Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:34:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin cost $1,000 someday? $10,000? My opinion: No.  (Read 6876 times)
stash

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

btcmy.net

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 01:13:47 PM

I LOL'd hard.  Grin

Tehtarik Fund : 1KxyB3iauJzLvDnZuchekGkB2D7p4UMvuq
BTCitcoin : Mathematical Logic to Eliminate Human Greed
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:51:05 PM

If you buy them now they won't ever cost you $10k Smiley (unless you sell and rebuy)
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 04:59:01 PM

The centralization of BTC owners (big corps, governments, rich people)

Of all things, why would that prevent Bitcoin to rise in value?

I mean, we may not like it if Bitcoin develops that way, but don't confuse your personal likes and dislikes with the market.

A well researched study shows that Bitcoin is not very centralized:
- Half of the coins are held by 1,000 users
- The other half is held by the rest 350,000.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 07:02:29 PM

The centralization of BTC owners (big corps, governments, rich people)

Of all things, why would that prevent Bitcoin to rise in value?

I mean, we may not like it if Bitcoin develops that way, but don't confuse your personal likes and dislikes with the market.

A well researched study shows that Bitcoin is not very centralized:
- Half of the coins are held by 1,000 users
- The other half is held by the rest 350,000.

Thanks for that link. My coins are separated into several accounts, most of which fall into the same group as the total. If you give me the data I can tell you if you counted me once or several times.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 06:29:30 AM

Just read the link, the study is not about addresses, rather statistical methods.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:32:24 AM

I think $10,000 is likely to happen before $10.

For some reason, I am convinced that the US is going to do something silly like impose capital controls. That will immediately triple the price (to about $600 USD/BTC). Hyperinflation state-side will then make BTC worth $10,000USD/BTC within 2 years.

For it to drop to $10/BTC, the Internet would have to be shut-down for an extended period of time. Could happen, but it would have to be an event more catastrophic that a nuclear exchange between the super-powers. Sad

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 12:46:05 PM

For it to drop to $10/BTC, the Internet would have to be shut-down for an extended period of time. Could happen, but it would have to be an event more catastrophic that a nuclear exchange between the super-powers. Sad

We'd be facing larger problems, such as the struggle to continue to breath.
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:42:34 PM

my opinion YES, if ppl are more inerested in this currency

billington.mark

Activity: 153

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 01:56:00 PM

The main thing ive noticed when explaining bitcoin is that the vast majority people don't realise how the current fiat monetary system works.
When i show people this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0#t=71, (which i think explains it the best) most people are shocked and dont believe it.

Even if bitcoin doesnt work out in the long term, its opening peoples eyes to the way the current financial system is being run, how it isnt sustainable and gives them a kick to do something more intelligent with their assets. Is that bitcoin, gold, silver, property, antiques, etc..? ive not worked that part out just yet!

BTC - 1MarkBCmVn3yp1SB9RZZ7VfqJzkpV8Hmdo
BitMessage - BM-GtZkeAbmKGs77FEoigm9TmsQBSfvMB3N
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:58:08 PM

The main thing ive noticed when explaining bitcoin is that the vast majority people don't realise how the current fiat monetary system works.
When i show people this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0#t=71, (which i think explains it the best) most people are shocked and dont believe it.

Even if bitcoin doesnt work out in the long term, its opening peoples eyes to the way the current financial system is being run, how it isnt sustainable and gives them a kick to do something more intelligent with their assets. Is that bitcoin, gold, silver, property, antiques, etc..? ive not worked that part out just yet!

This is a perfect video to show some people. Thank you.
Corelianer

Activity: 309

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:07:23 PM

For some reason, I am convinced that the US is going to do something silly like impose capital controls. That will immediately triple the price (to about $600 USD/BTC). Hyperinflation state-side will then make BTC worth $10,000USD/BTC within 2 years.

I think the price goes to $10/BTC if a governement sizes Gox or Bitstamp.
If you cannot exchange your Bitcoins against fiat, you are screwed.
zengryT

Activity: 745
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:11:39 PM

You have to comply with law regulations, thats where MtGox failed in US, thats why the US bank accounts MtGox seizure

Not managing signature campaigns anymore.
Corelianer

Activity: 309

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:21:35 PM

You have to comply with law regulations, thats where MtGox failed in US, thats why the US bank accounts MtGox seizure

That's the thing, Bitcoin is still in the grey aera, a couple countries made comments...
Thailand--> forbiden
Germany--> partially tax-free
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:43:44 PM

MtGox' problems have not crushed bitcoin, and it is unlikely that there would be much effect (anymore) if they vanished from the Earth.

I think MtGox played their demise quite gracefully as it did not bring severe market disruption.

This is a further proof that Bitcoin survives anything, but you need to be very careful to whom you trust your bitcoins.

rampalija

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:12:47 PM

me too so funny

somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:20:08 PM

That's the thing, Bitcoin is still in the grey aera, a couple countries made comments...
Thailand--> forbiden
Bitcoins are not illegal in Thailand, and you're supposed to pay sales tax on them in Germany.
theecoinomist

Activity: 200

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:05:21 PM

Thailand--> forbiden
Bitcoins are not illegal in Thailand, and you're supposed to pay sales tax on them in Germany.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:20:46 PM

Thailand--> forbiden

concerning germany:
no, there is no vat on btc (like when you buy silver, there is 19% vat added to what you have to pay for your silver)

also, there is no capital gains tax on btc when you hold the coin longer than a year. (in difference to stocks, where you have to pay such a tax, no matter when you cash out)

when you pay something with btc, you still have to pay the vat that is on the item you buy. paying with btc doesn´t erase the vat on the item you buy.

so bitcoins tax status in germany is better then silver or stocks or other forms of investment.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:22:49 PM

+1. And real estate is dirt cheap. In Berlin everything costs half of what it costs in Helsinki (except housing is 70% cheaper)

rampalija

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:22:19 PM

robably has to do with the Canada and China news.

All at once, it makes it seem like Bitcoin could hit $300 sooner than could have been predicted. I thought $300 was a while off

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: