Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:22:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin heading to 1000 which alts will survive?  (Read 5144 times)
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:38:33 AM

The more that bitcoin goes up, the more likely it is that money will spill over into the 'alt-coins', thereby increasing the chances of more of these coins.

All of the coins are just copy and paste versions of bitcoin with some parameters altered or changed, and there are people trying to magnify that one parameter changed makes a coin better than the parameter changes of another coin.

If Bitcoin is being successful, then all of the coins are replicas of bitcoin, and all of them have a chance at being successful as well.

If bitcoin goes to $1000, then I think that more people will look for cheaper alternatives to invest into.

Why? Why will people look for cheaper alternatives? Bitcoin is divisible to 8 decimal places meaning people can still invest even if they've only got $50. There's no need to go to altcoins. If 1 bitcoin costs $1000 and Bob wants to invest $50, he just buys 0.05 bitcoins. When the bitcoin price doubles to $2000 four years later, Bob's bitcoin are now (theoretically) worth $100.

The more people see bitcoin success story, the less they will want altcoins.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:51:17 AM

The more that bitcoin goes up, the more likely it is that money will spill over into the 'alt-coins', thereby increasing the chances of more of these coins.

All of the coins are just copy and paste versions of bitcoin with some parameters altered or changed, and there are people trying to magnify that one parameter changed makes a coin better than the parameter changes of another coin.

If Bitcoin is being successful, then all of the coins are replicas of bitcoin, and all of them have a chance at being successful as well.

If bitcoin goes to $1000, then I think that more people will look for cheaper alternatives to invest into.

Why? Why will people look for cheaper alternatives? Bitcoin is divisible to 8 decimal places meaning people can still invest even if they've only got $50. There's no need to go to altcoins. If 1 bitcoin costs $1000 and Bob wants to invest $50, he just buys 0.05 bitcoins. When the bitcoin price doubles to $2000 four years later, Bob's bitcoin are now (theoretically) worth $100.

yeah btc fanbois keep telling this to themselves, but the rest of the world doesn't really want to deal in fractions of btc, and higher btc gets the more dangerous it is to use as a currency (huge swings create too much currency risk, and lets not goto oh but xyz 3rd party site etc solves this).

bitcion success story to most people is purely as a trade tool and the higher it is vs USD the greater its percieved success, yet its next to useless for its original intended purpose.

guess alot of the anti alts crowd haven't actually used alts, cause after using a few alts, btc feels like a painful dinosaur to use.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:05:12 AM

I think that all of them will continue to decline against BTC if it goes parabolic. XPM and PPC reversed the trend for a short time, but everything has pretty consistently fallen as BTC has risen.
VforVictory

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:09:52 AM

I think that all of them will continue to decline against BTC if it goes parabolic. XPM and PPC reversed the trend for a short time, but everything has pretty consistently fallen as BTC has risen.

And they will rise when BTC falls, as has happened time and time again.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:17:09 AM

And they will rise when BTC falls, as has happened time and time again.
not always. i was holding ltc for a while and it was frustrating actually to watch it fall repeatedly -- both when btc rose and when it fell. sucks to be a bagholder sometimes.

romerun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:51:49 AM

not always true, I was there when btc rising from $13 and ltc continued dropping, but when it hit the bottom (0.002ish at that time) it started to rally up to 0.04. So I think if a coin has future, it will just hit bottom but in case of crap coins they will just die miserably.

Btc will reach $1000 in a yearish, reason is it's so obvious how could one cannot see that, omg!!! Once a coin goes mainstream and I believe btc does, the growth is exponential. It's true that growth cannot be expo forever, at some points it will slow down, look at gold for example.

But we have just reached 2B cap and not really got into mainstream adult / drug / gambling/ sinful industries, we must have a long long way to go. Once the mainstream legit businesses take it (think ebay, google play store, las vegas, not mom&pop coffee shop), btc should not worth less than visa, because not only it can transmit wealth, but it can also store and what not other features.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:11:56 AM

i know it's not always true. just saying, sucks to be holding ltc when btc is falling and.... you expect value of ltc to rise, then it doesn't. Just sayin....

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:31:40 AM

Transaction fees. At the moment the transaction fee on bitcoin is lowish - about $0.08. But compare to Devcoin which has set it's transaction fee extremely low, so that it's about $0.000056. Once bitcoin hits $1000, some parts of teh world will be looking for something which is friendlier to micro-transactions.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 03:07:45 AM

yeah btc fanbois keep telling this to themselves, but the rest of the world doesn't really want to deal in fractions of btc, and higher btc gets the more dangerous it is to use as a currency (huge swings create too much currency risk, and lets not goto oh but xyz 3rd party site etc solves this).

bitcion success story to most people is purely as a trade tool and the higher it is vs USD the greater its percieved success, yet its next to useless for its original intended purpose.

guess alot of the anti alts crowd haven't actually used alts, cause after using a few alts, btc feels like a painful dinosaur to use.

Are you being funny? Alt coins have the biggest swings of all! That's about the only reason they get any attention, because of manipulating traders like fontas.

Also, the more bitcoins become pervasive and valuable, the SMALLER the swings will be as percent of a bitcoin's value. Its economics 101.

What feels painful about bitcoin? The longer confirms? That is the only observable difference, and its a security feature. But who's got time for security.  Roll Eyes

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 03:18:11 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=314547.0

Litecoin might hit $1000 first, because they just do Smiley

SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 05:40:05 AM

Seems like XPM will survive, as it is not too affected from BTC jump in price. The other alt's might fall or scrap the bottom of the tank, as most don't prove anything beneficial as XPM potential. Even if an Alt provides services, healthy network and good dev support, most of the time it still doesn't help an alt retain value. Until an alt get's on Mt. Gox and/or go mainstream in another way, it will never compete against BTC.

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:25:06 AM

YaCoin obviously. It's just waiting there for the other to die.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
hypersire

Activity: 596

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:34:02 PM

Great thread! I got into alt coins back in April when BTC crashed from $260. Right now I'm mainly in BTC but I am also speculating heavily on both PPC (Peer to Peer Coin) and CGB (Cryptogenic Bullion).

As BTC rises, I think there will be a spillover into some of the alts that could possibly end up bringing a 1,000 - 3,000 % return! For example, if BTC is at $1,000, is it not feasible that PPC could be trading at $9? The PPC marketcap would still be small compared to BTC, yet the coin would have appreciated much more than BTC due to the much lower current price.

I went with PPC and CGB due to the POS (Proof of Stake) scheme instead of POW (Proof of Work). I can see energy consumption being a negative for Bitcoin and a positive for POS coins in the future.
ASICSRUS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:51:50 PM

DGC bouncing a bit here!~ the name seems like an obvious winner!  Grin

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 07:14:59 PM

DGC is down 80% since IPO level...
And it's been straight down since early August... just wow!

You read the DGC thread and it's all hardcore propaganda...
No talk of price or any problems whatsoever = Heavily Moderated, baby?
Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 07:25:57 PM

i just can't imagine any of the alts retaining much of their value..... we'll see if/when btc goes parabolic!
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:07:41 AM

Primecoin has a scientific reason to survive.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 03:12:24 AM

First 5 -6 notable today and probably two -three which will be invented after. Root reason: human psychology.  Cheesy

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
r32godzilla

Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:59:04 AM

DGC is down 80% since IPO level...
And it's been straight down since early August... just wow!

You read the DGC thread and it's all hardcore propaganda...
No talk of price or any problems whatsoever = Heavily Moderated, baby?

Everything is down including dgc. There is no propaganda. Dgc has one of the best chances to succeed given its dev, services and investment including the upcoming CryptoAve exchange.

I seem to remember you bagging dgc in some other threads. Sounds like your just trying to spread FUD because your bagholding some other crapcoin.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin.....ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..
█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.Telegram....
Vivisector999

Activity: 541

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:47:14 PM

I like the concept of XPM, but it's not quite scientific, as it's capped in height for how large of a Prime number it's looking for (from what I have read).  I have my hopes on Gridcoin myself (lol, I'm not yet mining it either).  But always looking towards a coin that is actually putting some of it's calculating power on benefiting mankind.

Aside from that, I really don't see the rise in the price of BTC doing anything but helping Altcoins, as it will bring more people into Cryptocurrencies in general, and not just into BTC.  I do however think that the continual alt coin creation needs to stop, unless something is truly a breakthrough, on unique.  I honestly think we need some sweeper 51% attacker to kill all the coins if they fall below say 1 Mh/s for more than a week.  It's just silly seeing 20+ coins started everyday, that have no dev support, and very few if any service ideas. 

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: