Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:59:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I talked to some people at college about bitcoin and they laughed at me.  (Read 6970 times)
muasktak10 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 01:58:11 PM

We were talking about the twitter IPO, and one of the guys had invested in facebook when it launched, inside I laughed at him, but to maybe help them expand their horizons I brought up bitcoin, and told them about all of the money I have made, the ups and downs, its utility, how bitcoins are created etc etc... they started going online and looking up asics and shouting the names like they coulnd't take them seriously because of their names. I don't mine though, and I told them right now isn't the greatest time to invest in those. Then they started talking about buying a bunch of cheap computers off ebay, I'm pretty sure I explained the difficulty and the computing power needed. At least one of the guys was like, I'm gonna see this guy one day as a billionaire. The other guy not so much. I still can't tell if they were pulling my chain, maybe I'm too sensitive, but it sure felt like it... I guess I'll be the one laughing to the bank.
winnate

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:36:06 PM

Its a hard thing to understand unless your personally involved.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 02:40:51 PM

Who made the money? You!

Feel good😄

Dont worry so much about that what others say. When you get older you give a shit on what they say. Its good to spread the word.

muasktak10 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:46:02 PM

Who made the money? You!

Feel good😄

Dont worry so much about that what others say. When you get older you give a shit on what they say. Its good to spread the word.
they also started teasing me when I showed them my price chart app on my phone, they were like " do you sit there and watch it all day and cheer when it goes up"
leoragraves666

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:52:04 PM

People are thought whole life to cherish money (in paper form). Thats why it is so hard to explain, I am not trying any more. I just count the money  Wink

PC & Mac repairs
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:55:58 PM

Who made the money? You!

Feel good😄

they also started teasing me when I showed them my price chart app on my phone, they were like " do you sit there and watch it all day and cheer when it goes up"

Ask them if they sit and cry all day as their fiat wealth is inflated to all hell.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:59:17 PM

During this last "crash" I told my coworkers, "hey guys probably last chance, want some cheap coins?" and instead of the usual "no" this time I got "no I told you". So I guess, I must be boring with this bitcoin theme even when it's been at least 6 months since I last brought it up. Ok, no more feeling stupid when trying to help—fuck em. One day they'll come asking and I'll be glad to answer but until then, I'm not saying another single word.
tk1337

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:14:44 PM

ignorance is bliss...
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:19:42 PM

People don't really take it seriously yet. I've tried to explain the concept to a few friends but they still think the whole thing is BS.

that's great. it's when everyone and his grandma will invest in btc that i would go for the exit.
el_Tico

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:36:15 PM

Not everyone has the foresight to understand the possibilities that new technology can bring. I've had many people laugh at me but a few good people will listen. These are the ones who aren't closed to new ideas. If you think about it, changing a person's concept of money can drastically affect their perspective on how the world functions In a real deep way.
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:58:45 PM

In my experience, the laughing has decreased and the respect has increased with more and more serious inquiry. And I still get to keep the nickname of Mr. Bitcoin  Cool

Don't use BIPS!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 04:22:23 PM

We were talking about the twitter IPO, and one of the guys had invested in facebook when it launched, inside I laughed at him, but to maybe help them expand their horizons I brought up bitcoin, and told them about all of the money I have made, the ups and downs, its utility, how bitcoins are created etc etc... they started going online and looking up asics and shouting the names like they coulnd't take them seriously because of their names. I don't mine though, and I told them right now isn't the greatest time to invest in those. Then they started talking about buying a bunch of cheap computers off ebay, I'm pretty sure I explained the difficulty and the computing power needed. At least one of the guys was like, I'm gonna see this guy one day as a billionaire. The other guy not so much. I still can't tell if they were pulling my chain, maybe I'm too sensitive, but it sure felt like it... I guess I'll be the one laughing to the bank.

So, the guy who invested in Facebook after its IPO did so no earlier than day two when it was first available on the secondary market, thus was aware that it was going nowhere, but he's not interested in a money making machine name Monarch because...
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 04:34:42 PM

I wouldn't stress about it. These people sound like they are taking their insecurities out on you.

jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 05:18:22 PM

In my experience everyone, it is better to not be discouraged by the reactions of others, after all  was it not Thomas Edison that said, " We don't know 1 millionth of 1 percent of anything." If we think about that statement how can anyone be sure of what they know? or have just learned? No, you master it first, become an example, make your cash and remember Bitcoin is not the only show in town... it's the BATTERING RAM that will trash the gates for other cryptocurrencies... don't forget about them.

The total system is composed of various different forms of money, Bitcoin is the gateway into fiat. With merged mining many different schemes can be used like Demurrage, Devcoins charity system, Feathercoin and others... consider all the cryptocurrencies and you'll know there is a lot more money out there than just Bitcoin's 2 billion dollars.

I to am ridiculed by it... but I got Bitcoins, we'll see who has the last laugh... sure make people feel uncomfortable when they think about it someday.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 06:06:07 PM

Don't worry about it. I told someone about Bitcoin and they replied "Sounds like some people have too much spare time on their hands."

*shrug*, I haven't brought it up in conversation again with that person.

You have to accept that some people just won't be interested.

Rez

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 06:34:18 PM

"If you think I'm crazy, then let's have a little wager.

Let's wager one-tenth of a Bitcoin that, one year from now, I will be right about this.

If I'm wrong ... let's see here, one-tenth of a Bitcoin is roughly $20 right now - so, if I'm wrong, in a year, I'll pay you $20. Because obviously, if you're right and I'm wrong, then one-tenth of a Bitcoin will be worth less than that. So that'll be fair.

If you're wrong, however, one year from today you will pay me one-tenth of a Bitcoin.

Here, I know a notary public. Let's put this down on paper, just to be honest."

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 06:44:38 PM

That's what happened to the first people who tried to share their interest for Bitcoin on Slashdot. They were ridiculed, and the comment section turned into an enormous heap of scorn and sarcasm. I was there and remember asking to myself why people like slashdoters who have once lived the situation of being considered like lunatics can become so arrogant and do exactly the same to other people. That day, I ignored the comments and started to mine Bitcoin, but 99% of people on the thread just flocked with the bullies and missed the opportunity of becoming a second generation early adopter.
But now look at slashdot comments when a Bitcoin discussion is started: where is the scorn? Where is the sarcasm? It was all replaced by bitterness and cynism: people regret hat they didn't listen. Now they just want to avoid the subject. They were among the first people informed about Bitcoin and they just fucked up, and now they can only blame themselves.
So don't worry, you did your job by giving them the opportunity to be open minded and jump on the bandwagon. If they don't, they will likely regret it bitterly in a few years and you can just give them a pat in the back and pay them a round of drinks with all the money you have made.
hamiltino

Activity: 644

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 07:02:11 PM

Ay, same things happen to me.

You got to be well respected before people listen to you.

stacking coin
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 07:23:33 PM

I don't mind if people laugh. Bitcoin is a funny-sounding idea, after all. When I first heard about it, if I'd been in a different mindset at the time I might've laughed, too, but I knew I didn't understand it enough to decide it was ridiculous for sure, even though it sure sounded that way. Fortunately the person who mentioned it (I believe it was MoonShadow or Peter Surda, on another forum) was obviously intelligent so I pretty much knew it couldn't be as ridiculous as first impressions made it seem. If it was a misguided project, it had to be for a more subtle reason that these otherwise intelligent folks failed to catch - I noted to myself.

Still, I'm good at giving things the benefit of the doubt; most people just aren't that careful.

One thing I'm always sure to tell people first is, "When I first heard of Bitcoin it sounded totally ridiculous. I was ready to write it off completely but I had a few lingering questions. I looked into those and realized there could be something to it. Eventually something clicked and I saw that it deserved at least some research. A few days of intense research made me realize it was actually probably legit, for many counterintuitive reasons that require some understanding of both ecnomics and cryptography to fully appreciate. Eventually with further research all my questions were answered and I realized it was definitely legit and would probably change the world."
jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 07:25:41 PM

So let us not forget the example of slashdot, and remember the blockchain; The undisputed record of Bitcoin's history, everyone has to verify for themselves and work out the proof of work to make sure it is valid. That is the best way, use your judgement, use your intuition and work out the logic to build the next step. That is what I am doing, i see the system as sound, could it be better yeah for sure, but that is because I understand it and know the need for it in today's world.  

don't forget your own logic, don't stop adding to your own personal Blockchain, the record of your history from which you build upon. no sense in taking someone elses advice without doing a little thorough thinking.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: