Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:26:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I GOT MY ETH STOLEN FROM COINDESK ARTICLE  (Read 222 times)
rasho321 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:12:29 PM

I went to coindesk website to read this article: https://www.coịndesk.com/EOS-halves-token-amount-for-block-one-leaves-tokens-to-be-claimed/
When I went to myetherwallet website I put my private key to claim the eos tokens, I went to this website https://myethėrwạllet.com/index.html and I put my private key and I got hacked my funds were stolen from this address: 0x1F3d766C0C3c8c085f3f8ca4612619cF51F15f50
3.8 ether has gone forever and It's 70% of my entire money

Please spread about this scam as soon as possible

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dhemasm

Activity: 1829
Merit: 134

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:16:16 PM

Your case same like this guy (Check there) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3123057.0 You got phised bro, I received that email too next time be carefull bro.

Note : Try to install etheraddresslookup from mew to prevent you visiting a phising website. Check their official tweet here : https://twitter.com/myetherwallet/status/883446432480546818
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:17:32 PM

Someone already got scammed the same way as you did this week...
It is important that you look very carefully where you are on the internet before doing an action.
Make a search if you have a doubt.
It is easy to be scammed.
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 04:50:29 PM

It is so sad to hear that you are not aware of the websites you visit and just randomly throwing out private keys in the phishing website. You are solely the one who is responsible for losing of your funds. It is clear that, MEW has too much of phishing sites to steal the funds of users. You should have double checked your url before entering your private key. The site has clearly said to bookmark https://www.myetherwallet.com/ and you would be seeing a MEW security in green near your address bar.

Before entering a private key in a website you should have atleast used metamask, so that it could have offered some help. At least from now on, try to be aware of phishing sites and real sites and try to use a ledger in the future.

IsuruMaduranga

Activity: 182
Merit: 7

Block chain enthusiast

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:55:56 PM

1.Bookmark https://www.myetherwallet.com once and forever. Don't go to the site using link any other than your bookmark.
2.Use EtherAddressLookup extention.
3.Don't use private key or keystore file to open your wallet. Always use Metamask extention.

You'll be perfectly safe.  Smiley

☆ FLUX ☆
GAMING ECOSYSTEM
17 - 24 April Public Sale
Lukefreemaan

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 05:06:14 PM

Sorry to hear you lost your ETH. You need to be more careful. Bookmark any sites that may hold your funds such as MEW and exchanges. As Crypto attracts more and more people, unfortunately the amount of people looking to scam will increase.
deevan

Activity: 238
Merit: 7

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 05:45:18 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 06:05:27 PM by deevan

yes, dude, you are phished, if you notice the URL you mentioned for myetherwallet, there is a dot(.) above 'e' & below 'a'. I have installed EtherAddressLookup (EAL), Cryptonite & Metamask chrome extensions to block phishing sites, but I think this fake website is not still analyzed by any of these chrome extensions because I visited this fake website and not a single extension blocked them.  Shocked So it is highly recommended never click a random link that directs to myetherwallet neither search via google to visit. Just bookmark the official website and only visit through that. I reported this fake URL to myetherwallet & metamask on twitter, so their extension can block it.
IloveDigibyte

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

POS / PRIMENODES

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 05:49:42 PM

The first thing everyone see when open https://www.myetherwallet.com/ is in red: 1. BOOKMARK MYETHERWALLET.COM      2. INSTALL EAL or MetaMask or Cryptonite
I think you should blame no one but yourself, for that.

khendjer

Activity: 157
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:56:52 PM

I went to coindesk website to read this article: https://www.coịndesk.com/EOS-halves-token-amount-for-block-one-leaves-tokens-to-be-claimed/
When I went to myetherwallet website I put my private key to claim the eos tokens, I went to this website https://myethėrwạllet.com/index.html and I put my private key and I got hacked my funds were stolen from this address: 0x1F3d766C0C3c8c085f3f8ca4612619cF51F15f50

The worst thing in your situation is that you've been phished for two times in a row which I think can be called a serial phishing attack. As far as I've understood your ETH has been stolen not via the coindesk article but via the fake copy (coịndesk actually is not coindesk). You visited the fake coindesk website at first and while considering it as a real one, you probably saw no reasons to doubt while following to the fake MEW website. The article on the fake coindesk website was also spreading a FOMO about airdrop and might made you hurry up so you were less attentive. The hackers also managed to make a good copies of the website and got ssl certificates somehow which also could helped them a lot to trick you.

It's good that you decided to share your experience and tell about your losses because phishing attacks become more and more tricky with every day passed. The only weapon against them is attentiveness and double or even triple checks.

It's interesting, where did you get that first link to the fake coindesk website?

jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:11:35 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 11:33:39 PM by jhenfelipe

The best way you can do to avoid phishing websites is to type the URL MANUALLY in the address bar and still double check. DO NOT click external links.

That is the new tactic of hackers/phishing sites, using the original spelling of the URL, BUT the letters used have special characters. Not checking the URL twice or more make your account at risk. The link you've visited have a dot under letter i on fake coindesk plus above letter e and under letter a on fake MEW. You might encounter the same in the future or even worst, so be extra careful from now on.

I reported the domains in EtherAddressLookup chrome extension.

EDIT:
It's interesting, where did you get that first link to the fake coindesk website?
Most likely in his email account. I received a spam email from an account pretending to be Coindesk regarding "EOS Launches Airdrop, Cuts Block.one", since it was on spam folder, images and links are disabled. Also I'm not into visiting links from email, unless verification emails from trusted sources.
Rostock

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:16:53 PM

In this case, from the loss of your funds with your wallet, I think you should get a second wallet for participation in airdrop and other things, as now a lot of scams. Or you can purchase the best wallet TREZOR, although even with him I would create a second wallet.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:32:35 PM

There are many phishing site which looks exactly like the real website ,so you always be careful what you are dealing with,make sure you bookmark the site before entering your private key,it is really unfortunate and these scam sites are coming up because these scammers know that since this is a new platform they will get innocent people like you.
heritage35

Activity: 462
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:39:14 PM

As regards all the information and stories i have heard and read about on phishing sites, if there is any thing i have always been careful about, is the visiting of sites that i have not used before or that others that i know of, have not used successfully.
There are many phishing sites flowing on the net, once you clicked ther, you get phished and scammed.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:40:12 PM

Man this sucks... make sure to bookmark it or download it via github and use it in that form. Always be careful, scammers are getting cleaver day by day because there are no charge backs. At least thanks for sharing this story and spreading awareness to other people to take care.
pedropendukot

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:50:33 PM

Tsk,you could have installed metamask extension so your browser will block those potential phishing sites.I have been using this extension for ayear and it always prompted me if the website that i clicked is a potential phishing site,that is why i wont get phished by these greedy people.Metamask extension is recommended by the mew itself,because its going to secure your private keys whenever you are using these decentralized exchanges.

pooque

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:03:10 PM

Tsk,you could have installed metamask extension so your browser will block those potential phishing sites.I have been using this extension for ayear and it always prompted me if the website that i clicked is a potential phishing site,that is why i wont get phished by these greedy people.Metamask extension is recommended by the mew itself,because its going to secure your private keys whenever you are using these decentralized exchanges.
I strongly agreed,metamask extension would be the perfect anti- phishing extension for your browsers it is so powerful that it could block all of the potential phishing sites,i was saved by this extension a couple times already prompted me not to get in because it is a potential scam/phishing site,and it saves a lot of wallet from getting hacked.

Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:07:08 PM

yes, dude, you are phished, if you notice the URL you mentioned for myetherwallet, there is a dot(.) above 'e' & below 'a'. I have installed EtherAddressLookup (EAL), Cryptonite & Metamask chrome extensions to block phishing sites, but I think this fake website is not still analyzed by any of these chrome extensions because I visited this fake website and not a single extension blocked them.  Shocked So it is highly recommended never click a random link that directs to myetherwallet neither search via google to visit. Just bookmark the official website and only visit through that. I reported this fake URL to myetherwallet & metamask on twitter, so their extension can block it.

I have 'Netcraft Extension' installed and a fake myetherwallet site is blocked in my chrome browser. For fake coịndesk[dot]com, although not blocked, shows high risk level (risk rating score: 10). I don't believe that there is absolutely reliable protection from phisihing because new scam sites appear almost daily. Using some common sense is the best protection.
hiwainmoto

Unibright Token Launch - 10th April 2018

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:26:26 PM

yes, dude, you are phished, if you notice the URL you mentioned for myetherwallet, there is a dot(.) above 'e' & below 'a'. I have installed EtherAddressLookup (EAL), Cryptonite & Metamask chrome extensions to block phishing sites, but I think this fake website is not still analyzed by any of these chrome extensions because I visited this fake website and not a single extension blocked them.  Shocked So it is highly recommended never click a random link that directs to myetherwallet neither search via google to visit. Just bookmark the official website and only visit through that. I reported this fake URL to myetherwallet & metamask on twitter, so their extension can block it.

I have 'Netcraft Extension' installed and a fake myetherwallet site is blocked in my chrome browser. For fake coịndesk[dot]com, although not blocked, shows high risk level (risk rating score: 10). I don't believe that there is absolutely reliable protection from phisihing because new scam sites appear almost daily. Using some common sense is the best protection.
I am using metamask extension because it is the extension that myetherwallet has recommended,i wont be using any of those extensions from unknown people or developer because it could be the reason why my tokens and ethereum would be stolen,use only those recommended by the legit website like myetherwallet.com.

cryptomarijuana

Create Your Decentralized Life

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:37:50 PM

If you have installed metamask extension you wotm be fooled by that fake website,phishing sites and potential scam sitesa re being blocked by metamask in your browser that is why it is really recommended by the experts and the myetherwallet itself,because this will secure your private keys from getting stolen by these phishing sites.

billyj111

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

Deal Coin - P2P Lending Eco-system

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:45:59 PM

It's very good that you wrote this here so that nobody else got into it anymore,  be more careful and glad that it's only 3.8 eeth, not 3800

The Deal Coin      BLOCKCHAIN LENDING PLATFORM                   
FACEBOOK     PRE-SALE | March 26th  ]     TWITTER     [ CROWDSALE | April 16th ]     TELEGRAM
ANN THREAD          ⚫          BOUNTY THREAD          ⚫          WHITEPAPER
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: