Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:10:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how to prepare for summer?  (Read 997 times)
aarigs (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 12:46:34 AM

Ok, ok, 1000$ seems to me to much for something that just moves air and given that I can potentially make maybe 1000$ per month (given difficulty etc).

1. Circulation of air
I have to circulate  air that is ideally much colder than my GPU's temp.
Ideally I do not want to use to much for fan's and too much electricity ...

How to do it in my flat is questionable ... got french windows.
Once I open windows, doors , temperature inside and outside is going to be the same.

So that there is no difference when I do it on balcony (north/east side) or inside?
Then I have to protect it against occasional showers  Undecided.

2. Air-con
If I buy air-con I guess it would not make sense to circulate air and cost of additional 1-2kW could quite damage profitability... 

That I have to calculate because I currently use cca. 2.7kW/h, that would be 40-100% increase in electricity consumption.
(I wish electricity was free ... somehow  Smiley )

3. Any other ideas?

It doesn't really matter what the temperature is outside. If you have your rigs in a closed room with no circulation the temperature is going to snowball and get too hot. If you are pulling air out of the room say at 3000 CFM (and replenishing with new air) from outside that is 95F / 35C it will help keep the room closer to 95F / 35C.

For example, I have a ton of GPU rigs. Last summer on a 95F day, I turned off the air circulation (to fix something) and just left the windows open. The room quickly went from 100F to 115F in about 30 minutes, it would have kept climbing if I didn't circulate the air again. Your GPUs can handle hot room temps, just imaging how hot they are inside a computer case. However, if you do not have a way to remove the heat from your house / apartment you place will get too hot for you and then eventually your rigs (though they can handle the heat better than you can). Your AC won't help. It is not designed to cool on this level unless you only have 1-12 (or so) GPUs...

Yes, you are right, I need to increase circulation somehow and remove hot air from room.

Well, wife approval factor is already quite low, I wonder how it is going to be when I install proper fan.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Futnuck

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 04:03:56 PM

I put the miners in the garage and bought two of these from Home Depot for a total of four vents. I have two garage doors side by side and it worked very well last year.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindeeVent-2-75-in-x-12-in-x-17-5-in-Aluminum-Garage-Door-Vent-2-Pack-WV1001W/205911851

Check this link and scroll down for example of a door
https://windeevent.com/about/hoa/

On the top vents i tightened the ends of bungie straps on four of the bolts to hold this fan with the stands removed blowing outward.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-12-in-3-Speed-Whole-Room-Circulator-Floor-Fan-HT908/203684186?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203684186-_-N

So essentially the hot air was blowing out at the top of the door and the cool air was pulled in from the bottom.

how many miners do you have

I have a total of 16 1080ti's
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 04:52:23 PM

I'm going to buy more high speed fan, but it's hard to make better ventilation for my mining room, it just about 11m2 with only 1 window (30cm x 100cm). I think I also need to set lower power limit, currently it's 83%, maybe I will set it to 70-72% during summer. My place is quite hot, in July, the outside temperature always at 35-36C.
hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 05:24:53 PM

I live in South Florida and have three rigs in my home.  All of my GPU's are NVIDIA.  I plan on putting them on 60% power throughout the summer and pray that helps mitigate the heat without sacrificing much hashpower.  Currently they are on 70%.
TorbjornE

Activity: 148
Merit: 1

The stock photography revolution

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:57:14 AM

I put a cheap outdoor fan in this way: hot air above the farms is blown into the top of the open window, and cold air enters the bottom. The main thing is to circulate.
I also use program MSI Afterbuner to manually adjust the speed of the video card fans.

╔═   PHOTOCHAIN.IO   ⚫   TRUSTED STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY   ═╗
╚══   REVOLUTION IN THE STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY MARKET   ══╝
flong

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:58:18 AM

I live in Texas and we're enjoying unusually cold weather this part of the year.  My hope is that if I can lower the power and back off my overclock so I can put it in a manageable temperature range without having to do too much extra work.  I have a 2 story home and my miner is on my first floor so hot air is going to rise up.  I also currently have one fan blowing for some circulation. Crossing my fingers that will be enough.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 07:42:39 AM

I put a cheap outdoor fan in this way: hot air above the farms is blown into the top of the open window, and cold air enters the bottom. The main thing is to circulate.
I also use program MSI Afterbuner to manually adjust the speed of the video card fans.

Totally agree with you. I think the most important on making better ventilation is separating hot air (out take) and cold air (in take).
One of my favorite cooling solution is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMrtuGFbt0&t=153s
xberg

Activity: 159
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 09:22:54 AM

Your first focus is getting hot air out. Hot air rises naturally, so a bathroom type fan placed high above your rigs will do miracles.
You can work with a near passive strategy depending on the size of your openings: big opening towards the bottom for air intake and big opening towards the top for outflow, on the other side to create current.
If you can't, for security or design reasons have big intakes then use ventillators. And as I wrote focus first on getting hot air out rather than cold air in.
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:33:08 AM

Open the windows at the level where your rigs are. And open 2nd windows in the lower level. Then leave the work to the natural convection Wink

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
wo_ki

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 08:34:37 PM

ha-ha, when I read the name of theme I think you want prepare your body to summer - not your PC))) About PC I can say just open one side and all will be ok
Cryptoipad

Activity: 260

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:46:18 AM

I think  about the prepare of summer this areas We’re weeks away from high temperatures, sky warnings, and bug invasions. And this year is expected to be an especially hot one in many areas. Before summer hits at full force, make sure you and your home are prepared.That should do the trick, but if you’re looking for a test that’s a little more detailed, you can turn on the unit and check its efficiency with a simple thermometer used to summer vacation. Keep it there for five minutes and note the temperature. Do the same thing at the return vent. The air coming out should be some degrees cooler than the air going in temperature.
Sevarchik

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:52:11 AM

There is 2 ways: big coolers or air conditioner.
If your room closed only air conditioner, but this method eat more power check your electricity capacity
Open rooms can be packed with big coolers, this cost less electricity and make your room dusty

aarigs (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 09:55:39 AM

There is 2 ways: big coolers or air conditioner.
If your room closed only air conditioner, but this method eat more power check your electricity capacity
Open rooms can be packed with big coolers, this cost less electricity and make your room dusty

Don't forget noise ...  Sad
chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 12:05:37 PM

Hi,
I get temperatures of my GPU's from 55-75 °Celsius and we have still  winter (outside 0 and inside 22 °C).

How to prepare for summer (outside 35-35  °C, inside 27-29°C without air con),
how am I going to cool this stuff and not to spend too much money?

How are you going to cool it?

Thanks for suggestions.

in my country there are only two seasons, summer and rainy season. I keep a mining tool in the top room of my house. When the summer, I often replace the GPU pasta and add a lot of fans. the cost is so cheap
  https://i.imgur.com/zKNBZju.jpg
mrstark89

Activity: 284

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 01:09:39 PM

You should lower core clock and memory clock, power limit of NVidia gpu
In my country, it's nearly 40 celcius outside and 30-32 inside. GPU's temperatures from 62 to 65 celcius
Try to keep your gpus under 65
Piskeante

Activity: 924
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:31:48 PM

for the actual profit, it's better to shut them down.

BTC no more than 6k by end of 2019. ETH no more than 300$ by end 2019. Huge market manipulation, huge amount of scammers and hypers.
aarigs (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:38:27 PM

You should lower core clock and memory clock, power limit of NVidia gpu
In my country, it's nearly 40 celcius outside and 30-32 inside. GPU's temperatures from 62 to 65 celcius
Try to keep your gpus under 65

Well, even now I have problem keeping temp under 65  ...  Sad ... outside is 6 Celsius, rig at balcony keeps temps at 56-60 Celsius
Inside it is like 65 - 75, I cannot open window, wife complains  Grin.

Temperature varies depending on model type ASUS/ EVGA better than GIGABYTE by 5 degrees or so
Also, I find Zotac s.it, two fan GPUs are noisy and zotac extreme runs fan at 85% and this is at 77% power.

Yesterday, I bought 3 different fans 120mm to 140mm up to 20decibel and sub 10eur  Smiley.
I'm going to test it and then add few my rig and see how temp changes.
aarigs (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:53:18 PM

for the actual profit, it's better to shut them down.

I do not think so, depreciation is bitch ... GPU's still make money but I want to keep them 3+ years
chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:58:03 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by chandrarahmadewa

Yesterday, I bought 3 different fans 120mm to 140mm up to 20decibel and sub 10eur  Smiley.
I'm going to test it and then add few my rig and see how temp changes.
don't worry about the noise from the fan, the most important GPU temperature is maintained,
how to replace the GPU thermal paste, have you ever replaced it?

note: don't do thermal paste replacement if GPU is still warranty
cryptolet

Activity: 229

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 08:52:18 PM

One way is to buy the things you will need like sunscreen, bathing suits. Keep it simple, sign your yearbooks, take pictures get into some classes for the summer, start working on your body and then rent a beach house.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: