Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:12:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Liberty Reserve? READ THIS NOW!  (Read 22776 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 02:55:23 AM

To make that more survivable it might be handy to have a way of generating a keypair from a memorable password or phrase. So you could have at least one and maybe a few private keys in your head easily, needing only access to the app that can turn that into a private key fmatching one of your addresses you keep a stash in. I am not familiar enough with how much latitude one has in inventing keys to know if that is at all feasible though.

If not I guess one could come up with schemes for inventing mnemonics for private keys then generate lots of keys with corresponding mnemonics until you find one you find memorable.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 08:51:25 AM

To make that more survivable it might be handy to have a way of generating a keypair from a memorable password or phrase. So you could have at least one and maybe a few private keys in your head easily, needing only access to the app that can turn that into a private key fmatching one of your addresses you keep a stash in. I am not familiar enough with how much latitude one has in inventing keys to know if that is at all feasible though.

If not I guess one could come up with schemes for inventing mnemonics for private keys then generate lots of keys with corresponding mnemonics until you find one you find memorable.

-MarkM-

If the client supported generating a keypair using a strong password as a deterministic random number seed (such as by hashing it and generating the keypair from the hash, instead of from random numbers), then you could always generate that same keypair from scratch as long as you knew the password.

This could also help websites systematically generate addresses without needing constant access to a wallet or a bitcoind instance...e.g. sha256("i-am-generating-an-address-for-invoice-number-65432-salt-salt-salt-salt")

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
austinlorenz

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 06:00:21 AM

I tried creating an account on liberty reserve and it didn't work.  I kept getting an "invalid turing number" error.  Are they no longer accepting new accounts?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2011, 06:06:47 AM

I tried creating an account on liberty reserve and it didn't work.  I kept getting an "invalid turing number" error.  Are they no longer accepting new accounts?

It sounds like you didn't provide the correct response to their captcha.  That's probably what "turing" refers to.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
austinlorenz

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 06:08:00 AM

It sounds like you didn't provide the correct response to their captcha.  That's probably what "turing" refers to.

It is, but I tried about 20 times, and I have no trouble with captchas.  Someone else should try and see what happens.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 07:02:50 AM

It is, but I tried about 20 times, and I have no trouble with captchas.  Someone else should try and see what happens.
austin's right. I just tried to make an account and got the same error. They're really, really easy captchas too.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 10:37:44 PM

LR is working fine,
every year someone comes out of the woodwork with some fear mongering claims that LR
are going to close, or they are shutting down, and it never happens.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 09:09:37 AM

LR is working fine,
every year someone comes out of the woodwork with some fear mongering claims that LR

Looks like Madhatter was right though.

Clap, clap.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:01:11 PM

LR is working fine,

Looks like Madhatter was right though.

Clap, clap.

That would actually be an excellent opportunity for Bitcoin if LR was dying.

Everybody would quickly dump LR, and with nowhere to go - a lot of them could go Bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: