on the murder-for-hire thing.... that could make for a story.  Smiley

BitPappa

Activity: 431
Merit: 261

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 10:31:44 PM

After the Silk Road bust, I kept telling my cousin that, if they ever made a Silk Road movie, he should play the lead. Not only is he an actor, but he looks a LOT like Ross Ulbricht.

Well, now that a movie is in the works, I'm wondering if there's a chance my cousin might be able to audition for the roll. Not that any of you are the casting agent for the project, but here are a couple of comparison pics (I grabbed the photos from my cousin from his FB page). Do you see the resemblance?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: