Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:59:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Signature Advertisement Blindness  (Read 451 times)
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 12:17:22 PM

When I was still a newbie, I click on a lot of signature advertisements. However as time goes on, my click count become lesser and lesser.

Today, I noticed that I simply ignored the signature advertisement - banner blindness.

What about you?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2018, 01:05:39 PM

I look at some of the sigs if I think that the poster actually believes in the comment. Most signatures seem to be promoting products that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, so I tend to ignore them all. This is probably unfair to the few decent promotions that may be advertised. I think it is time for the decent sponsors to make an effort to get the rubbish programmes banned. That would make an enormous difference to their credibility.
gawer33

Activity: 309
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 01:39:42 PM

I never click any advertisement thus I had problem understanding fundamentals of any cryptocurrency if its worth it financing/supporting. since I began trading most of my trades are based on TA. still one question is not yet answered by this forum which is how to be good at fundamental analysis.
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2018, 04:04:06 PM

Unless I misclick I don't click on any. I haven't actually seen any that give me any benefit rather than complete shills. I have advertised a few in my signature that has done very well, but they weren't ICO or coins. Cryptocurrency projects do very well in signature campaigns if a user can tell right away it might add value to them, regardless of the price.
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 06:22:57 PM

When I was still a newbie, I click on a lot of signature advertisements. However as time goes on, my click count become lesser and lesser.

Today, I noticed that I simply ignored the signature advertisement - banner blindness.

What about you?

its a very interesting phenomenon,indeed I noticed that banner blindness depends on what I'm trying to do online
if I'm looking for a certain kind of information,for example,specific info about bitcoin-I totally ignore banner ads,
on the contrary,if I'm reading news,I tend to pay attention to banners and ads
one thing is common though-if the ad is annoying,be it colours,blinking,pop-ups etc. I will NEVER ever  use the service or buy the product
companies that disrepspect me as a customer do not deserve my money and time
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 12:40:52 PM

I rarely click on signature advertisements. Usually, I don't pay attention to these banners, but there are some exceptions.
If signature banner have small text size, I don't even try to read what is written here. So, I'm rarely looking at Member, Full Member signatures. Their signatures looks to heavy to see what's written here from first glance. Signature designers usually trying to use maximul allowed character limit per certain rank.
But I see banners of these old signature campaigns like Chipmixer, Crypto-Games and others, maybe because that participants of these campaigns are making really good posts. I always prefer to read posts of participants of these campaigns instead of someone who advertise unknown ICO.
If business want effective advertising on bitcointalk,  they need to hire experienced campaign manager who will choose best participants, have a good design of signature and run campaign for long, few weeks aren't enough to reach good results.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3523

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:05:09 PM

i have sigs disabled here (and most other forums im on that allow sig disabling) as i find them annoying.

ive always thought of sigs as eye pollution.

mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:52:53 PM

I do the same however some sigs sometimes get my attention.

~
Most of these sigs are really filled with ICO advertisements.

I have advertised a few in my signature that has done very well, but they weren't ICO or coins.
The channel im advertising on my sig is really working well.
Hektur

Activity: 271
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 04:14:54 PM

I think it is a new way of advertisement - when we see ban from Facebook, Google and maybe Twitter, where investors could see targeted advertisement? Here, there are many people on this forum, they are interested in crypto and also they are interested in investing zo ICOs, so I think there is nothing bad with signatures campaigns. Also it is not annoying like pop-ups... So it is future way how to promote ICOs.
Sir Cross

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 11:50:05 PM
Merited by jacktheking (1)

I sometimes find a signature interesting when the design is attractive. It sometimes catches the eye and sparks an interest. If it's nice enough, I might give it a click just out of curiosity.

But I see banners of these old signature campaigns like Chipmixer, Crypto-Games and others, maybe because that participants of these campaigns are making really good posts. I always prefer to read posts of participants of these campaigns instead of someone who advertise unknown ICO.

I sometimes do the same as well. I know that the posts of those who bear signatures of Chipmixer are worth reading and I think that this kind of advertisement is more effective than signature campaigns which have participants that post numerously but unconstructively. I sometimes even take a look out for these signatures among threads because they have good posts.
cryptothief

Activity: 350
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 04:12:25 AM

That's all forms of advertising right? I rarely click on adverts wherever I am on the web, but have done if it is something that interests me. That one click could be worth a lot of money to the advertiser. TV adverts have become virtually worthless, at least in my part of the world, where that majority of people watch programmes after recording and just skip through the adverts. At least in a forum like this, advertisers are hitting their target market directly. The problem arises here when advertisers allow their product to be linked to users whose posts are, to be polite, nondescript, but I guess that is the advertiser's fault for not checking the quality of those they associate themselves with and will probably have at least some affect on the return. I think at least with signature campaigns, the people taking part must have at least an element of belief in the project, because only one can be advertised at a time (whereas they can sign up for hundreds of projects at a time with the social media ones).
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 06:06:25 AM

What about you?

I go one step further.

I ignore any member of a signature campaign, as in click on ignore underneath the name on the left. The result is that I hardly ever see any signatures at all.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3523

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 01:08:06 PM

I go one step further.

I ignore any member of a signature campaign, as in click on ignore underneath the name on the left. The result is that I hardly ever see any signatures at all.

there is a member that posted a list of accounts that have paid sigs that you can copy/paste into your ignore list. iirc the list was so big sometimes people had trouble importing it.

Hektur

Activity: 271
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 03:52:21 PM

What about you?

I go one step further.

I know, that there are many spammers who do not read previous comments and only spamming here, but on the other hand I think, that signature is healthy way how to keep this forum active, you are paid for writing, if you dont, you will not spend much time here and there will be less posts with lower quality, because in rules of every signature campaign is written that they accept only 70+ words comments.
Oulay

Activity: 133
Merit: 37

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 02:27:38 PM

-
It's almost the same for me, I see normal signatures, I do read most of them and sometimes click. But I ignore all signature ads.
I actually have this banner blindness not only here but in other sites too, I even find it weird that people complain about the ads in some sites Grin

So for all users that want their signatures read, don't make it look like a sig camp ad. Keep it plain and simple and more people will see it this way!
Shitcointalk

Activity: 308
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 09:15:29 AM
Merited by jacktheking (2)

When I was still a newbie... wasn't that long ago ! But still, I never click on any signature. As it was said, it is an eye pollution, but also a big spam problem for this forum to handle.

Bounty can be a good thing, some earn money, some advertise their project, nothing to say about that.

The problem is I think, about the amount of posts per week that are needed in order to get paid. It is about quantity, and like everything else in life, quantity never works well with quality. Participants rush to reach their quota, plus a little extra in case their posts get deleted, just saying nothing here and there. In the end, we ALL waste time reading their shitposts (most of the time a least) while looking for interesting post in between. In my case, I just don't read the forum anymore (most of it) because looking for 5 good posts out of a hundred pages, doesn't make any sens at all. And if I don't read the forum, it doesn't matter how many times you posted your signature, because I won't see any of it.

Now let say that instead, you reward every participant based on merit received. Let's take 2 merits per week for example. You could get them with a single post. So you get less posts, but ONLY quality post. I truly believe that one good post is read more times than 15 bad posts, so is your signature. And you fix at the same time the multi account issue, because I don't give a "excuse me sir for the bad word that should have been here" if you post 10 interesting posts from 1 account, or from 10.
Plus, less posts would make this forum much easier to moderate, which would increase even more the positive effect.

The bounty manager could just check if you have got your 2 merits this week or not, which would be easier for him as well.

In the end, a lower amount of good and interesting posts, would make the signatures much more visible because people would actually READ the threads, and not just the first page and go to reply on the last one (to reach their quota), repeating what has already been said fifty times before, on the pages 2 to 97. This could be fix easily with a statement saying that bounty signatures should be based on merit from now on.

in the meantime, I like this section because it is signature free, and so the thread are pleasant to read. It is easy to notice that the biggest thread in here (which was about drugs hahaha) has only 6 pages. The only motivation I have to rank up is to be able to post in the Ivory Tower, if I want to.
Slava79

Activity: 182
Merit: 17

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:08:50 PM

What about you?

Nevertheless, it works. If you see a banner and notice some text there, and then see it elsewhere, the chances you click are higher, even if you didn't click for the first time.
RedUnicorn

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:54:41 PM

I recently joined this forum and mostly i did it to participate in signature ad even tho i dont click on most of them as i try do to my own research and becouse of obvious reasons that people advertise it mostly couse of money they do not matter to me. One thing i noticed that becouse of this ad signature this forum may be sometimes hard to read , many users posts answers and leave it like that forum is full of people counting posts im not saying that i dont do it either but i try to stay on topic of threats i do post it.
Duelyst

Activity: 490
Merit: 15

PARKRES Community Manager

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:38:36 AM

What about you?

I do have an interest using signature.  However, I noticed that some (or mostly) of managers are not always online and you have to spend more days, days and days to approved your application. 

What reason, why you become cold with Signature, Jacktheking?
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:04:41 PM

What about you?

I suppose I have developed a blind eye to some extent as well, but that being said, I always look at the sig ads of those I deem trustworthy in order to see which companies and/or projects they support. I then normally investigate to see if there is meat on the bones or not. If not, I wait for greener pastures to come along.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: