Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A letter to Wikipedia regarding donations in Bitcoin....  (Read 774 times)
aynstein (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

Fortune favors the bold, and sometimes the bald.

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:43:35 AM

I hope this is well received.
Whenever the time comes and I begin to see the donation reminder I make a point to donate what I can. I value what wikipedia brings to society, and believe it is imperative it remain independent of government or advertiser funding. I don't know why but this year I just assumed I would be able to donate in Bitcoin. I was disappointed to find you did not have an option for donating Bitcoin. I understand If setting up a Bitcoin wallet is not possible for your organization. If that is the case there are several options to accept Bitcoin but receive it as almost any currency. Bitpay.com does exactly this. coinbase.com is another option for US bank account holders. I have copied this email to the Bitcoin Foundation and both payment services I mentioned in the hope it may help start a dialog. There are of course other options you may wish to explore as well. You could find out more about Bitcoin and the companies around it on Wikipedia Wink! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In the spirit of independent ideas I hope I will be able to donate using Bitcoin soon.

P.S. Thanks for all of your hard work. It does not go unappreciated!

Warm Regards,

-----------
Is this type of rabble rousing effective or useful?
BTC

AltaVista 4 Life!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:31:49 PM

Keep up the pressure.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 02:43:33 AM

It is a bit surprising the WikiPedia doesn't jump on board with us, don't really see what the disadvantage to them would be.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
aynstein (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

Fortune favors the bold, and sometimes the bald.

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:55:53 AM

It is a bit surprising the WikiPedia doesn't jump on board with us, don't really see what the disadvantage to them would be.

Yes, it is. I did receive a reply, they are "watching bitcoin with great interest". Kinda lame but at least they didn't junk mail me...

AltaVista 4 Life!
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 11:03:16 AM

IMO they're dicks.   It would take 30seconds to integrate.  Cut paste btc address.

Then sell if they want cash.  Donations are the easiest use case for BTC.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:35:55 PM

IMO they're dicks.   It would take 30seconds to integrate.  Cut paste btc address.

Then sell if they want cash.  Donations are the easiest use case for BTC.
I would imagine it would be more of a legal/accounting issue, not a technical one.

They could even use BitPay to handle the technical/banking integrations for a very small fee.  Heck Tony might even donate the service to them as his donation (marketing would also be good).

EDIT:  It looks like Tony has alread done something to help them: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128382.0

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: