Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:05:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on another planet. Possible?  (Read 6484 times)
letcore (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:15:06 PM

As far as I understand you could spend a Bitcoin on Mars. The light travel time means it could take up to 30 minutes to get the first confirmation, so that's not a massive problem.

But what about having miners on Mars, perhaps to speed up confirmation times for colonists.

How would the protocol fair when say a block is found on Mars and it could take nearly half an hour for it to arrive on earth?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:44:10 PM

How would the protocol fair when say a block is found on Mars and it could take nearly half an hour for it to arrive on earth?
The protocol must be adjusted for the lag in time between nodes at planet A and B so they can have a chance to sync with each other.
each block will need to be at least lag_time * 2 = 1 hour for all nodes to accept the blockchain
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:15:29 PM

If we can get a fast enough connection between another planet and Earth, it could be possible.
waltermot321

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 01:33:31 PM

As far as I understand you could spend a Bitcoin on Mars. The light travel time means it could take up to 30 minutes to get the first confirmation, so that's not a massive problem.

But what about having miners on Mars, perhaps to speed up confirmation times for colonists.

Last I check there is no internet connection in Mars Smiley

GigaWave

Activity: 239

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:21:53 PM

If we can get a fast enough connection between another planet and Earth, it could be possible.

Speed of light is the "fastest internet connection" you are going to get. Which leaves you with a transmit time of between 3 and 22 minutes, depending on the orbit.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:14:07 AM

Mining Bitcoin on Mars is totally infeasible, as almost all blocks mined on Mars will be orphaned by the time they reach Earth. I have talked about a solution before:

Each planet will have its own locally-mined cryptocurrency (Marscoin, etc), which each have a floating exchange rate to the original Earth-based Bitcoin. Marscoins and bitcoins can be directly traded for each other in order to settle interplanetary trade balances, the only issue is the speed-of-light delay for confirmations (which is unavoidable no matter what). Naturally Bitcoin can't be mined on Mars and Marscoin can't be mined on Earth, but that's not important.

An interplanetary coin with a block target of several Earth days (to allow interplanetary mining) is also a possibility for interplanetary trade or as a solar-system-wide reserve currency, but probably not necessary as long as the planetary coins can be freely traded, in which case it's likely that Bitcoin will become the solar-system-wide reserve currency (making all previous price predictions seem hopelessly pessimistic).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
liquiddrool

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:34:00 AM

Check again:

"NASA Shoots Lasers at the Moon to Create Insanely Fast Internet"

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/10/nasa-internet-laser/

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. B5Yw8kpu6ZUT6HEj6aMxrpkXtCmmNJWwb4
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 03:35:51 AM

Check again:

"NASA Shoots Lasers at the Moon to Create Insanely Fast Internet"

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/10/nasa-internet-laser/

laser beam?Huh you mean line of sight.....yea right thats totally economical to limit internet to a 20 minute window each day.
back to reality - don't you think btc will be antiquated?  I don't see humans populating mars at all...or by the time they do, bitcoin will be obsolete completely.  Just cause its a thought doesn't mean it makes any sort of good sense. Mars makes sense like living on the moon does....it doesn't.

Radelderth

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:29:43 AM

You will be more profitable to do real mining on mars.

kuriboh

Activity: 359
Merit: 285

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:12:01 AM

Quick! somebody needs to work on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:16:32 AM

quantum entanglement should allow for instantaneous communication over any distance.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Radelderth

Activity: 202

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:41:30 AM

Quick! somebody needs to work on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible

I don't think this would work, just too good to be true...

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 06:07:16 AM

quantum entanglement should allow for instantaneous communication over any distance.
It shouldn't and it doesn't.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 09:41:45 AM

Mining profitability is bad enough before factoring in billion dollar space missions  Grin

xephireusMMX

Activity: 306

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:48:51 AM

Mining Bitcoin on Mars is totally infeasible, as almost all blocks mined on Mars will be orphaned by the time they reach Earth. I have talked about a solution before:

Each planet will have its own locally-mined cryptocurrency (Marscoin, etc), which each have a floating exchange rate to the original Earth-based Bitcoin. Marscoins and bitcoins can be directly traded for each other in order to settle interplanetary trade balances, the only issue is the speed-of-light delay for confirmations (which is unavoidable no matter what). Naturally Bitcoin can't be mined on Mars and Marscoin can't be mined on Earth, but that's not important.

Depends on Bitcoin hashing speed on Mars, if you have more Bitcoin hashing speed on Mars, Earth Bitcoin miners will not mine much  Sad

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:13:07 PM

Depends on Bitcoin hashing speed on Mars, if you have more Bitcoin hashing speed on Mars, Earth Bitcoin miners will not mine much  Sad

True, whichever planet has the largest hashing power will eventually dominate. Regardless of who "wins", it's not good for Bitcoin as interplanetary currency. Only if the communication delay is negligible compared to the average block-time, will it interplanetary mining be feasible. A coin with a 24hr block-time can be mined on Earth and Mars just fine (assuming a network connection can be established of course).
GigaWave

Activity: 239

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:43:44 PM

Why shouldn't it? I guess you know everything their is to know about quantum mechanics,.... better let the rest of the world know so they can give up their research.
blub

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:21:34 PM

Why shouldn't it? I guess you know everything their is to know about quantum mechanics,.... better let the rest of the world know so they can give up their research.

I cearainly don't know everything that is to know about quantum mechanics, but I've studied quantum mechanics and quantum field theory for more than 1.5 years now.

The problem is: you can enforce a particle that is in a superposition of 2 states to bee in one of the 2 states over great distances, but you don't get to choose which of the states it gets into.

When your communication partner measures the particles, he can't distinguish between particles that were forced into one state by his measurement, and particles that were in a pure state before. So no communication with quantum entanglement

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:41:37 PM

No. Please stop spreading false informations.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 07:09:16 PM

True, whichever planet has the largest hashing power will eventually dominate. Regardless of who "wins", it's not good for Bitcoin as interplanetary currency. Only if the communication delay is negligible compared to the average block-time, will it interplanetary mining be feasible. A coin with a 24hr block-time can be mined on Earth and Mars just fine (assuming a network connection can be established of course).

Using bitcoins as interplanetary currency has been discussed here before, several times.

The only method that makes sense to me is for each planet to have their own version. Travelling from earth to Mars? Sign in to your local exchange before you go and trade some bitcoins for Marscoins. Mining bitcoins would only work for earthlings and mining Marscoins would only work for Martians.

Still around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: