Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:08:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL mentality destroys the currency aspect of Bitcoin  (Read 980 times)
Canis Majoris (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:22:19 PM

Well, HODL is a form of investment and I don't think it destroys the Bitcoin but rather it will strengthen its value. There is also the volume in circulation that is actively being traded, making the market alive.
I agree with you. I also think that holding it does not destroy Bitcoin but actually increase the value of Bitcoin. With our continuous hold, of course, the value of Bitcoin will continue to be high.

I have to disagree with this attitude. It may look like it helps increase the value of Bitcoin, but all it actually does - in the best case scenario - is raise the price of Bitcoin. But because the former is not the latter, the discrepancy between the two blows out of proportion that ends up in extreme volatility. The effect of these levels of volatility we are yet to see, but it can be said with certainty that it won't facilitate Bitcoin's adoption in the real world.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:29:12 PM

It seems like only a small fraction of bitcoins as well as other cryptocurrencies gets earned while the vast majority of the coins are bought. But when people buy coins, they obviously aim exclusively at selling them later at a higher price, which is what speculation basically consists in because it makes no economic sense to buy a cryptocurrency to spend it on goods when people can easily spend fiat instead. However, if the price goes down, people aren't going to spend their coins either. And whenever someone complains about prices going down, the only reply they receive is just to hold to their precious bitcoins, no matter what the price could or would be. I have yet to meet anyone telling these bag holders to spend their stashes on something useful.

Apparently, the HODL mentality kills the currency aspect of Bitcoin.
no holding destory a lot of people because theyre assuming that they will get a lot of money in the future but they didnt know that short trading is more ggoood than holding it for a long time its too late to hold your bitcoin because it pumpso very high but its more good if you have a bitcoins in 2015 i think holding will destroy a lot of people their mind if they loss.
In short, people do only mainly choose up to play safe (not totally safe since of the volatileness aspect of cryptocurrencies specially on bitcoin). Holding for long terms is somehow less risky compared on doing daily trades. We do know the risk if we do trade actively but we do know that the reward would really very be worth it.This is why some people do risk and able to do such thing but only on few numbers. Holding mentality cant really be removed into a certain person.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
BitcoinCommodor

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:58:48 AM

The reason why people always advice everyone to hold their coins is that they want greater profits and that’s what destroys the aspects of bitcoin. They all are longing for huge gains and that’s the irony of some holding their coins especially Bitcoin too.
Bitcoins are hard to predict. So if someone is interested to look out for earning from these coins, he must be clear about few things. And one of them is holding. Whenever prices are getting lower, don’t just be panicked rather wait until the best move could be taken. Wait for the time when prices will be getting back to their original position. But for this, you need to be patient and calm.
IndzheborgC

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 10:18:35 AM

A big influence now has the function of nominating all the remaining crypto coins. Bitcoin is convenient to have in order to buy a promising altcoin at the right time.
neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:15:23 AM

You offer a perfect example of what is called a non sequitur.

You offer a perfect example of someone who doesn't understand something so therefore thinks it is illogical.

High price for genuine jewelry doesn't mean that people buy it for the purpose of investing.

I'm not saying they buy it for investment but that the choice of precious metals and gems performs that function. If they just wanted it for ornamental purposes why do they pay hundreds of times the price they need to?
What I am saying is the reason jewellery has been made from gold since time began is because of its limited supply and therefore its function as a store of value.

It is simply pointless from an economic view-point. Those who are investing in precious metals buy coins and bars.

Actually, serious investors will do it through ETFs as that makes much more sense if viewed purely from an economic standpoint. But again that misses the point. The only reason there is demand for gold through jewellery is because of its function as a store of wealth.

Or do you seriously believe that when two people marry, they buy gold rings for investment purposes?

Do you seriously think that is what I'm suggesting?

Note that I don't reject the fact that high demand for gold and low supply of it account for the high prices of this precious metal.

So you understand part of the picture.

But the demand comes mostly from the glamor and personal adornment industry, but that has nothing to do with investing in precious metals.

And that industry only exists because gold acts as a store of wealth.

In my opinion, there is a slightly difference in between an asset and a currency and that they cannot be termed as the similar terms. Bitcoin is having so many advantages and features that it fulfills the criteria of being an asset as well as currency at the very same time. this is the reason why it is being used as both the ways and that this thing will keep on happening in the coming days as well.
This is the major reason why bitcoin is popular all over the world. Just because it has something for everyone. Those who want to use it as an asset, it is digital asset for them because holding it for long time increases it in value exponentially.

This is similar in fashion with other types of assets that have concrete existence. As a currency, it is also used by people for the clearance of their bills.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:59:11 AM

The reason why people always advice everyone to hold their coins is that they want greater profits and that’s what destroys the aspects of bitcoin. They all are longing for huge gains and that’s the irony of some holding their coins especially Bitcoin too.
Bitcoins are hard to predict. So if someone is interested to look out for earning from these coins, he must be clear about few things. And one of them is holding. Whenever prices are getting lower, don’t just be panicked rather wait until the best move could be taken. Wait for the time when prices will be getting back to their original position. But for this, you need to be patient and calm.

Well sometimes people want to be a bit safe with crypto's volatility so they hodl. I don't see anything wrong if someone doesn't have the resolve to go for a trade and opt instead to hold. Btc anyways is percieved to be a long term investment in the first place

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Canis Majoris (OP)

Merit: 59

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 07:41:40 PM

In short, people do only mainly choose up to play safe (not totally safe since of the volatileness aspect of cryptocurrencies specially on bitcoin). Holding for long terms is somehow less risky compared on doing daily trades. We do know the risk if we do trade actively but we do know that the reward would really very be worth it.This is why some people do risk and able to do such thing but only on few numbers. Holding mentality cant really be removed into a certain person.

Myself, I never understood that thing. Why is playing short term more risky? I for one am inclined to think in quite the opposite direction. When you are scalping, day trading, or doing whatever which involves only short-term holding of an asset, you basically give up potential profits in exchange for a smaller, or shorter risk exposure. Obviously, here I'm talking about experienced traders, not some newbies who don't know what they are doing, whether it be trading short or long term. All things considered, long-term holding is in fact more risky. It just happened that crypto had been very forgiving in this regard till recently, but these days may well be over by now.
StevenPop

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:18:47 PM

You're right on this one seeing as if people are focused on holding their coins then no one will be using it for buying and selling but we have to look at this from every angle. The people who are holding bitcoin are doing so because they bought bitcoin as an investment and not for use as a currency which means that they would have to hold in order to make money from it.
johnnythunder

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 03:53:55 AM

Because bitcoin in general and other altcoins in the cryptocurrency market are volatile, it is recommended to keep bitcoin for long-term investment. If you want to invest in short-term you must be a good trader otherwise you are very easy to lose your property due to the rapid change of this market. Bitcoin is not only considered a currency but also a valuable asset. You might make use of it as a currency today and regret why tomorrow.
meatballsset

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:03:28 PM

Many holders use bitcoin as an investment like shares. If the shares give dividends and increase in value then investors will keep them. If they drop they may hold for recovery.
cahgantenx

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:31:52 PM

It seems like only a small fraction of bitcoins as well as other cryptocurrencies gets earned while the vast majority of the coins are bought. But when people buy coins, they obviously aim exclusively at selling them later at a higher price, which is what speculation basically consists in because it makes no economic sense to buy a cryptocurrency to spend it on goods when people can easily spend fiat instead. However, if the price goes down, people aren't going to spend their coins either. And whenever someone complains about prices going down, the only reply they receive is just to hold to their precious bitcoins, no matter what the price could or would be. I have yet to meet anyone telling these bag holders to spend their stashes on something useful.

Apparently, the HODL mentality kills the currency aspect of Bitcoin.
I also do not really know if this Bitcoin when people are HOLD their coins then the price of Bitcoin will experience shakiness
Quraline

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:35:39 PM

This is the meaning of investing, buying when it's cheap and selling when it's expensive.
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:35:53 PM

But I think you realize that with this high volatility it's nearly impossible to genuinely go ahead and use it as a means of payment And all.
Till the time volatility will remain we won't be able to use it as a means of currency and we already have so many normal currencies in the market that I don't think we need anymore but yes this decentralized part could prove to be good.
I think it was meant for storage purpose not for being used as a normal currency , if it was so then there would have been rules and regulations to implement the stability of Bitcoins.
I think it's doing Preety good .

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
budakjawa

Activity: 471
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:21:15 PM

yes you really seem to hold the assets that can destroy the mental, because a lot of influence and bad news that makes the price of coin to collapse and it is terrible.

coingrowth

Activity: 416
Merit: 21

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 06:56:57 PM

This year crypto season hodl didn't work well many felt this hodl strategy put their accounts in loss but we should understand this is market correction so we should wait for market to pick up again
Eigig

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 07:13:44 PM

Hodl mentallity, does not really destroy aspects of bitcoin, hodl in a bitcoin for some time make your investment forsee a growth, because if you keep on selling and selling even if the narket is fall ,its a waste of your effort, you need to hodl , for some specific purpose of your coin and investment.
Geleve

Activity: 588
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 07:41:10 PM

well. the issue is bitcoin is only the first trial of cryptocurrencies. it is not a perfect one. so it is not possible to expect it to be a perfect currency. because of transaction speeds and fees. so approaching as an investment is also reasonable actually.
AAfunctionaluppityF

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 07:44:51 PM

I do not agree with you. HODL mentality is like a normal "long-term" investment.
A lot of people are doing it in the "real-economy" I don't understand why it couldn't work also for crypto currencies... It makes no sense!
DosPower

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 01:14:37 AM

If people didn't hold then the price of Bitcoin wouldn't be as high, but at least it would be stable.
bowals

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2018, 01:17:35 AM

seems true. the mentality and emphsis seems to be on hodl keeps me wondering about the original intent of the coin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: