Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:04:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Distribution of bitcoin wealth by owner  (Read 153365 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 06:02:45 PM

I'm curious to know how the distribution of wealth has changed over the last month where we have had very little volatility.   It is my default assumption that during most crashes, the distribution of BTC becomes more and more top heavy.   I think this is because in times of steep price declines, the smaller holders are typically the ones crying and panic selling, while the more seasoned heavy hitters are continuing to scoop up more BTC at what is considered to be a major discount (or even a clearance sale).

I would think that during flat markets the distribution of BTC stays pretty stagnant, since there is less selling and buying currently going on (as exchange charts depict).
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 07:19:46 PM

I'm curious to know how the distribution of wealth has changed over the last month where we have had very little volatility.   It is my default assumption that during most crashes, the distribution of BTC becomes more and more top heavy.   I think this is because in times of steep price declines, the smaller holders are typically the ones crying and panic selling, while the more seasoned heavy hitters are continuing to scoop up more BTC at what is considered to be a major discount (or even a clearance sale).

I would think that during flat markets the distribution of BTC stays pretty stagnant, since there is less selling and buying currently going on (as exchange charts depict).

This is absolutely true.

The power players have been buying a lot of Bitcoin over the past 6 months. Even though the price has been dropping, professional traders can make it happen with relative ease.  And Bitcoin millionaires who took some profits at $1200 surely bought back even more so the consolidation of power is even more so now than it was last year.

But this is to be expected.

I would add that I'm sure Bitcoin has also added many more holders to its distribution, although most are probably very small holders (1-10 BTC), basically gambling on Bitcoin.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:11:20 AM

Early adopters aside the only ones to ever now be wealthy in bitcoin are those already wealthy in fiat. So from now on any re-distribution can only ever be as 'fair' as fiat  Shocked.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 04:00:27 AM

Vlad2Vlad, you've made a lot of claims, even stating that some things are "absolutely true." Do you have any sources or evidence for any of them? I would love to see anything to support the claim that banks are getting into bitcoin, since that would raise its value substantially, but everything I have been reading so far only suggests that banks are extremely weary of it, and only certain bankers and investors have personal holdings, not the banks themselves.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 06:59:46 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 07:18:00 AM by Vlad2Vlad

Vlad2Vlad, you've made a lot of claims, even stating that some things are "absolutely true." Do you have any sources or evidence for any of them? I would love to see anything to support the claim that banks are getting into bitcoin, since that would raise its value substantially, but everything I have been reading so far only suggests that banks are extremely weary of it, and only certain bankers and investors have personal holdings, not the banks themselves.

Bitcoin is gonna be listed on Nasdaq [on Wall Street]. [i was the only human on earth last year saying the Public ETF was a guarantee].

The Banks own Wall Street.

Do you really need to wait for 2015 before realizing what's happening?

[hi, kelsey]

hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:18:43 AM

Well, you are a donator... How much do you hold?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:24:43 PM

Do you really need to wait for 2015 before realizing what's happening?

people always wait until it's too late. they're lazy mofos that can't think for themselves. sheeeeeps.. ^^
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 03:37:20 PM

Well, you are a donator... How much do you hold?

There's a rich list put together by Rptiela I believe. I just saw it a few days ago and I think it said he owned 30,000 Bitcoins.

If we're going to $10,000+ next year, and with the ETFs I think that's a guarantee, that's a sick amount of money.

Not too shabby at $1,000 either.  Ha!

M++

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 05:14:41 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 05:34:06 AM by M++

vlad2vlad i respect your opinion, but i think you are wrong.

First of all early adopter and whales are a strenght for Bitcoin i think, because i'm sure people who buy before 30$ (not me Cheesy) are not the "lucky guy" like people seems to think. If you bought bitcoin or mine 3 years ago, and you not sold it at 100 or whatever, you was someone very well informed about this kind of technologi, you had an idea of how it can change the world for the better. People 3 years ago are strong believer, and i think way smarter then the average, so i think there are a strenght because now they have the power to do something with their money.

They can invest in company or make donation. I don't think when you reach million of $ you become more greedy. I think you have more time to plan what you want to do useful in your life. Certainly make bitcoin better.

Banker and wallstreet can come after that, they will be AFTER believer. And maybe Before mainstream, So what the probem ? I not own a lot of bitcoin, but i will never sell whatever the price is. And a lot people are like me. The more money they put in bitcoin, the more believer become heathly, the more we have power to do something for bitcoin. If one day i bitcoin reach 5k$ i will invest in mining stuff just to help to the decentralisation for example.

I don't see why bank and wallstreet will be a bad news, anyway let's me tell you, they are the greedy person, they will lose at this game, some with make money, but they will lost their etablishment and the money supply. If bank become part of the game, mainstream will occure right after that, because it's will be like the "approved" stamp for sheep.

But with mainstream use they will lose power, and it's for that bitcoin is made. Smart bank who can admit the defeat and try to be part of the new game, why not ?

My only concern is about bitcoin blockchain tracking by software made by gov, nsa etc.... It's can be very scared, and i think they already started to try to know who is who. And with exchange required ID identification and the capability of steal this information by hack, i'm sure they have already a LOT of information.

We need to avoid it, no matter what is the cost, even is the price of bitcoin need to go down like crazy. We don't need to play the game of WS and the system, if they want invest in, why not, but we need to stay at the original idea, where bitcoin is liberty and not slavery, we need to support alternative wallet and anonymous like Darkwallet, and when it's ready, we need to use it, even for genuine transaction. I hope this community will follow it, we really need it. If we are enough they will attemp to ban bitcoin, and it's where i will see if this currency it's really what it suppose to be. I will be very suspicious if gov and bank not try to do anything vs bitcoin.

I think they just don't really understand what is it exactly at this moment, don't worry, they will.

By the way i never heard A. Andreas talk about the anonymity of bitcoin, him never say that, him say it CAN BE anonymous. So i hope him will push the idea for the blockchain.info to make an option for use a system like Darkwallet if they suceed to proove the anonymity of the stuff they are making. The fact of bitcoin is not anonymous by defaut is a great thing, because we need all organisation who want to be credible to use a public system like blockhain, like this everybody can track if the money if used by the right way.

So for now we just have to wait few years more (maybe 2 or 3) to have all the answer. They will fail like they failed with internet. The main idea of internet is still here, i can say what i say, and my post will not be delete by someone. Even if they stalk us, they can't do really anything more, with bitcoin it's will be the same i presume, but to be sure keep watching the news and see how bitcoin go with system. We need to be suspicious, they will attemp something vs bitcoin, if not maybe they have a agenda for it, i hope you are wrong at least, but i respect your opinion and we need also people like you, but please give source of what are saying ? I'm talking about bank buying bitcoin, i don't think it's real. Wall street have a lot of way to do crazy money, the market caps of Bitcoin is so little, what they can't do without be seen by everyone ? Almost nothing few million? ahah... They don't care about million, they want billion. Impossible to hide it actualy in charts if bank was REALLY in the game.

I hope you are not trying to make people scare with false information and make them look at your coin...  Which i did, and your coin is just a scam like anyanother altcoin who try to decredibilise Bitcoin the main cryptocurrency. Altcoin are ok when they not pretend to prove bitcoin is doomed, because is not serve the main idea. Better to put energy into bitcoin to try to influence it, we are just at the start. A lot of innovation will appear, and bitcoin will be far and more far away in term of innovation and hashrate vs anyother altcoin, that's why we can't change crypto currency tomorrow, we need to change bitcoin itself if we want to.

Fliphodl.com ICO Analysis Website.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 06:41:07 AM

If I were trying to scare people out of Bitcoin I wouldn't have said last year it would match gold within 12 months (which it did) and now that Bitcoin will hit $2500+ this year and at least $10,000+ next year on the back of massive billions going into public Bitcoin ETFs.

And I think my $10,000 figure for next year for Bitcoin is actually conservative, if enough pension funds, mutual funds, hedge funds, individual investors, etc., buy the public ETF, then $50,000 Bitcoin is actually a very real possibility.

People think that's crazy talk but that's what the ETF will do to Bitcoin.  I have very little doubt about this.

The only thing that can stop this is a delay in the ETF license which I think is improbable (they'll get it later this year) or some unforeseen event with Bitcoin where a competing coin gets a lot of the attention and new money, which I also think is very improbable, at least not in the next 12 months.  

If that's scaring people out of Bitcoin then I'm not sure what else to say.  ; ).

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:02:57 PM

If I were trying to scare people out of Bitcoin I wouldn't have said last year it would match gold within 12 months (which it did) and now that Bitcoin will hit $2500+ this year and at least $10,000+ next year on the back of massive billions going into public Bitcoin ETFs.

And I think my $10,000 figure for next year for Bitcoin is actually conservative, if enough pension funds, mutual funds, hedge funds, individual investors, etc., buy the public ETF, then $50,000 Bitcoin is actually a very real possibility.

People think that's crazy talk but that's what the ETF will do to Bitcoin.  I have very little doubt about this.

The only thing that can stop this is a delay in the ETF license which I think is improbable (they'll get it later this year) or some unforeseen event with Bitcoin where a competing coin gets a lot of the attention and new money, which I also think is very improbable, at least not in the next 12 months.  

If that's scaring people out of Bitcoin then I'm not sure what else to say.  ; ).

I started another thread about how it feels like I am warning people about a tsunami coming and they just ignore me.  I guess a tsuanmi isn't the best analogy, but I often feel ignored when I tell people that they should really look into it.  Perhaps I need to start driving around in a Lambo like Goat to get people's attention?

I can see it now.  "So how did you get that Lambo?"  Then I will respond, "Remember when I told you about Bitcoin when the price was only $100 per coin?  They are now worth $50,000.  This car only cost me $200."  Wink  That might be a way to really tick people off though. 

I don't actually plan on buying any fancy cars anyways.  But it will be tempting.  I think more so for BitchicksHusband.  Guys and their cars!  Grin

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 05:49:28 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 09:14:56 PM by Vlad2Vlad

I started another thread about how it feels like I am warning people about a tsunami coming and they just ignore me.  I guess a tsuanmi isn't the best analogy, but I often feel ignored when I tell people that they should really look into it.  Perhaps I need to start driving around in a Lambo like Goat to get people's attention?

I can see it now.  "So how did you get that Lambo?"  Then I will respond, "Remember when I told you about Bitcoin when the price was only $100 per coin?  They are now worth $50,000.  This car only cost me $200."  Wink  That might be a way to really tick people off though.  

I don't actually plan on buying any fancy cars anyways.  But it will be tempting.  I think more so for BitchicksHusband.  Guys and their cars!  Grin

Oh, you can definitely count on me being that guy.  God willing, if things work out as i can clearly see, I'd buy a a Lambo Aventador the very first day, and forget a flimsy vanity license plate, I'd have giant coin names painted and decaled all over the car and I would rub it in [at 10,000 RPM] the noses of all those who mocked me and laughed while I was desperately trying to help them see the F U T U R E.

Haha, it would be quite amazing and I would have the fun of my life doing it.  Haha!

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:57:32 AM

I started another thread about how it feels like I am warning people about a tsunami coming and they just ignore me.  I guess a tsuanmi isn't the best analogy, but I often feel ignored when I tell people that they should really look into it.  Perhaps I need to start driving around in a Lambo like Goat to get people's attention?

I can see it now.  "So how did you get that Lambo?"  Then I will respond, "Remember when I told you about Bitcoin when the price was only $100 per coin?  They are now worth $50,000.  This car only cost me $200."  Wink  That might be a way to really tick people off though.  

I don't actually plan on buying any fancy cars anyways.  But it will be tempting.  I think more so for BitchicksHusband.  Guys and their cars!  Grin

Oh, you can definitely count on me being that guy.  God willing, if things work out as i can clearly see, I'd buy a a Lambo Aventador the very first day, and forget a flimsy vanity license plate, I'd have giant coin names painted and decaled all over the car and I would rub it in [at 10,000 RPM] the noses of all those who mocked me and laughed while I was desperately trying to help them see the F U T U R E.

Haha, it would be quite amazing and I wouldn't have the fun of my life doing it.  Haha!

A fancy car would be one of the last things I'd buy. Low profile people, low profile.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 09:25:28 PM

To each their own.

But why low profile? Low profile is for the mafia rich and tax evaders.  I am neither.

I want the world to know how I got that lambo and I want people to invest their money as early as possible for maximum benefit so why would I keep a low profile, why wouldn't I try to help as many people by inspiring them?

And if I wanna drive a $500K sports car why pay Uncle Sam $250,000 in taxes when I can kill 2 birds with one stone - inform and educate a lot of people and have the IRS pay for half my car.  Haha!

I really don't get why Bitcoin has so many super rich people and NOT ONE, NOT a single one can show people what Bitcoin can really do for you if you invest early enough - to visually shock people into the life transforming potential of crypto currencies.  

That's selfish and thoughtless in my opinion, and I could never keep my mouth nor my pockets shut.

Mark my word, people at the edges of the Universe would hear and see me coming and would invest something in Crypto Currencies, should that ever elusive fate and destiny strike me on my head [the way it has been dreamt and foretold].

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:27:41 PM

To each their own.

But why low profile? Low profile is for the mafia rich and tax evaders.  I am neither.

I want the world to know how I got that lambo and I want people to invest their money as early as possible for maximum benefit so why would I keep a low profile, why wouldn't I try to help as many people by inspiring them?

And if I wanna drive a $500K sports car why pay Uncle Sam $250,000 in taxes when I can kill 2 birds with one stone - inform and educate a lot of people and have the IRS pay for half my car.  Haha!

I really don't get why Bitcoin has so many super rich people and NOT ONE, NOT a single one can show people what Bitcoin can really do for you if you invest early enough - to visually shock people into the life transforming potential of crypto currencies. 

That's selfish and thoughtless in my opinion, and I could never keep my mouth nor my pockets shut.

Mark my word, people at the edges of the Universe would hear and see me coming and would invest something in Crypto Currencies, should that ever elusive fate and destiny strike me on my head [the way it has been dreamt and foretold].

Low profile is for wealthy people who wish to remain both alive, wealthy and hold on to their freedom to move about unplanned and without security.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 09:50:07 PM

To each their own.

But why low profile? Low profile is for the mafia rich and tax evaders.  I am neither.

And if I wanna drive a $500K sports car why pay Uncle Sam $250,000 in taxes when I can kill 2 birds with one stone - inform and educate a lot of people and have the IRS pay for half my car.  Haha!

Low profile is for wealthy people who wish to remain both alive, wealthy and hold on to their freedom to move about unplanned and without security.

I also fear for my life when I think about having that much money and the fact people know who I really am.  And I have 2 small children as well to fear for.

But then I quickly realize I am reacting to fear, like an animal, which really angers me more than fear itself.  I don't want to be an animal.  I want to be a man - I want to be that for which I was created and fear robs you of everything that is good, just and right.

And so I quickly do the exact opposite as that baseless fear dictates which is always the correct response.  Fear always takes you down the wrong path.  Fear [jealousy and hate] are always diametrically opposed to the truth and will always mislead you and rob you of your very life.

Hate them and strike them from your heart with all your might so that you may be human again.

Humans = Action.  Animals = Reaction.

Wealth should set you free, not imprison you.  Everyone knows Where Warren Buffet lives and he's still fine and alive and he doesn't have 24 hour armed guards, never has.

Sure horrible things could happen to me or my family, I have already thought about this and even felt the fear.  But I'd rather suffer and die a free man, making free choices than live a life, imprisoned by fear and by the very gift which should have set me free.

I will do what is right and not what is right just for me.  I will do what is just and allow everyone else do what they wish to do.  

Blessed is a man who has wealth AND the ability to enjoy it.

For tomorrow I will die and I choose to not live and die in a prison or with fear in my heart.

Nay, I die a free man and I die with the truth beaming forth from my lips.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:53:30 PM

Wealth should set you free, not imprison you. 

That's why you keep a low profile. It's easy to live in wealth without being noticed. Just don't get the things people only buy because it is a status symbol. Status symbols have never meant anything to me.

I have a bit of a superiority complex Wink
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 11:25:45 PM

Wealth should set you free, not imprison you.

That's why you keep a low profile. It's easy to live in wealth without being noticed. Just don't get the things people only buy because it is a status symbol. Status symbols have never meant anything to me.

I have a bit of a superiority complex Wink

We somewhat think alike.  Even as a child I never wore the jersey of some famous player.  It greatly bothered me. It made me feel like I was beneath them or I could never be greater than them.  It would anger me to think of having their name or number stamped on my back like an animal.  I admired great people, for a short while, but never idolized them for I found flaws and problems in them all.

I like nice things and the fact is, nice quality things are usually namebrand.  That's the only thing I like about namebrand things, you do get what you pay for.

But people are not like that.  They value the money and cannot see who's really behind the fancy suit.  They associate your intellect and worth by your University Degrees and what you drive (your wealth).  So it's almost a necessity to get multiple college degrees (that's why I did it) and to drive fancy cars.  Almost like a necessary cost of doing business.

It's tragic but if you want to be heard, some of these things are necessary.

I bought a new BMW years ago cause I loved the look and especially how they handled.  I didn't care that it was a BMW, but after a short while I felt my heart grab onto it and that angered me very much.  

To destroy this love for a an object, a namebrand, I gave that brand new BMW to just about every person I met to drive it however they pleased.  Even total strangers.  Everyone at my work and everywhere I went: "Here, take it for a spin and floor it. It's a blast to drive," I would exclaim.

It's like giving your beautiful girlfriend to every man you meet to have their way with her.  Trust me, you'll never love her or that object the same way ever again.

I would buy an Aventador not for the name-brand, but for the look, feel and exhilaration and for the respect people give you [undeservingly] which is crucial to your message and success.  I simply love driving cars and I know that I will probably feel attached to its beauty which means I will surely pass it around to everyone I meet to have their way with it, like a two dollar whore.

Cause like I said, money should set you free and falling in love with an object or a namebrand or with money itself will absolutely enslave you [for life] and turn you into a trapped, selfish animal.

I never told anyone this but I regularly get a very vivid image in my mind of myself dying:  Covered in gold jewelry, clenching tightly to a fist full of cash and with my mouth wide open - full of rotten meat.

That's how the greedy, selfish animals die - taking nothing with them.

I don't know why I would get such a disturbing image in my mind, I have always been relatively poor, I'm neck deep in student loans debt, I still can't find a good job and I have lost everything:  My job, my house, my car and nearly my life and my sanity itself.

That recurring image sickens me so much that I never want to eat too much, and I want to put a distance between my heart and money.  This is why I don't think I could ever wear gold rolexes which I've always wanted.  In fact, I bought one a few years back, when I had a good job and was doing well, and in just 2 weeks I gave it to my dad [as a gift] cause of that repetitive image in my mind [and because every son should give their dad something, once on their life, which has value and requires sacrifice].

My entire life I dreamt about owning a gold Rolex and finally, after working so hard for so many years, and finally buying one [on payments, lol] I couldn't bear the thought of wearing it.  

Really pisses me off, actually.  Haha!  But it's a really good thing.  I'm really glad to feel this way.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 11:32:41 PM

We somewhat think alike.  Even as a child I never wore the jersey of some famous player.  It greatly bothered me. It made me feel like I was beneath them or I could never be greater than them.  It would anger me to think of having their name or number stamped on my back like an animal.  I admired great people, for a short while, but never idolized them for I found flaws and problems in them all.

When playing football all the other kids would say I'm [Famous player 1], I'm [famous player 2] etc. I would say I'm [my own name] and then if I did something good I would joke about beating the famous players they were supposed to be Cheesy

Everyone must have thought I was weird Smiley

Ahahahaa.

Very similar to how I felt.  That's a very good thing actually as long as it doesn't manifest into runaway arrogance and self love.

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:16:53 AM

When playing football all the other kids would say I'm [Famous player 1], I'm [famous player 2] etc. I would say I'm [my own name] and then if I did something good I would joke about beating the famous players they were supposed to be Cheesy

Everyone must have thought I was weird Smiley

Ahahahaa.

Very similar to how I felt.  That's a very good thing actually as long as it doesn't manifest into runaway arrogance and self love.

I think people idolize others too much and in a way to think of yourself as equal is healthier than being obsessed with celebrities.   I believe God made us all and we are all equal in this world.  It changes how we see ourselves and others around us and especially those that are famous or esteemed just for their wealth, looks, money etc.

That said, I do think because others judge based on these things, that to be influential we have to be "in the world but not of the world."  We need to fit in enough that they will actually listen.  This actually annoys me greatly and I have never been one that wants name brands or fancy cars.  I would like a larger house perhaps, but that is more for practical reasons then for status. But even there I think I could just make it work.  Contentment is an important thing to learn.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: