Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:09:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Straight HODL vs Trading  (Read 1196 times)
Kambal2000

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 06:30:48 PM

Expectations. One of the problem that many of us here are dealing with.
Even with bitcoin, if only I had sold it at 20k dollars then I made a lot of profit now.
But as a holder you are expecting more specially when you have loads of it. You can feel every increase even if it is just for a dollar or a cent.

They say it is just because they are hoping for more. Well, I call that greed.  Grin
It is hard to learn to be satisfied, mostly traders have this kind of attitude, you always want more.
Exactly! That is why we don't need to rush things, we can still do better, price can still go up, if people did not withdraw their coins when the price hit $20k and we are still holding that time then maybe the normal price right now is $20k + but we cannot blame people, it is their choice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
supercanada1

Activity: 798
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 07:12:29 PM

I've never been good at trading, I HODL all my coins, plus I don't have time to sit around and execute or place sell/buy orders. I've made excellent money just holding good projects, ie.. $NANO, $NEO, $ETC, $ARK

Holding is the best strategies for all of us who are busy in somethings and can’t find way to monitor the market 24/7. Personally, I just buy good coins at a lower price, and sell if its already hit my target price. Either you trade or just hold, sure profit will come to you if you have your goal.
There is no doubt that the holding process is full of the profits and guaranteed profits but it must also be kept in mind that the amount of profit after the holding is very less than the one with we can get after the trading. The important thing here is how much time do you have for this market because if you are committed in the other things than it will be difficult for you to do the trading so go for the holding else you can trade for better profit.
Oilacris

Activity: 3010
Merit: 613

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 07:16:07 PM

What I mean by straight HODL is that your hold through the crashes and the rises until you inevitably cash our and by trading I mean that you hold for a few months and then sell into fiat and wait for the expected dip/recession.
What i've noticed over the past years is that if I was less greedy and just cashed out after a reasonable profit and then held until the inevitable crashed, I would have made much more money than if i just held or bought another coin. 

An example of this is when I bought eth at 475 and sold at 1380.  Right after I sold I bought ltc at 230 thinking that it was gonna skyrocket after some of the money from the eth will flow back into the other coins.  The problem with that was that the entire market crashed and so if I were to just hold my fiat i would have been able to easily double my money. 

Let me know what your guys's thoughts are on this.
This is always been part of the risk on this very volatile market which if we do think up some strategies either a straight hold or actively trading price movements would really fucked us up.Market would never be always our friend and there were decision have been made along the way which would be the reason for us to regret later on since we do realize that we do missed the best chance for us to make money and thinking that we can able to use those profits to diversify out into another coins.
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:46:11 AM

What I mean by straight HODL is that your hold through the crashes and the rises until you inevitably cash our and by trading I mean that you hold for a few months and then sell into fiat and wait for the expected dip/recession.
What i've noticed over the past years is that if I was less greedy and just cashed out after a reasonable profit and then held until the inevitable crashed, I would have made much more money than if i just held or bought another coin. 

An example of this is when I bought eth at 475 and sold at 1380.  Right after I sold I bought ltc at 230 thinking that it was gonna skyrocket after some of the money from the eth will flow back into the other coins.  The problem with that was that the entire market crashed and so if I were to just hold my fiat i would have been able to easily double my money. 

from your experience, I think you need to look more deeply for the ltc because I think litecoin still need too long before it could increase and I don't see that litecoin will go up in this short time. but I think you could still hold your litecoin until the price is up again and I hope that you still have another money in your wallet so you can continue to trade. but I see that you can make a lot of profit for selling ethereum and I guess you learn from your experience.

Yes LTC need more time to grow up, you have one more option to get back your loss that is day trading. LTC price is fluctuating b/w $10 - $20 so if you are a pro trader you can use this opportunity and slowly earn back your loss but this is too risky.
These altcoins have little buying prices and same little selling prices. As you have talked about LTC that it is in between $10-20. This is really risky to even trade in it. Because price fluctuations are so low that you can lose it if even little careens is shown.

Although buying prices are affordable for most of population but see the complexities they have. Go for smooth and easy bitcoins that have high fluctuations and easy trading.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 11:58:26 AM

Even with bitcoin, if only I had sold it at 20k dollars then I made a lot of profit now.
But as a holder you are expecting more specially when you have loads of it. You can feel every increase even if it is just for a dollar or a cent.

They say it is just because they are hoping for more. Well, I call that greed.  Grin
It is hard to learn to be satisfied, mostly traders have this kind of attitude, you always want more.
Exactly! That is why we don't need to rush things, we can still do better, price can still go up, if people did not withdraw their coins when the price hit $20k and we are still holding that time then maybe the normal price right now is $20k + but we cannot blame people, it is their choice.
Well, one thing I have come to know with the cryptocurrency space in general is that what you have as a huge value today may actually end up being a bottom tomorrow and a lot of people one day may wish that the market would even crash to $20,000 so they can buy lower after they have missed a good opportunity of buying now.

It is always what it is, and even if some people think it is all about selling and buying lower, you may end up making the wrong decision if you have no trading knowledge.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 01:07:00 PM

Well, one thing I have come to know with the cryptocurrency space in general is that what you have as a huge value today may actually end up being a bottom tomorrow and a lot of people one day may wish that the market would even crash to $20,000 so they can buy lower after they have missed a good opportunity of buying now.

That's always how things go. I remember how people when the market reached over the $1000 level gain last year, they thought it was the perfect moment to unload some profits. Instead, the price kept going up further in such a rapid manner, that holding was the only right option. Sellers, even when it was to secure profits, became losers after every week that passed.

After that, $2000 was the perfect time to sell, then $3000 was, then $4000, $5000, $6000, etc. It continued all the way till near the $20,000 level. That just shows how you should avoid selling any of your coins during an ongoing bull run, because it will very likely results in a bad ending. Securing profits will feel like you swallowed a loss in such scenario, which is a mental aspect of this market that people can't handle, especially when fomo starts to kick in. People just don't realize how brutal this market can be from time to time. It can give you a lot in the short term, but it can also take a lot away from you even faster if you can't handle the stress. Small fishes get eaten raw for breakfast in this market.
StarofBTC

Activity: 1148
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 11:08:52 AM

worth taking into account the emotional/time cost of trading regularly vs HODL.
Time is money of course
Holding is something which you can only do once you dint have need of having money on urgent basis and that you are comfortable with keeping your coins in your wallet for sufficiently greater time. however, trading is really a tough job to do and for that, you need to do all of efforts and hard work. It all depends on your personal capabilities as well as your daily routine and interest which can help you in deciding the things.
Hodling works for me; however I keep a certain stop-loss in mind depending on the coin, and try buying back more at a lower price.
Best approach it is for a person who don’t want to get indulged in complex calculations for profits and losses the whole day. All those are doing day trading, ask them about how their day spend? And you come to know about so sad comments.

They are bound to get connected with news and price charts because if they show even a little carelessness, all their hard effort can be on stake.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 11:18:40 AM

That is the risks involve. We don't know when the market will pump or dump. For now, I suggest that you hold your coins that you currently have and if you have more capital, take this opportunity to buy more coins. The crypto market is not green right now but I truly believe that this is just a trial in which when the market overcomes, will give us a stronger and more profitable industry.
None of us can know anything but we can at least use our sense, the indicators, the movements in the candle based on price action to know what to do. It is always good that whenever taking the step of trading, one should always have the knowledge but the truth is some may not even have the time, and would rather just hold for as long as they can without bothering themselves about what the market is going through since they already understand the volatility of the market and they have other better things to do.

In simple words from my experience, holding is the thing I am doing from day one and trading has become possible for me after gaining some knowledge on it. In same way, holding is for everyone and for any time but not trading.
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 11:51:32 AM

Yeah it might just turn out to be hog in cog that people will hold all the time. If they would have been holding even when the prices are dropping then, wow miracle will start happening in the crypto currency because it will make the prices of bitcoin grow and grow forever. Do we need proofs for such holding process ? Then imagine people from the old days when thy bought the bitcoin at couple of dollars and forgotten about it for years to come. Later I the time they found that they were millionaires because they just hit the jackpot when prices per coin were increased. That is the thing, when we know about it then we get nerve wrecked about it and when we dont know anything about it we are just playing around it. Thats why ignorance is bliss.
Sowik

Activity: 532
Merit: 327

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:08:01 PM

The so called "HODLERS" are people who cannot trade. Trading is much better than just holding lmao.
Ewox

Activity: 812
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:26:10 PM

For as long as you are not going to use or sell your coins yet at loss then just keep on holding it for now. It may have crashed currently but it will eventually recover back once the price becomes stable. I am actually at loss as of the moment but I am holding my coin for long term so I’m not that worried yet.
vicko27

Activity: 378
Merit: 2

Behind The Curve

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:57:04 PM

I experienced when I bought a doge in 60 and a few days the doge climbed up to 100 more but I have not sold, the wait may rise higher, it turns out the doge down now, there is a sense of regret. the most painful now I still hold NXT high price, if I sell NXT now my shadow I will be destroyed, I can only wait and rarely open the market.
I often experience late in selling and it happens repeatedly  Sad. "HOLD" Delayed profits
stepwilli

Activity: 1042
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:45:52 PM

It is always what it is, and even if some people think it is all about selling and buying lower, you may end up making the wrong decision if you have no trading knowledge.
That is the beauty of this market. There is always a way to get benefit out of the situation, whether it is the pump phase or dump and during both of them, there exist a community to take advantage of it. Indeed, decline is an opportunity for those who wish to join a specific crypto community. Digital coins have a bright future especially bitcoin can make a person really rich within two to three years, depending on the amount he invests in it.
GREATLOVE

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

Well, we all experienced great dump today and yes we can't totally avoid night mare at nights and we are all doubt of what we hold since the king of crypto and the reason of crushed. Well, mate we need to hold on until something great and good happens in the market.
Crypto_4eva

Activity: 72
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:52:41 PM

Hodling is ideal for long term coins. Selling also in profit allows continuous cash flow. Investing when prices are low to get higher profits.
Kevondo

Activity: 742
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 08:56:44 PM

Hodling is ideal for long term coins. Selling also in profit allows continuous cash flow. Investing when prices are low to get higher profits.
Holding is a part of long term trading if a person buys back his sold out asset at low price again. Similarly, selling out is also one of the activity of trading but if someone just plans to hold it for few years and then sell it out permanently, he should go for trading whether day trading or long term one. That can make his capital to rise more than just simple holding on. Trading is all about buying and selling at right time but that is difficult too.
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1158

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 02:50:31 PM

This is always been part of the risk on this very volatile market which if we do think up some strategies either a straight hold or actively trading price movements would really fucked us up.Market would never be always our friend and there were decision have been made along the way which would be the reason for us to regret later on since we do realize that we do missed the best chance for us to make money and thinking that we can able to use those profits to diversify out into another coins.
Trading is a huge risk, there is absolutely no doubt about that, but at the same time, it is a risk worth it as long as you can manage and handle yourself. No one was born as a trader, or with the skills to start analyzing charts, we all ended up learning at some point, gaining some experience afterwards, and getting good as time goes on.

As long as you are committed to learning, you will always end up making the best use of the market volatility, if not; straight hold is the best option.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
BarbieCasino

Activity: 612
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 07:11:36 PM

Holding is usually done with the coins where you have invested much of your money and you don’t want to lose anything with them. It is human psyche that we don’t want to give up soon on those things where the return is possible in huge amounts. Plus the holding is the most comfortable and tension free method of making wealth with virtual currencies because we know that they are bound to pump and dump.

BarbieCasino                  ▄▄▄       ▐▄
                 ▄████▄   ▄▄  █▄
               ▄▀██████  ▄ ▐█▄ ██
           ▄▀▀   █▀█████  █ ▐█ ▐█▌
      ▄▄▄█▀      ▐▌ ████▌ ▐█ █▌ ██
  ▄▄█████         █ █████  █ █▌ █▌
▐████████         ▐▄▐████ ▐▌ █  █
▐██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█████      ▐▀
      ▀███▌        ▀▀███
        ███▄
        ▐███
          ▀▀
p r o j e c t
p r o m o t i o n

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
                         ▄▀         ▀█
                        █▀       ▄██  █
                 ▐████▌ █  ███▄▄██▀   █
                 ▐▌     █▄  ▀███▀     █
                 ▐▌      ▀▄         ▄█
       ▄███▄     ▐▌        ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
       █████     ▐▌
       █████     ▐▌
     ▄▄█████▄▄   ▐▌        ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
                 ▐▌      ▀▀         ▀█
                 ▐▌     ▄▌  ███▄▄██   █
                 ▐█▀▀▀  █    ▀███▌    █
                        █▄  ███▀███   █
                         █▄         ▄█
                           ▀▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▀▀
Moderation
S e r i v c e

▓█
▓▓                           ▄▄▄
▓▓                            ▓██
▓▓                          ▄█  ▀
▓▓                █▓▄     ▄█
▓▓               █▀▀▀▀▀▀█▓▌
▓▓     ▐▓▓█▄   ▓▀
▓▓    ▄█    ▀▓▓▌
▓▓  ▄█▀
▓▓
▓▓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social media
  Network
Marketing
sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 09:58:00 AM

This is the biggest dilemma of this market rather it would be nice if we label it as the charm of this unique market. This produces thrill for the investors because they are never 100% sure about the future of their coins and the consistency of their particular prices.

Trading is basically a full time job and there are proper job specifications and descriptions for the trader for making profits and earning bonuses.
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 10:19:56 AM

I would only resort to HODLING purely when I have bought something during as its lowest point, typically this coins I bought are during ICO launch where you can buy them at its lowest. This is a privilege/advantage for people who have believe and trusted the project since the announcement of their token, I wouldn't have to worry about the dips or crashes as this is also an opportunity for me to buy more. Also I can sell whenever I want because even at a Dip is a profit for me. Buying at a good project has this kinds of benefits.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████