Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:59:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The boat is long gone  (Read 8584 times)
fleabag (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:56:45 PM

Since I know OP didnt read my response above, Ill make it shorter for him:

1)  Its Moot not Mute

2)  BTC is speculated to hit $1,000 .... $10,000 ... $100,000 .... anyone who buys today, in sufficient quantity, will still make millions of dollars.  That's still "real money".

3)  The people you're referring to who have 10,000 BTC ... well thats just astronomical.

NO WAY IS IT GOING TO $10000. IT MAY HIT $1000. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS HOW MANY COINS CAN YOU BUY RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT? IF YOU CANT BUY 10000 YOU ARE NOT A PLAYER. THE PLAYERS ARE GOING TO MAKE THE MONEY AND THEY ARE HOPING YOU BOTTOM FEEDERS PUT EVERY LAST CENT INTO BITCOINS AND THEY WILL TAKE EVERY CENT FROM YOU.

You are talking rubbish and you know you are. Firstly your question is ridiculous, nobody is going to tell you something they can buy for $200 that will make a million because they wouldn't tell you if they did know. Secondly, to say any less than 10000 coins is pointless proves you are trolling. If someone has doubled there money over the course of the last 6 months they are winning. If they had £500, £5000 or £50000 invested they are feeling pretty happy right now. To talk about missing the boat if you didn't make millions is bollocks, most people would feel very very pleased making 20-30% on an investment.

Tell me an investment past or present(not a stock) that costs $200 or less that anyone could buy that made that person a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200 investment.

sHOW ME AN EXAMPLE IN THE PAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:57:16 PM

no guts, no glory.

to make huge returns, you have to take huge risks. how could something be risky of the idea is already widespread?
that's like saying show me a square with only 3 sides...

EXACTLY IT IS WIDESPREAD NOW ANSWER THIS QUESTION:
Tell me an investment past or present(not a stock) that costs $200 or less that anyone could buy that made that person a millionaire. The only caveat is that the investment had/has to be a fully disseminated idea that the world knows/knew about. So in other words the person got in AFTER THE FACT and made millions off of a $200 investment.

I find the fact that because somebody can not tell you an unrelated investment opportunity to return 5000x you take that as proof that what you are saying is right very strange indeed.
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:01:40 AM

no guts, no glory.

to make huge returns, you have to take huge risks. how could something be risky of the idea is already widespread?

I find the fact that because somebody can not tell you an unrelated investment opportunity to return 5000x you take that as proof that what you are saying is right very strange indeed.

SEEING NO ONE CAN GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE SHOWS THAT ITS A PIPE DREAM. ITS NOT STRANGE BECAUSE EVERYONE ON HERE HAS THE BELIEF THAT A $200 BITCOIN IS GOING TO $10000. SO SHOW ME AN EXAMPLE OF THIS IN THE PAST WHERE ORDINARY PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD GOT RICH BY INVESTING IN AN IDEA THAT THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:03:13 AM

The price of a single bitcoin is irrelevant. "A bitcoin" simply a useful accounting distinction. Did you know you can acquire 1/100,000,000 of a bitcoin?

If total valuation of bitcoin grows from $2 billion to $2 trillion (competing with market cap of gold, an incredible feat, but not impossible), then that person who scraped together $1k for "just 5 coins" is now sitting on almost $1 million.

The boats will rise and fall. Bitcoin is young, but has surprising levels of momentum. If not bitcoin, then it's successor. The future is uncertain. Promise and wonder glimmers in the distant horizon.

Has there been discussion of transaction fees in this context? I've never looked into it. How valuable is a satoshi when transaction fees cost many, many, many times more?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:04:25 AM

no guts, no glory.

SEEING NO ONE CAN GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE SHOWS THAT ITS A PIPE DREAM. ITS NOT STRANGE BECAUSE EVERYONE ON HERE HAS THE BELIEF THAT A $200 BITCOIN IS GOING TO $10000. SO SHOW ME AN EXAMPLE OF THIS IN THE PAST WHERE ORDINARY PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD GOT RICH BY INVESTING IN AN IDEA THAT THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT.

bitcoin is unprecedented. it may be the case that if you asked this question again in 10 years the answer would be bitcoin, and it would be the only correct answer to the question.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:21:38 AM

no guts, no glory.

Bitcoin went from $1 to $200.  Thousands of people knew about Bitcoin when it was $1.  There were even mainstream newstories by then.  By your "logic" the rise from $1 to $200 should be impossible. 

The fact that the prior history of Bitcoin disproves your very claim doesn't it at least seem possible that the future unwritten history of Bitcoin will do the same?
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:23:50 AM

1)  Its Moot not Mute

2)  BTC is speculated to hit $1,000 .... $10,000 ... $100,000 .... anyone who buys today, in sufficient quantity, will still make millions of dollars.  That's still "real money".

3)  The people you're referring to who have 10,000 BTC ... well thats just astronomical.

NO WAY IS IT GOING TO $10000. IT MAY HIT $1000. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS HOW MANY COINS CAN YOU BUY RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT? IF YOU CANT BUY 10000 YOU ARE NOT A PLAYER. THE PLAYERS ARE GOING TO MAKE THE MONEY AND THEY ARE HOPING YOU BOTTOM FEEDERS PUT EVERY LAST CENT INTO BITCOINS AND THEY WILL TAKE EVERY CENT FROM YOU.

You are talking rubbish and you know you are. Firstly your question is ridiculous, nobody is going to tell you something they can buy for $200 that will make a million because they wouldn't tell you if they did know. Secondly, to say any less than 10000 coins is pointless proves you are trolling. If someone has doubled there money over the course of the last 6 months they are winning. If they had £500, £5000 or £50000 invested they are feeling pretty happy right now. To talk about missing the boat if you didn't make millions is bollocks, most people would feel very very pleased making 20-30% on an investment.

Examples in the past???

The internet never had anything that preceded it.  Bitcoin is the "internet" of money.  There is nothing like it so we cannot really compare it to anything else.

I do not understand your comment of "AFTER THE FACT."  So many people do not even know about Bitcoin yet or use it.  Just look at the number of posts on Facebook pages for "dogs" as compared to "Bitcoin" and it gives you a vague idea.  I am not sure what circle you are in but none of my friends or family had ever heard about it until I mentioned it to them.  We are early adopters.  You might not believe that but it is true just the same.  If you want to prove me wrong then take my challenge.  Buy 1BTC hold it for a few years and if you have not made a significant amount of money you can say, "I told you so."  

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:23:59 AM

....However probably lots of early miners sold off for a few bucks per coin.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Tongue

Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:30:09 AM

I would say that something like 99.6% of the world is not aware of what the bitcoin protocol is capable of, including more than 3/4 of the people who are invested in it, such as the OP. In this sense, it is very much still unknown, and not a "fully disseminated", as you've described it. People can project market caps onto bitcoin based on real world currencies, companies, and commodities that are 10s to 100's of times what bitcoin is valued at now, and it sounds fantastical, but the possibilites are so much more than just that. People like me just stay quiet in these discussions, because the guy saying bitcoin will be worth $10,000 already sounds crazy enough, and while I agree with his conclusion, it's not for the reasons he is giving.

Blockchain will be used for more than a financial ledger. Use your imagination to think of the biggest problems the world faces today, and how a decentralized peer to peer system in place to determine how to solve that problem and supply funding for that solution simultaneosly, and near instantaneously while being completely impervious to corruption might look. Suddenly, the concept of leadership, regulation, and boundaries will seem unecessary and unwieldy.
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:31:11 AM

no guts, no glory.

Bitcoin went from $1 to $200.  Thousands of people knew about Bitcoin when it was $1.  There were even mainstream newstories by then.  By your "logic" the rise from $1 to $200 should be impossible. 

The fact that the prior history of Bitcoin disproves your very claim doesn't it at least seem possible that the future unwritten history of Bitcoin will do the same?

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. THE RISE FROM $1 TO $200 WAS THE BOAT COMING IN. IT IS GONE NOW
steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:33:59 AM

no guts, no glory.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. THE RISE FROM $1 TO $200 WAS THE BOAT COMING IN. IT IS GONE NOW

Yawn
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:34:31 AM

1)  Its Moot not Mute

Fleabag,

You should take some time to understand a little more about markets.  What your not considering is market cap.  Take apple for intance, which you referenced earlier.  The market cap is roughly $500 billion and the price is roughly $500 with roughly 1 billion shares outstanding.  Bitcoin has a market cap of a bit over $2 billion and a price of around $200 with a bit over 11 million coins outstanding.

Although Apple is about 2.5 times the price of bitcoin, its market cap is 250 times that of bitcoin.  if bitcoin were to reach the market cap of Apple, the price would be $50,000/bitcoin with the current number of coins outstanding.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:36:21 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2013, 05:12:08 AM by johnyj

I just came over this post on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1owf4v/im_rick_falkvinge_founder_of_the_first_pirate/ccwbao9

This guy, said to be a bitcoin believer, invested most of his money when bitcoin worth $7, but then sold all of them when price crashed back under $7. And he bought again at $3, but trade in the market and did not make significant money

It is no difference now, if you don't believe in the long term success of bitcoin, you will be wiped out by the market swings, it does not really matter when did you enter the market

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:38:44 AM

no guts, no glory.

I thought the rise from a penny to $1 was the boat coming in.  Shouldn't the rise from $1 to $200 be impossible.  The "investment" had already rose 10,000%.   Thousands of people knew about it.  There was media attention.   It was to use your crude language "after the fact".   It shouldn't have been possible for that second round of adopters to profit 10,000% as well. 

What about the subsequent crash back to $5.  You said $1,000 is possible.   $5 was certainly "after the boat" once again using your redicuoulous logic.  Someone buying in at $5 and selling at $1000 would be looking at 20,000% return.  Shouldn't that also be impossible?
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:46:24 AM

1)  Its Moot not Mute

Examples in the past???

The internet never had anything that preceded it.  Bitcoin is the "internet" of money.  There is nothing like it so we cannot really compare it to anything else.

I do not understand your comment of "AFTER THE FACT."  So many people do not even know about Bitcoin yet or use it.  Just look at the number of posts on Facebook pages for "dogs" as compared to "Bitcoin" and it gives you a vague idea.  I am not sure what circle you are in but none of my friends or family had ever heard about it until I mentioned it to them.  We are early adopters.  You might not believe that but it is true just the same.  If you want to prove me wrong then take my challenge.  Buy 1BTC hold it for a few years and if you have not made a significant amount of money you can say, "I told you so."  

I GIVE UP! i GUESS THE FACT THAT I HAVE BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO SEE HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED, YOU ALL WILL HAVE TO LEARN ON YOUR OWN.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 12:49:19 AM

Come on people you are missing the point. Tell me some success stories of investments where people made a ton of money and the idea was already set in motion? AFTER THE FACT!  You people now missed the boat and the REAL money is long gone. Give me an example of an investment that proves my point wrong. I am not denying the fact that there is money to be made yet. All I am saying is that very rarely are you going to get rich on something that has already happened.

Bought SIRI at $1.85 on 06/07/2012 still riding to todays high of $4.12, plan on selling at ~5ish, didnt have the balls to buy at $.09
Bought FB at $26 have a sell order in at $55, which was almost triggered today, hit a high of $54.76

I would say those are some pretty healthy returns.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:57:36 AM

no guts, no glory.

I thought the rise from a penny to $1 was the boat coming in.  Shouldn't the rise from $1 to $200 be impossible.  The "investment" had already rose 10,000%.   Thousands of people knew about it.  There was media attention.   It was to use your crude language "after the fact".   It shouldn't have been possible for that second round of adopters to profit 10,000% as well. 

What about the subsequent crash back to $5.  You said $1,000 is possible.   $5 was certainly "after the boat" once again using your redicuoulous logic.  Someone buying in at $5 and selling at $1000 would be looking at 20,000% return.  Shouldn't that also be impossible?
[/quote

YOU ARE PLAYING ON WORDS. YOU KNOW IT AND I KNOW IT THAT ALL THE ATTENTION WAS WHEN BITCOINS WENT TO $200+. wHEN DID ALL THE BIG VENTURE CAPITALISTS AND THE WINKLEVOSS TWINS START GETTING INVOLVED? WHEN THERE WAS SOME SUBSTANCE NOT WHEN IT WAS A PENNY. THEY DIDNT MISS THE BOAT BECAUSE THEY CAN BUY THE BOAT.
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:59:04 AM

Come on people you are missing the point. Tell me some success stories of investments where people made a ton of money and the idea was already set in motion? AFTER THE FACT!  You people now missed the boat and the REAL money is long gone. Give me an example of an investment that proves my point wrong. I am not denying the fact that there is money to be made yet. All I am saying is that very rarely are you going to get rich on something that has already happened.

Bought SIRI at $1.85 on 06/07/2012 still riding to todays high of $4.12, plan on selling at ~5ish, didnt have the balls to buy at $.09
Bought FB at $26 have a sell order in at $55, which was almost triggered today, hit a high of $54.76

CANT USE STOCKS IN THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. GOOD JOB THOUGH ON THE STOCKS.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:06:32 AM

CANT USE STOCKS IN THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. GOOD JOB THOUGH ON THE STOCKS.

Do you like being dumb?
fleabag (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:07:12 AM

IM OUT FOR THE NIGHT. YOU GUYS ARE GOOD SPORTS ABOUT IT. I ENJOYED THE DEBATE. I REALLY AND HONESTLY HOPE YOU ALL MAKE ALOT OF $$$$$$$$. I JUST THINK ITS A TOUGH PROPOSITION AT THIS POINT IN TIME.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: