Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:02:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sudden new largest bitcoin address as of 10/25  (Read 12512 times)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:38:04 PM

This is now the top story at forbes.com.

It was also pointed out by Mike Caldwell in the Press section that "FBI" encodes as "324" on a telephone pad.  Does that not seem like too much fanfare for the FBI?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:43:12 PM

This is now the top story at forbes.com.

It was also pointed out by Mike Caldwell in the Press section that "FBI" encodes as "324" on a telephone pad.  Does that not seem like too much fanfare for the FBI?

No, not really that much fanfare, just their way to celebrate and rub it on the "criminals"* faces. I've seen cops in my country drawing their initials(PJ, GNR, PSP) with the bank notes they seize, when showing off the stash to the media.

*"Criminals" because when the cops do that most of said "criminals" weren't found yet to be guilty of any crime by a court of law.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:15:15 PM

Just for clarity, they are NOT the FBI's bitcoins now.   Like all seized assets, IF the accused is convicted (that takes some time although less time if he has no money and is going to use a PD) then the FBI will liquidate these seized assets.   Cash, they keep.   Everything else gets auctioned off.   It is likely these BTC wallet(s) will be auctioned IF a conviction is achieved.
Is FBI FinCEN compliant? Tongue
I thought FinCEN said Bitcoin is money, US regulators have to get their shit together!...
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:16:06 PM

Just for clarity, they are NOT the FBI's bitcoins now.   Like all seized assets, IF the accused is convicted (that takes some time although less time if he has no money and is going to use a PD) then the FBI will liquidate these seized assets.   Cash, they keep.   Everything else gets auctioned off.   It is likely these BTC wallet(s) will be auctioned IF a conviction is achieved.
I thought FinCEN said Bitcoin is money, US regulators have to get their shit together!...

FBI is exempt from money transmitter regulations

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:17:41 PM

So what is the reasoning for the 354BTC transactions?

Just looking at this on blockchain.info. Interesting. Why 324?
Spells FBI on phone? I don't know.
klee
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:20:13 PM

I thought FinCEN was on top of MIB, who are on top of NSA, which is on top of FBI/CIA... Smiley
notme
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:22:01 PM

I thought FinCEN was on top of MIB, who are on top of NSA, which is on top of FBI/CIA... Smiley

http://www.fincen.gov/financial_institutions/msb/definitions/exceptions.html

Exceptions - Certain MSBs are not required to register:

Solely an agent. - A person that is an MSB solely because that person serves as an agent of another MSB is not required to register. However, a person that is an MSB both because it engages in MSB activities on its own behalf and as an agent of another MSB, must register.

Stored value. - A person that is an MSB solely as an issuer, seller, or redeemer of stored value is not required to register. However, a person that is an MSB as an issuer, seller, or redeemer of stored value and engages in MSB activities (of a nature and value that cause the person to be an MSB on a basis other than stored value) must register.

U.S. Postal Service.

Government Agencies. Agencies of the United States, of any State, or of any political subdivision of any State.

klee
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:29:11 PM

Just for clarity, they are NOT the FBI's bitcoins now.   Like all seized assets, IF the accused is convicted (that takes some time although less time if he has no money and is going to use a PD) then the FBI will liquidate these seized assets.   Cash, they keep.   Everything else gets auctioned off.   It is likely these BTC wallet(s) will be auctioned IF a conviction is achieved.

Solely an agent. - A person that is an MSB solely because that person serves as an agent of another MSB is not required to register. However, a person that is an MSB both because it engages in MSB activities on its own behalf and as an agent of another MSB, must register.

Stored value. - A person that is an MSB solely as an issuer, seller, or redeemer of stored value is not required to register. However, a person that is an MSB as an issuer, seller, or redeemer of stored value and engages in MSB activities (of a nature and value that cause the person to be an MSB on a basis other than stored value) must register.

U.S. Postal Service.

Government Agencies. Agencies of the United States, of any State, or of any political subdivision of any State.
I know mate, I am just joking because there was a guy from Free Banking site who was spreading FUD about the power of FinCEN on Bitcoin.
I deleted and blocked him from my Facebook page - he was the one that made an interview in a radio show, maybe 'Let's Talk Bitcoin', not sure...
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:38:38 PM

guess its worth the shot to try to mine the private key of this address

if God is on your side...
notme
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:41:27 PM

Just for clarity, they are NOT the FBI's bitcoins now.   Like all seized assets, IF the accused is convicted (that takes some time although less time if he has no money and is going to use a PD) then the FBI will liquidate these seized assets.   Cash, they keep.   Everything else gets auctioned off.   It is likely these BTC wallet(s) will be auctioned IF a conviction is achieved.

U.S. Postal Service.

I know mate, I am just joking because there was a guy from Free Banking site who was spreading FUD about the power of FinCEN on Bitcoin.
I deleted and blocked him from my Facebook page - he was the one that made an interview in a radio show, maybe 'Let's Talk Bitcoin', not sure...

If you joke requires such a lengthy explanation, involving experiences you had on different web site, it's probably not a good joke Tongue.

PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:48:22 PM

I think you might be too late

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:50:17 PM

I think you might be too late

Mine to spend the coins...

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:33:42 PM

FBI didn't even pay fees on any of their transactions...

Will

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:42:23 PM

Please educate a noob.  How does the address get labeled "DPR Seized Coins"?  How is consensus reached out something like that, or is that strictly something blockchain.info adds?
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:44:14 PM

Please educate a noob.  How does the address get labeled "DPR Seized Coins"?  How is consensus reached out something like that, or is that strictly something blockchain.info adds?

a bitcoin address can be voluntarily tagged with a name and link by supplying a website that contains the address.

https://blockchain.info/tags

Will

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:52:49 PM

Please educate a noob.  How does the address get labeled "DPR Seized Coins"?  How is consensus reached out something like that, or is that strictly something blockchain.info adds?

a bitcoin address can be voluntarily tagged with a name and link by supplying a website that contains the address.

Will

Ok, thanks.  So can someone just override that or did blockchain.info "verify" it via the link (and basically say that, yes, "DPR Seized Coins" is basically accurate)?
jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 10:43:26 PM

Please educate a noob.  How does the address get labeled "DPR Seized Coins"?  How is consensus reached out something like that, or is that strictly something blockchain.info adds?

Will

Ok, thanks.  So can someone just override that or did blockchain.info "verify" it via the link (and basically say that, yes, "DPR Seized Coins" is basically accurate)?

it's only labeled on the blockchain.info website, the label has nothing to do with the bitcoin protocol

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 11:37:11 PM

So what happens if the Feds sell the Bitcoins to J.P. Morgan and they used them for manipulating the Bitcoin markets just like they manipulate the gold and silver markets?

Could this spell the end of Bitcoin?
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 11:38:27 PM

So what happens if the Feds sell the Bitcoins to J.P. Morgan and they used them for manipulating the Bitcoin markets just like they manipulate the gold and silver markets.

Just the end of the beginning.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
knight

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:07:43 AM

So what happens if the Feds sell the Bitcoins to J.P. Morgan and they used them for manipulating the Bitcoin markets just like they manipulate the gold and silver markets.

Just the end of the beginning.

I don't usually write in speculation forum, but here's what I have to say.

Guess: DPR will face a difficult trial. Most likely, it will take at least 12 months to get a verdict, assuming he's not gonna plea guilty.
Fact: FBI HAS some +170k coins  . Valued at about 30 mil USD, they cannot sell them on eBay/MtGox/Bitcoinica. They can keep them (they can invoke some reasons for that) or auction them AFTER the trial. The problem is, while BTC rises in value, the US Govt gets a fuckin' ton of BTC (money is not important). But power it is.

Meanwhile little boys and girls, bears, bulls, whales, manipulators, speculators and ever single living person knowing about bitcoin were busy "making profit", big guys had a solid agenda. Don't be fooled even for one second that they were chasing SilkRoad, to shut it down because it sold drugs and guns. No. They were chasing down a movement. They were chasing bitcoin. Even if they didn't confiscate any coins, they would still be winners because they shut down the first, biggest illegal bitcoin marketplace. Cum laudae.

So, what can be done about this? One hard thing. Take out your coins from exchanges, into your wallets, make stashes, unite, fight. Create 100 silkroads. 1000 exchanges. 10,000 services and business.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: