Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:52:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: And if half of the miners turn off their hardwares ?  (Read 2910 times)
bitcoinator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:53:25 AM

Mining a block takes 10 minutes in average. But it may take 10 seconds or 10 weeks as well. Did anybody make a calculation, what's the probability that it will take a week to mine a single block under normal conditions (i. e. when difficulty is adequate to the total hashing power)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inform

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 10:05:44 AM

i Rusia

my pc configuration

1 gigagers
1 ram memor gb
32 video

lol

you hapy if make

akes 10 minute

i cry  Roll Eyes
bitcoinator

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:16:12 AM

I meant it takes 10 minutes for the whole network of course, not for individual miner.
cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:28:10 AM

Avage block time would be 20 minutes for a few weeks, then back to normal.

This, then our difficulty would be half and everyone would celebrate.

Why? Higher the better.

The lower the better Smiley

algorista (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:45:15 PM

Mining a block takes 10 minutes in average. But it may take 10 seconds or 10 weeks as well. Did anybody make a calculation, what's the probability that it will take a week to mine a single block under normal conditions (i. e. when difficulty is adequate to the total hashing power)?

I've seen many guesses and opinions about but a real calculation done by someone who understands the subject has not yet been done, or at least published.

+---------=====[ Rm 12:21 ]=====---------+
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:23:34 PM

I've seen many guesses and opinions about but a real calculation done by someone who understands the subject has not yet been done, or at least published.

Bitcoin mining is a poisson distribution.  It is far easier to just use a poisson distribution calculator (online, graphing calculator, mathematica).

In 1 hour the expected # of events (blocks) is 6.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is ~1.7%
In 2 hours the expected # of events (blocks) is 12.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is ~0.01%

In 24 hours the expected # of events (blocks) is 144.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is essentially 0  (4.198 E-61)

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:32:48 PM

In 24 hours the expected # of events (blocks) is 144.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is essentially 0  (4.198 E-61)

So you're saying there's still a chance?
 Grin
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:36:36 PM

In 1 hour the expected # of events (blocks) is 6.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is ~1.7%
In 2 hours the expected # of events (blocks) is 12.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is ~0.01%

Using the same numbers you can say:

1 hour block times should happen approximately once every 58 hours.
2 hour block times should happen approximately once every 80 days.
1 day block times should happen approximately once every 8*1045 universe lifetimes (34 billion years).
Morbid
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 05:38:47 PM

im more worried about operation involving governmental agencies around the globe shutting down most major pools at once. we need to be more concerned aboud pool safety imho.
algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:16:41 AM

im more worried about operation involving governmental agencies around the globe shutting down most major pools at once. we need to be more concerned aboud pool safety imho.

+1

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:33:53 AM

it wouldn't be pleasant but it wouldn't be the end of the world ether. most miners would just operate without a pool, even with out expecting to profit monetarily just to spite the ass holes who attacked their pools. i know i surely would and if you took a pole I'm willing to bet it would corroborate my claim.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:09:07 AM

I think the greed is destroying the decentralization of Bitcoin with an excessive concentration in the pools.
But that still does not have have a simple solution.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:24:31 AM

I think the greed is destroying the decentralization of Bitcoin with an excessive concentration in the pools.

Pools are no more concentrated than they were two years ago.  If anything they are marginally less concentrated and a significantly higher solo %.
algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:39:39 AM

Pools are no more concentrated than they were two years ago.  If anything they are marginally less concentrated and a significantly higher solo %.

We have a historical record of this information? an chart would be great to understand that.

My reasoning when I made the statement is grounded *also* on the following link.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool

Quote from: link
Decentralized payout pooling solves the problem of centralized mining pools degrading the decentralization of Bitcoin and avoids the risk of hard to detect theft by pool operators.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:30:11 AM

The moment that centralization became an issue people would switch to less populated pools and the network would become less centralized and the problem would self correct. Thats the beauty of the situation. the equipment that is operating these pools is spread all over the world and can firctionlessly move between pools so the appearance of centralization that we see from that pi chart up there is very misleading.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
algorista (OP)

It's got electrolytes

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:01:28 AM

The moment that centralization became an issue people would switch to less populated pools and the network would become less centralized and the problem would self correct. Thats the beauty of the situation. the equipment that is operating these pools is spread all over the world and can firctionlessly move between pools so the appearance of centralization that we see from that pi chart up there is very misleading.

That is a good point to think about, but often people can not see beyond their options, they just choose whichever is easier and profitable for them.
A larger pool means gains more stable and therefore there is a tendency of centralization over the years.

Morbid
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:17:53 AM

if you leave the biggest pool alive and pull the plug on three smaller pools at the same time then you pretty much gonna have 51% attack...
bitcoinator

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:25:50 AM

Whew. Thank you very much, this answers my question :-)
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 07:44:45 AM

It's a trivial calculation, and numbers have been published multiple times.

Bitcoin mining is a poisson distribution.  It is far easier to just use a poisson distribution calculator (online, graphing calculator, mathematica).

In 1 hour the expected # of events (blocks) is 6.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is ~1.7%
In 2 hours the expected # of events (blocks) is 12.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is ~0.01%

In 24 hours the expected # of events (blocks) is 144.  The probability that there will be 1 or less is essentially 0  (4.198 E-61)
Use the right terms, Bitcoin mining is a Poisson process. The number of blocks in a period of time follows the Poisson distribution.

The numbers are good but I think it is more useful to think in terms of the time until the next block, which follows the exponential distribution. If the average is 10 minutes, the chance that the next block will be later than a day (1440 minutes) is exp (-1440/10) = 2.9 E-63.

As for the original question re a week, that's exp(-7*1440/10) = 1.7 E-438.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
petersiddle98

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:01:42 PM

Who cares about pool safety when everyone isn't making money mining it Sad

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: