Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:31:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lightning Rod" - a Bitcoin WiFi router concept  (Read 146 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2018, 03:11:45 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I had the idea of a "crypto router" back in 2016 (and some work had taken place on it in late 2016 and early 2017) but unfortunately things did not work out with the plan and it basically came to a halt (the original idea was a little different to what I am presenting here but not all that different).

I have given up on trying to find any business partners to work on this idea now and so am simply going to outline the concept for others to run with if they think they can make it happen (don't ask me for any help or funds though as that is not on offer - am just giving away the idea).

The home (or small business) WiFi router is about the least shiny but still mass-market computer related product that we have (normally kept either pretty much out of sight or somewhere that is not very noticeable) and therefore IMO one that has a huge potential for improvement. The improvements can be both in its UI, its functionality and its general appearance (i.e. make it a lot more attractive for a start so it becomes a "show piece" rather than just a boring box with some flashing LEDs that is only inspected when your internet seems to be dead).

The first idea I had about how the router can change to become a far more important device could be to add entertainment features into it (as they can all have a web UI which can be easily tweaked and improved then why not make it a music and video playing device that is accessible to every other device connected via a browser for a start). But the far more interesting idea that I had (when I realised that the Lightning Network was going to be the future for Bitcoin) is to turn the router into a Lightning Node (with a catchy name like perhaps "Lightning Rod" or "Leyden Jar" or Huh).

For merchants who so far haven't accepted Bitcoin payments but are becoming interested in doing so (and maybe not just wanting to immediately convert that BTC into fiat as was the case with the first wave of merchant adoption) this could be the easiest way for them to do this whilst at the same time helping to make the Lightning Network more decentralised (just imagine the impact if a large franchise encouraged all of its franchisees to install such devices).

One of things that people might not have realised was that pretty much *all* publicly located WiFi devices were found to be insecure last year and so are going to need to be updated this year (hence the right time to be creating this device is *now*).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dreamteam17

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 04:34:09 PM

very interesting idea, I've never heard of it before, it's unusual but super)
warrior333

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 04:39:54 PM

This idea has no prospect of success. Until 2020, Elon Musk wants to build its network of high-speed satellite Internet that will be available anywhere in the world. Internet will be free but it will need to purchase the device at a price of 100 to 300 dollars. I think this is a more promising project. Some satellites are already in orbit.
zahirjan

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 04:41:52 PM

wow nice concept
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 09:40:15 PM

Really interesting idea. I thought it over a few times, and found out another idea.
Why to change the WIFI routers, firmware, OS, etc? There are WIFI routers that belong to the internet service providers, so sometimes the end user is not allowed to change the configuration at all.
The original idea is still interesting, but what if you (or anyone) develop a USB stick style device? Every (or most) WIFI router nowdays have a USB connection for printers, USB thumb drives, etc...
If someone develop a USB stick that works as a lightning hub, it would solve the problem in an easier way. (like nowdays it's possible to install a lightweight LN hub on a Raspberry PI, which is larger than a USB stick but time will solve the problem of the size). Or, the device itself doesn't need to connect to the USB port of the router, just to the LAN port for connection and some power from a power source and that's all. (Like the PI).
Just an idea...
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 02:37:08 PM

This idea has no prospect of success. Until 2020, Elon Musk wants to build its network of high-speed satellite Internet that will be available anywhere in the world. Internet will be free but it will need to purchase the device at a price of 100 to 300 dollars. I think this is a more promising project. Some satellites are already in orbit.

Well let's see how that goes but so far he has shown very little interest in Bitcoin so I very much doubt that his device will be a Lightning Node as I described.

Also bear in mind that his Tesla company doesn't even make a profit and now there are many competitors (so you might find Elon is actually not able to do much at all by 2020 as he might be broke).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: