Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:49:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I generated an address that already exists  (Read 9114 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 08:59:30 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2013, 09:40:48 AM by marcus_of_augustus

Are you *sure* you didn't own that address already?

If not, it is VASTLY more probable you (and however generated this address before) just unearthed a bug in bitcoin's PRNG. Could you give more details - which OS and OpenSSL you have installed?

I find it *extremely* hard to believe you actually caused a collision. Not now, not in a 1000 years.

This.

Bad PRNG is more likely than collision. And we have had at least one corrupted RNG de-bugs thrown up by Bitcoin already, so it's got form.

OpenSSL on linux has had issues with generating weak keys in the past http://perimetergrid.com/wp/2008/05/17/ubuntudebian-crng-cracked-ssh-vulnerable/ .... and also it has been mentioned that introducing compromised code to produce weak keys via bad RNGs is an attack used by the spooks (for communication interception).

How well can OpenSSL ECC keys generation really be trusted? Does it depend on version of OpenSSL, use of underlying RNG, OS, etc? Is anyone testing this for bitcoin specific key generation?

(That whole crap fight over ECC not going into RH-derivative linux OpenSLL module makes me smell smoke ... maybe it was never about the patent non-problem?)

Edit: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/random_number_b.html

Back when the NSA was routinely weakening commercial cryptography, their favorite technique was reducing the entropy of the random number generator.
History doesn't repeat but it sure does rhyme sometimes ...

Jabbatheslutt

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:11:40 AM

Wasn't there a reward being offered to the first person to do this?
JakeGold

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:18:30 AM

Couldn't I hypothetically create a script that systematically generates bitcoin addresses from the pregenerate pool and have the script lookup the generated address to see if the wallet is active with a balance then choose to spend this into a new wallet address?

It's called address trawling, but if you could wrap your head around how statistically improbable you are to find a wallet with a balance, even scanning millions of addresses per second, you'd go buy a lotto ticket instead.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:21:41 AM

It is so improbable that if it really happened it's alarming...

rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:25:18 AM

That shouldn't be very probable, should it?

I used Bitcoin Qt client, pressed "New address" button to generate the address, sent a small amount to it and then checked on blockchain.info if the transaction was registered. To my surprise there are two other transactions made over a year ago using that address.

https://blockchain.info/address/1J9UHx3q9D1ZxZ5KwV8VGWJd7ksyTJtLTB

1. What OS and version of the client are you using? Could be a previously unknown bug in the random number generator.

2. Also, verify that you do own the private key to that address. Try to send that 0.1 BTC to another address of yours.

This, please verify the ownership.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:54:25 AM

Yep, looks like he owns it ... shit this is not good for Bitcoin Qt Sad

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:27:35 AM

If true talk about no bueno...no bueno whatsoever!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:29:21 AM

A coredev should look into this ASAP...
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:40:22 AM

Bad PRNG or user error
/thread

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:55:03 AM

Finally it means that two address owners share the same address with different private keys. Then where are tansfers going to ?
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:05:22 PM

Finally it means that two address owners share the same address with different private keys. Then where are tansfers going to ?

Anyone with a private key to a public address can spend coins transferred to that address. If two people hold a private key with the same public address, they can both spend the coins.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:05:56 PM

Finally it means that two address owners share the same address with different private keys.
It doesn't mean this

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:37:06 PM

Guys could you please actually read the thread before posting? This is not a bad PRNG and NOT an address collision. This is a problem with the OP's wallet. It is recycling old addresses he has already used:

Open up the debug console (help->debug window->console), type in:

gettransaction 5aed0ce301ecd17b237be9bd0dda7fa8fb7e2eb7f453c2ca1f27de160a23c791

If it returns that old transaction then that key was already in the wallet when that transaction hit your client.

When I do this, I see some transaction info. I didn't restore my wallet.

Still, I don't understand what you mean by saying it's always an old address from the keypool.

When I press "New address" button does it generate a brand new address that no one used before?
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:39:11 PM

This is the one thing that can't happen.

BlackBison

Activity: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:49:22 PM

Wow... didn't think it would ever happen

It didn't happen  Grin

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 12:58:37 PM

hmm this sort of act is what causes me to download the original qt client.  Now I'm on the hunt to build a script IDK about the statistics anymore.

Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:12:34 PM

Why not ? When I use https://www.bitaddress.org offline it can theoretically produce the same addresses. Is there anything preventing this szenario ?
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:30:02 PM

Why not ? When I use https://www.bitaddress.org offline it can theoretically produce the same addresses. Is there anything preventing this szenario ?

I can theoretically be teleported to Mars because of quantum tunelling
Would you respond "Why not ?Is there anything preventing this szenario ?" to someone telling me "it can't happen" ?

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:01:02 PM

My bet is Bitcoin-Qt went haywire and used a change address. Roll Eyes  For whoever asked the keypool size is 100  Wink but it can be changed by the user.

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:04:49 PM

@OP: did your wallet balance increase when you generated that address? If not, then it's a previous address of yours. If it did, err, wow…
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: