Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:52:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin DNS addresses  (Read 1663 times)
wessorh (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 11:56:13 PM

Just got out of newby jail...

I'm working on a set of patches centered around leveraging the DNS to facilitate looking up a bitcoin address for sendtoaddress. Currently the server expects a bitcoin address like 1GCVXLfF1TcpnnDLJRHk845NZhuJWQTnUD

These addresses are too hard for my friends to remember and I'd like to make it easier to use an address that looks much more like an eamil address. I have a patch to sendtoaddress so that it can take something like rick@wesson.us which is not an email address.

In the DNS under wesson.us I've included a TXT record which can be resolved by prepending _btc and replacing the at (@) with a dot (.) so rick@wesson.us becomes _btc.rick.wesson.us which can be resolved to the following text...
Code:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> _btc.rick.wesson.us txt
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42745
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_btc.rick.wesson.us.           IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_btc.rick.wesson.us.    300     IN      TXT     "BTC=1; 1GCVXLfF1TcpnnDLJRHk845NZhuJWQTnUD"

;; Query time: 159 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.2.2#53(192.168.2.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Jul 25 16:51:31 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91

I'm working on two efforts, one to patch sendtoaddress to preform the lookup if the address has an at-sign (@) and to encourage wallet hosting folks to also put their userids in the DNS as a text record. The second effort is to write a internet-draft that explains how to use the TXT record for bitcoin wallets and describe a potential new resource record called the Wallet Address or WA

I understand this effort will potentially erode some annomity for those that use it, and that what I'd like comments on. What is the social contract for ease of use -vs- security by obscurity. I'm also generally interested in comments on getting patches into the main line to support bitcoin adresses in the DNS.

-rick

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 12:21:01 AM

Monitoring...

Also, if anyone doesn't want to appear in those DNS, nobody can force them so I don't see any problem about anonymity

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 01:08:50 AM

Just got out of newby jail...

I'm working on a set of patches centered around leveraging the DNS to facilitate looking up a bitcoin address for sendtoaddress. Currently the server expects a bitcoin address like 1GCVXLfF1TcpnnDLJRHk845NZhuJWQTnUD

These addresses are too hard for my friends to remember and I'd like to make it easier to use an address that looks much more like an eamil address. I have a patch to sendtoaddress so that it can take something like rick@wesson.us which is not an email address.

In the DNS under wesson.us I've included a TXT record which can be resolved by prepending _btc and replacing the at (@) with a dot (.) so rick@wesson.us becomes _btc.rick.wesson.us which can be resolved to the following text...
Code:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> _btc.rick.wesson.us txt
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42745
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_btc.rick.wesson.us.           IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_btc.rick.wesson.us.    300     IN      TXT     "BTC=1; 1GCVXLfF1TcpnnDLJRHk845NZhuJWQTnUD"

;; Query time: 159 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.2.2#53(192.168.2.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Jul 25 16:51:31 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91

I'm working on two efforts, one to patch sendtoaddress to preform the lookup if the address has an at-sign (@) and to encourage wallet hosting folks to also put their userids in the DNS as a text record. The second effort is to write a internet-draft that explains how to use the TXT record for bitcoin wallets and describe a potential new resource record called the Wallet Address or WA

I understand this effort will potentially erode some annomity for those that use it, and that what I'd like comments on. What is the social contract for ease of use -vs- security by obscurity. I'm also generally interested in comments on getting patches into the main line to support bitcoin adresses in the DNS.

-rick

I think that won't work, because recommended practice for a merchant is to use new address for every incoming transaction to verify that the payment was received from a customer https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Merchant_Howto#Common_Errors .
wessorh (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 02:46:24 AM

There are several options for merchants, my first goal was to address my friends ;-)

For the merchant simply including an identifier to map your transaction back to. One might include this identifier in the "message" portion of the transaction. The identifier could be anything, your street address for pizza delivery, your email (pay-from) address which could be resolved from the DNS (again) or a simple pin.

If the transaction fees are less than current electronic transactions and easier to use than cash I'd say both the merchant and the customer win.

maybe I'm wrong with the message space being used to identify the sender, but both the sender and merchant would benefit by ease of use. If the merchant can look up the address to expect a transaction from then haven't we addressed your issue.
(M)erchant
(C)ustomer

C: I want a pizza
M: takes order, informs C to pay X to merchant.example.com
C: ok, its coming from customer.example.com
M: have a drink, its on the house this might a day to clear
<time passes>
M: sees txn from <address> verifies address is associated with customer.example.com
C: takes pizza

In this case the "message" field of the transaction wasn't populated, but it could have helped.

Looking forward to learning if the message field can be leveraged for the above.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: