Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:14:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public ledger like bitcoin or private ledger like Zcash, which one is better?  (Read 101 times)
greentech2 (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 01:54:53 PM

Edward Snowden said that public ledger is a big flaw in bitcoin blockchain. He prefers the private ledger like Zcash, DASH, Monero. Andreas M. Antonopoulos also said that he wants to modify bitcoin public ledger to something more private. So which one is better the public ledger or the private ledger? What are the pros and cons?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 08:17:25 PM

Both are two different characteristics and should not be compared because of this basic difference. Bitcoin, being an open ledger system brings transparency in the crypto transactions. Still majority of the governments are thinking it is a very high risk currency as it can be used for terrorism financing and money laundering. So private ledger system will have even lesser acceptance rate. I think open ledger system is better and truly decentralized.

tdrinker

Activity: 276
Merit: 103

Join FlipNpik Telegram : t.me/flipnpikico

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 08:21:21 PM

There is no answer as to which is better as it depends on each individual and their reason for using the currency. If privacy is important for whatever reasons then private ledger clearly wins, if transparency is important then a public ledger is best. For most people it probably doesn't matter either way because they have no need to be overly transparent or completely private.

cryptorTUX

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 08:44:57 PM

Edward Snowden said that public ledger is a big flaw in bitcoin blockchain. He prefers the private ledger like Zcash, DASH, Monero. Andreas M. Antonopoulos also said that he wants to modify bitcoin public ledger to something more private. So which one is better the public ledger or the private ledger? What are the pros and cons?

To be fairly honest with you I myself will chose privacy more than the "open and transparent system", not because I am hiding but I find it absurd when you have people developing tools that links each person with each parishes, imagine that some marketing agency starts to do this. Next thing you know it more ads will come to your way to bombard you to buy stuffs, because they know your spending habits because you use open and transparent cash system. So far Zcash and Dash are not private by default, where XMR is. Who knows you should be careful when following public personalities as they might try to shill the coin they have full stash of.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 03:06:02 AM

Edward Snowden said that public ledger is a big flaw in bitcoin blockchain. He prefers the private ledger
He is wrong then. Private ledger was discovered around 1985, its called database. Public ledger was discovered in 2009, its commonly reffered to as blockchain.
Privacy is whole different subject here, you used terms wrong. Public ledger can also be annonymous.
leland orser

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 03:10:25 AM

For now, the privacy token may face legal problems.
Because the privacy token is widely used in money laundering, I prefer to Public ledger.

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 03:21:56 AM

He is wrong then. Private ledger was discovered around 1985, its called database. Public ledger was discovered in 2009, its commonly reffered to as blockchain.
Privacy is whole different subject here, you used terms wrong. Public ledger can also be annonymous.

Well to be fair, he didn't actually mention that he preferred private ledgers. He specifically said that he prefers the privacy properties of Zcash, though he did say Bitcoin's public ledger is its biggest flaw. Some people just automatically attribute privacy to private ledgers, I guess.

Either way, if Bitcoin is facing a crackdown for criminal activity, I can only imagine the firestorm that fully anonymous cryptos would have to brave once they become popular enough.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: