Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 08:07:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SteamOS - Oh fucking god no  (Read 2227 times)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 12:00:31 PM

Oh, the drama is strong in this one.
I think that this is only to make things more beautiful and have a better integration with Steam and the Steam Hardware, nothing special like the Chrome OS.
What I was really thinking is how they will make this SteamOS run Windows Games, since probably 100% of the games on Steam are at least for Windows. Using WINE is not their best option, not a professional one at least.

Perhaps developers now have an incentive to start developing for Linux Tongue

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:14:30 PM

You are clueless. SteamOS gives developers a reason to create games for Linux. Linux > Windows, if there are the same number of apps & games available.
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

Sacrilege against Lord Gaben?!  Huh

Fuck Valve fanbois Tongue

You're probably better off sticking with Origin, OP. (lol) I don't think you were expecting so much interest from this community in a gaming platform that is linux based. Ironically, they also happen to be into bitcoin.

Edit: EA makes some fine software. Switch to Origin~ I wouldn't mind. haha
wiggi

Activity: 403
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:36:37 PM

Valve isn't dumb enough to enforce always on, they will rather hand out incentives.
I wouldn't want a game publisher at the OS level... but SteamOS + dual boot
or SteamOS in living room HTPC is fine (to separate Steam stuff and fixed-exe stuff Wink
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:12:13 PM

Well, I'll be testing it. It's free so I have nothing to lose. But, I don't know if I will be keeping it installed.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:43:33 AM

Sacrilege against Lord Gaben?!  Huh

You're probably better off sticking with Origin, OP. (lol) I don't think you were expecting so much interest from this community in a gaming platform that is linux based. Ironically, they also happen to be into bitcoin.

I don't know if your compliment of EA is meant to be sarcastic, or if you have no idea what a GOOD game is.
maursader

Activity: 509

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 03:00:12 PM

Sacrilege against Lord Gaben?!  Huh

I don't know if your compliment of EA is meant to be sarcastic, or if you have no idea what a GOOD game is.

Well my internet friend, my complaint of EA was meant to be sarcastic. Terrible software coding, terrible software distro platform. Terrible Sim City game. Terrible terrible terrible. Now, EA has released some great titles (assuming they work.) I love Medal of Honor, and fortunately, that works. I also liked Sim City (keyword liked.) They killed it for me. Anyway, whether I know if a game is good to you or not is irrelevant anyway. I could easily turn around and say, you have no idea what a GOOD game is, surely with the fact that your game choices don't line up with mine, or my work friends, or my steam friends. Come on man, wake up lol; this isn't about to become a debate if Steam >= Origin.

Keeping things on topic here, SteamOS is welcomed, and I'm pretty pumped to try it.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:37:29 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 04:48:57 PM by MakeBelieve

Further research into the steam os I don't think I will be using it after all. It doesn't look very user friendly in my opinion either.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:52:16 PM

Further research into the steam os I don't think I will be using it after all. It doesn't look very user friendly in my opinion either.

What's your research? You kind of told us that you did research but didn't further elaborate why it's not user friendly.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:21:28 PM

Most likely anyone able to use the Steam interface will be also able to use SteamOS.
Just because has Linux beneath the interface doesn’t mean you’ll need to take lessons to use it.
From what I understand it will be something like Big Picture on Steam, we'll see...

Heck, Playstation 3 is using some weird/obscure BSD branch as OS, and yet every moron on the planet can use it...yep, even me  Tongue
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:44:38 PM

Can anyone explain how the SteamOS is anything more than a streaming service that uses your desktop to run the game and just relays it to your tv?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: