Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:34:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I buy a new gaming PC to also mine?  (Read 191 times)
matthewoz101 (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:34:08 PM

The prices of graphic cards are starting to drop. I'm starting to see GTX 1080's under $600.

I'm completely new at mining. I've only mined a couple of alt coins on my laptop. My question is, should I buy a new gaming PC with a motherboard that allows multiple graphic cards? When I'm not using the machine, it could be used for mining? Would buying multiple graphic cards over time be worth it? And would I be able to get a 100% return on investment before the end of 2018?

Any answers would be great. The other option would be to get an AntMiner instead of multiple graphic cards. So, what are your thoughts?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:12:54 AM

If you were thinking of buying a new gaming PC anyway, and plan on mining with it while it would be otherwise idle, then yes that might be a great idea.

I would also agree you should choose a motherboard that has multiple PCIe slots, 6 or so would be ideal, but even 4-5 will work to start out with. I would advice to start with one GPU at first and see how prices react int he coming weeks, as I havea feeling they will come down some more.
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:18:39 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll be keeping an eye out on the prices and profability of mining. The good thing is, if the profability of mining goes down, then the prices of graphic cards should decrease as well.

Either way, I'm excited to build a new gaming computer soon.
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:26:27 AM

-whether PC game or ordinary PC most important have PCIe to plug your GPU, actually, PC for mining enough using Celeron processor and RAM 4GB.

-at this time, I think the difficulty for 100% ROI if saw price almost all coin was diving but in Cryptocurrency, anyone doesn't know what will happen.

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 05:56:22 AM

You want minning buy i mine pos coin.
leftover_potato

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 06:06:50 AM

yes i do that. when it's idle i'll just set it for mining.

just make sure that all parts is under warranty.  Grin
qwertyking

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:15:58 AM

why not wait for the 20 series? it would be more efficient
chandrarahmadewa

Merit: 49

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:19:56 AM

The prices of graphic cards are starting to drop. I'm starting to see GTX 1080's under $600.

I'm completely new at mining. I've only mined a couple of alt coins on my laptop. My question is, should I buy a new gaming PC with a motherboard that allows multiple graphic cards? When I'm not using the machine, it could be used for mining? Would buying multiple graphic cards over time be worth it? And would I be able to get a 100% return on investment before the end of 2018?

Any answers would be great. The other option would be to get an AntMiner instead of multiple graphic cards. So, what are your thoughts?
Hello friend
I think it's worth using a graphics card (GPU), because it's like an investment, you can sell it if you do not use it. Antminer (ASIC) keeps upgrading its products, so the price goes down.
You should do some research before buying!
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:29:03 AM

yeah, you can purchase that PC. I doubt before end 2018 can ROI. better you wait until price a GPU really down. while waiting you can learn about all mining and which coin would be mined.

matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:03:40 PM

Yes. I'll be waiting at least a month or two at least. Should I buy the new 20 series? Or will it be overpriced? The price of the 1080 ti should decrease. I guess it depends on what deals I can find for adding graphic cards.
Subutai

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:51:52 PM

It's fine to have a dual machine, but a couple things to understand:

To get the most out of your GPU, you will need to BIOS mod it, and potentially use different drivers, plus overclocking it for mining. All of these things are not really something you can do while also using that GPU for gaming, at least I wouldnt recommend it.

If you are fine not having an optimized card, just keep in mind you will drastically reduce the lifespan of the card, and may see some issues while gaming. Heat may also quickly become an issue in a standard closed gaming case.
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 07:02:01 PM

You can forget about your plans. The payback period for the equipment for mining for about a year. This means that I can confidently say that you will not be able to return your investment until the end of 2018. Many people mistakenly think that there is no risk for mining. That's not so. Now for example it is not known what will happen to the cryptonight algorithm. And I have a lot of different arguments.
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 07:05:41 PM

i have 8 vegas on my gaming pc, with a strong cpu and enough ram u can even play on 1 vega and mine on the other 7 Grin

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 08:10:43 PM

When I'm not using the machine, it could be used for mining?

If you plan to part-time mining, maybe you need to read up more info about pool payment systems such as PPS, PPLNS, DGM, etc. It will give you information about a correlation between time stay and miner's rewards on the pool. Some pool payment scheme even can be tricked by the practice of mining called Pool-Hooping (popular 1-2 years ago).

And would I be able to get a 100% return on investment before the end of 2018?

Depend on many things.

The other option would be to get an AntMiner instead of multiple graphic cards. So, what are your thoughts?

A few threads have given a comparison of ASIC and GPUs, may, can be your reference. Use the search function.
p337miner

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 09:16:12 PM

If you were gonna build a dual gpu PC for gaming - the SLI combo would only be necessary for 4k res or games that can utilise it. Otherwise - I wouldn't fry a really good CPU corei5 or i7 for mining. Not necessarily frying it, but you might as well buy an extra Celeron CPU, but swapping them out would be a slight hassle.

Games don't support triple SLI combos anymore.

IMO make seperate systems and move the graphics cards around. At the moment you're looking at around 1-1.50usd per day per gpu. So maybe just make a nice gaming PC with 1 GPU with 3-4 PCIE slots so if you want to add more later on you can!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
qwertyking

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 02:03:30 AM

Yes. I'll be waiting at least a month or two at least. Should I buy the new 20 series? Or will it be overpriced? The price of the 1080 ti should decrease. I guess it depends on what deals I can find for adding graphic cards.
I believe that 2080(supposed the new series is going to be named like this) will be slightly more powerful than 1080ti and the hashrate power rate would be higher, it might be overpriced but it is still the better choice to choose 2080. And it is said that the manufacture of 1080ti is being halted gradually now, you may have no chance to buy brand new 1080ti if the new series is released.
Bulitt

Activity: 108
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 02:09:30 AM

Do you currently have a gaming PC? Just do hand-me-downs and use that motherboard as your mining rig start.
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:10:32 AM

I believe that 2080(supposed the new series is going to be named like this) will be slightly more powerful than 1080ti and the hashrate power rate would be higher, it might be overpriced but it is still the better choice to choose 2080. And it is said that the manufacture of 1080ti is being halted gradually now, you may have no chance to buy brand new 1080ti if the new series is released.

Thanks for the information! Will definitely try to get my hands on the new 2080. I'll keep an eye out.
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:13:36 AM

If you were gonna build a dual gpu PC for gaming - the SLI combo would only be necessary for 4k res or games that can utilise it. Otherwise - I wouldn't fry a really good CPU corei5 or i7 for mining. Not necessarily frying it, but you might as well buy an extra Celeron CPU, but swapping them out would be a slight hassle.

Games don't support triple SLI combos anymore.

IMO make seperate systems and move the graphics cards around. At the moment you're looking at around 1-1.50usd per day per gpu. So maybe just make a nice gaming PC with 1 GPU with 3-4 PCIE slots so if you want to add more later on you can!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to an update!

I wasn't planning to mine with the cpu. The idea was to get build a gaming PC with one really nice GTX 2080 and then buy a motherboard that would allow multiple graphic cards to be connected. Then gradually add on graphic cards to increase mining profability.

It also depends on how much I'll be using the computer on a daily basis. Wouldn't want to be mining while trying to game/stream.

matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:15:27 AM

i have 8 vegas on my gaming pc, with a strong cpu and enough ram u can even play on 1 vega and mine on the other 7 Grin

O wow! That's great. May have to try that out. It may be too noisy if I wanted to stream along with gaming? I'll have to keep researching this stuff Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: