News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How would you classify the citizens that helped bring down Silk road
Rats - 14 (38.9%)
Heros - 5 (13.9%)
Not a rat, but not a hero - 7 (19.4%)
No opinion - 5 (13.9%)
cooperated because they had no choice - 5 (13.9%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about those that helped bring Silk road down?  (Read 3534 times)
AceWallen

Activity: 479
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 08:23:31 PM

I havent heard one way or another here on bitcointalk, I was wondering what the consensus is.. Are they heros or rats?

Just curious.....

they are rats. the lowest scum there is. people will die in prison because of these snitch f**ks. they deserve every horrible thing coming to them.

and look at this http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=arrests_of_silk_road_users --> just the start of people going down. this is so messed up.

STOP SNITCHIN!
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
celestica

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:02:19 PM

I don't blame people at all who might have been pressured into giving information by FBI. I'd have done the same.

However, I get the sense that people giving info was not actually a major contributing factor to the crackdown and subsequent arrests. Seems more like people making basic errors that exposed them- like not encrypting messages, or handwriting labels on packages instead of typing them (that was a contributing factor to Nod's arrest). People got too comfortable, thinking using Tor and an anonymous currency was enough to keep them hidden. Even DPR. I think that's more to blame than anything.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 09:37:45 PM

Look at the US War on Drugs.  Laughable how badly they have failed.  Best to legalize it like they did booze.

Don't know if you've got kids or not. I have, and in your scenario the thought that when they are older they could pop out to a corner shop, buy some bread, milk and a big bag of heroin, fills me with unimaginable terror.

They can do that NOW, from the dealer hanging outside the corner shop. Only now, they risk getting killed before they can even take the heroin.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
beekeeper

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

LTC

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 09:42:54 PM

SilkRoad creator brought it down by the mistakes he did. Including lol idea with the hitmans. As someone said, if you get FBI at your door only option is to comply.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
beekeeper

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

LTC

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 09:54:34 PM

SilkRoad creator brought it down by the mistakes he did. Including lol idea with the hitmans. As someone said, if you get FBI at your door only option is to comply.
Well yes you're right.
He should have used the money and moved somewhere in some mountain in Asia and live in a hut where he would never be found again  Cheesy

I don't know about that, probably won't work, everybody on a radius of 100 km will know there is a white guy living on that mountain..

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 10:55:14 PM

Is there some information that this question is based on? I haven't heard about people helping to bring down Silk Road. Who helped?

Anyway, my position is that the destruction of Silk Road is good for Bitcoin, but it is bad for humanity.

Read the Maryland indictment.

The first person DPR allegedly took out a hit on was SR-affiliated and got busted, and apparently turned informant.  When DPR supposedly took out a hit on him, the guy he hired to do it turned out to be a fed.

The second was the FriendlyChemist guy, who supposedly tried to extort money from DPR.  DPR also communicated with someone (perhaps the same someone) purporting to be "redandwhite," one of FC's suppliers, to whom FC supposedly owed money.  Since it's not clear how these guys ended up being referenced in the criminal complaint, it is entirely possible one of them was also a federal informant, and/or both of them were the same person.  Again supposedly, the feds found this through monitoring the private messages at SR.

(If it turns out both of these guys, the Maryland indictment guy and FC/raw, were informants, DPR might have a defense on the murder solicitations, basically that there would have been no violent crime if it weren't for the feds manufacturing one--i.e. like the John DeLorean case.  He'll have a tougher time arguing that wrt the drug charges, though.)
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:39:54 AM

Look at the US War on Drugs.  Laughable how badly they have failed.  Best to legalize it like they did booze.

Don't know if you've got kids or not. I have, and in your scenario the thought that when they are older they could pop out to a corner shop, buy some bread, milk and a big bag of heroin, fills me with unimaginable terror.

Why terror?  Presumably you are ok with them buying fat, sugar, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, and various pain killers but you draw the line at heroin?  It used to be sold at local drug stores alongside cocaine and civilized society seemed to survive fine.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:41:23 AM

Are you really terrified that your kids are going to start shooting up? Be realistic.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 01:12:01 AM

Who should actually be filled with unimaginable terror as the drug war continues: people who live anywhere near, or in what could possibly be mistaken for, a drug dealer/user's home.

Gotta love drug search warrants being "mistakenly" executed at the homes of law-abiding gun/dog owners, who then proceed to become "collateral damage".

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:16:02 AM

The people who helped are rats.

The agents themselves are thieves and thugs.

They both aggressed against people who had victimized no one.

I'm grumpy!!
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:37:58 AM

Look at the US War on Drugs.  Laughable how badly they have failed.  Best to legalize it like they did booze.

If you have concern your kids may be dabbling in heroin, you should probably talk to them about it.

I'm sure they could get their hands on synthetic heroin if they tried anyways.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
ilovealtcoins

Activity: 1246
Merit: 263

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 03:21:48 AM

Why? I mean yeah currently heroin is currently seen as an extremely dangerous drug. But really that's just it's street form. When dealers "cut" heroin they cut it with agents that can cause diseases and such, but if it were legalized and regulated they would be getting "clean" heroin which is much safer then even morphine which is used around the world in hospitals today. Even in the UK they prescribe Diamorphine which is heroin without the brand name.

So yeah I get that it would be scary but really the only "danger" is becoming addicted and since it would be available at any corner shop it would be much easier to get.

Just saying... your worries are misguided.   
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: